• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    Ok, I know this might not be an approriate place to be posting this right now, but I can't get this off my mind and thought I'd throw out some questions in the hopes that someone can help ease my fears.

I'm 40 years old, and have always been what I would consider very healthy. I am a smoker, unfortunately, and have no one but myself to blame for that one. I've been sick (low grade fever, night sweats, nausea) for about 3 weeks; it was coming and going...each time I got ready to call the doctor, it'd ease up and then would come back a day or two later. I finally had enough and went to my family doctor Monday afternoon. He did a CBC, and on Tuesday morning, I got a call that there were some results that concerned them. My white blood cells were slightly elevated, but the most concerning thing is that my "abnormal lymphatic cell count" is 65, and it should be zero. They referred me to an oncologist / hematologist and I go to see him tomorrow afternoon. Apparently it's alarming enough that those two doctors (the oncologist/hematologist and my family physician) were on the phone late Monday night discussing my results.

Last night, my collar bones have begun hurting...extremely bad. It's getting worse as time goes by. I'm not sure if it's tied together (I have a feeling it is) or if it's because I've been laying/sleeping so much.

So, obviously, I'm dealing with this with family, but as tomorrow's appointment grows closer, more and more questions and 'what if's' are popping in my head. I've got kids, a wife, and family....this is literally tearing me up. It's going to be a long night and day. I know I shouldn't worry before we get some actual results, but I can't help it...

Anyone been through anything like this, or know anyone who has? Any advice for me?

As always, prayers appreciated.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    If your family is home, go spend some time with them. Much more important than INGO :) The doctors will figure it out, and hopefully you should have some answers tomorrow.

Good luck.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    Wife is sleeping (she's having a pretty rough time with this as well) kids are down at the annual fall festival (don't want to tell them anything until I have some definites) for another hour and a half; so I'm trying to do something to keep my mind busy. I've already tried sleeping...and that's a no go, so here I am.

The past two days I'm realizing alot of important things :)

Thanks PatriotPride.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Been through the waiting game with Dr.s in a very difficult situation like yours. All you can do is wait it out. Best of luck with the results and let us know what happens.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    1) remember to breathe
    2) quit smoking NOW. get the patch, get the gum, get an RX
    3) don't be afraid to get a second opinion
    4) don't come on INGO for medical advice. there are a few here claiming to be medical professionals who are complete quacks, as well the non-professional internet experts

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    1) remember to breathe
    2) quit smoking NOW. get the patch, get the gum, get an RX
    3) don't be afraid to get a second opinion
    4) don't come on INGO for medical advice. there are a few here claiming to be medical professionals who are complete quacks.

Yep, I'm going to talk to the doctor tomorrow about something to quit smoking, but either way, it's gone.

Definitely will be looking for a second opinion if things turn bad. It can't hurt to check.

I guess I'm not so much looking for advice as trying to pass the time, keep myself busy, etc. and maybe find someone who's been through it that might be able to help ease my fears a little, not by saying "this is what's going to happen", but to maybe say "hey, what you're feeling is normal....I understand". You know?

Thanks, Scutter.

I sound like a crazy guy, don't I? I know that whatever is to be, is to be, and the doctors are the only one that will be able to give me the information and anwers I need.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I feel for you my friend. My Dad was diagnosed with cancer last year. They found more this year. I has been a very tough road. Hardest 2 years of my life. I take care of him during the day as my Mother works. All I can say is think positive. That is the bigest thing is positivity. Spend time with you family and stay strong for them. My Dad is 62 yars old and diabetic. Still even after two surgeries he is holding strong. If you need anything let me know. I'm not a Dr. but I have grown some pretty strong shoulders. I hope the best for you and your family.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    Thanks US Patriot. I'm trying to be positive....like I keep telling myself...I don't know anything for sure yet. I'm going to be spending as much time with family as possible, regardless of the diagnosis. Just the scare of this, like I said, has made me realize alot of things that I'd forgotten.

Thank you RachelMarie.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    This isn't exactly like your situation but my wife had a brain tumor removed on the 28th of September. We found out about it on august 31. She has been having headaches a lot in the back of her head where the tumor was. For years but this last year they kept getting worse and double vision started on her left side. We did the MRI on a Monday evening and they called the next morning and had an appointment set up to read it. She told us that there was a mass on her brain. My head went racing a million different directions. It scared the hell out of me. Gergen proceeded to tell us she had another appointment for us with a neurosurgeon later in the afternoon. We felt very comfortable with him and got everything scheduled. Had the surgery and they did a biopsy and it does have a little bit of cancer in it but not full tilt cancer. She does have to have some chemotherapy but not til after her regular therapy to get her home. This has been the toughest thing I've ever been through. I've been getting a lot of prayers from here and everywhere. You got my prayers. Don't know ya but you do. Goodluck and Godspeed.

Ryan

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    erin4u, thanks.

Aggar, thanks for sharing your story. I understand about the mind racing all different directions at once, and about being scared. Thanks for the prayers, and mine are sent to you and your wife also.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Greg,I have no advise for you other than,keep your chin up and dont worry yourself to much...worrying doesn't do any good. I will keep you in my prayers. keep us up dated.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Greg, you have my prayers.

Just under nine years ago I lost my wife after her 7 1/2 year battle with cancer. Through out the whole horror she never gave up, fighting until there was no doubt there was no hope.

With you, there is still hope. First hope that what you are going through is a treatable malady and not cancer, but if the diagnosis does come back the worst, fight with all your might for the sake of your family, as well as yourself.

Also, after you talk to these doctors, get a second opinion. And not only about the cancer, but also the treatment.

Use the internet to research the hell out of the diagnosis, and all the treatment options. There are many new drugs out that make the treatment more bearable, more tolerable.

And further, you don't sound crazy. You sound like everyone else that I know or knew that was worried about a diagnosis. I wish I didn't know so many, but I do know this. Like I said earlier, keep your head up and stay positive. Don't pre-diagnose your illness.

I pray that it is not cancer my friend. And I pray it is also treatable and your body letting you know before all heck breaks loose that you need to tell the tobacco companies that they are no longer getting any of your money.

Top Bottom