• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rn7554

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I got a temporary job in Canada and moved out of IN for now, I had to change my DL withing first 3 months of the move according to Canadian law, Canadian BMV took away my Indiana DL and told me they have cancelled my IN DL in the system. Do you folks know what would happen to my IN LTCH? can I carry when I visit relatives in IN?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I got a temporary job in Canada and moved out of IN for now, I had to change my DL withing first 3 months of the move according to Canadian law, Canadian BMV took away my Indiana DL and told me they have cancelled my IN DL in the system. Do you folks know what would happen to my IN LTCH? can I carry when I visit relatives in IN?
    Nope. You have to be a resident of Indiana or work in Indiana to be valid. That is the legal version. ;)

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Until you have IN residency again, there won't be LTCH for you, you can get one reissued if you had the lifetime, or you'll have to go through the whole process again for the short term one.

Still a US citizen, just Canada DL? Take a look at the popular Non-Resident permits (AZ, UT, FL, VA, PA,etc), I'm on another gun board with several people that live in foreign countries but keep several current US carry permits so they can carry while traveling for work or pleasure. If you're in the Vancouver area, WA does do an non-resident permit, it just takes a trip to WA to a police station to complete the process, then you'll need to wait a while before it's mailed to you, but if you make trips across the boarder to Seattle a "local" permit might make life easier. There may be some extra hoop jumping but depending where you are in Canada, you may be able to drive through other states if not flying and be good to carry within IN.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Until you have IN residency again, there won't be LTCH for you, you can get one reissued if you had the lifetime, or you'll have to go through the whole process again for the short term one.

Still a US citizen, just Canada DL? Take a look at the popular Non-Resident permits (AZ, UT, FL, VA, PA,etc), I'm on another gun board with several people that live in foreign countries but keep several current US carry permits so they can carry while traveling for work or pleasure. If you're in the Vancouver area, WA does do an non-resident permit, it just takes a trip to WA to a police station to complete the process, then you'll need to wait a while before it's mailed to you, but if you make trips across the boarder to Seattle a "local" permit might make life easier. There may be some extra hoop jumping but depending where you are in Canada, you may be able to drive through other states if not flying and be good to carry within IN.
    You have any idea how Canada makes it almost impossible to bring a handgun into Canada...then he wants to bring it from Canada back into the U.S. Can you say JAIL?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Canadian BMV took away my Indiana DL and told me they have cancelled my IN DL in the system...

This might be THEIR system. I would have trouble believing that they would or could do anything with our system? One way or another, I would verify IN BMV.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    You have any idea how Canada makes it almost impossible to bring a handgun into Canada...then he wants to bring it from Canada back into the U.S. Can you say JAIL?
    He said he wants to CARRY, he may have a family member or friends on this side to borrow from, or secure place to store his location.

There's hoops to jump through, but it is certainly VERY possible to travel between countries with firearms. Just a matter of research, bureaucracy and paperwork.
    Speaking of, here's starting points:
    Prohibited and Restricted Items - CBP.gov
    Bringing Weapons Into Canada | Embassy of the United States Ottawa, Canada
    Canadian Firearms Program - Royal Canadian Mounted Police
    Canada Welcomes You!

rn7554

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

I have Utah non resident, but as far as I know one of the condition to get that was having a resident license from another state, which apparently I don't have the resident one anymore.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Your not going to be a resident of the US, let alone Indiana. :dunno:

Neither of which is required to carry a handgun in Indiana. Some sort of legal carry permit, issued by ANYONE even a foreign country is valid in Indiana. I don't believe Canada's restricted license counts for general carry of a handgun besides to a range or for hunting so you would have to get a non resident license from a different state.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I have Utah non resident, but as far as I know one of the condition to get that was having a resident license from another state, which apparently I don't have the resident one anymore.

I want to say that my wife's uncle has his Utah license and he is in Illinois so no resident permit for him either. Not 100% sure though.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I'd find the issuing agency on that UT permit, then make a phone call Monday morning, explain the situation and see if they say it's valid or not. They can give you a 100% certain on the requirements, and you can figure out the "change of address" procedure with them at the same time as well.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    Neither of which is required to carry a handgun in Indiana. Some sort of legal carry permit, issued by ANYONE even a foreign country is valid in Indiana. I don't believe Canada's restricted license counts for general carry of a handgun besides to a range or for hunting so you would have to get a non resident license from a different state.

My mistake, I thought we were talking about his LTCH in Indiana.

Top Bottom