• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    In a few months my wife and I are going to be heading out to our off the grid property to live out our remaining years, hopefully a lot of them. Currently the property is undeveloped and we'll be living in an RV while things get going. Being that we'll be 60 miles from the closest town and refrigeration will be minimal for a while we've turned to canning our meats for storage.

Last week was my first and I canned bacon, fried some up this morning and it was bacon :rockwoot: So now I don't have to worry about my bacon fix out in the boonies!

Last night I canned 5# of taco meat, today chicken tenders and another 10# of bacon!

I guess in all this I was wondering if anyone else cans meat here? :dunno:

Deprime

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Hancock Co.
    I just tried canning some bacon this evening. I have read about it but never tried to do it before now. I'm going to let it sit on the shelf for a while and then try frying some up and see how it turns out. If it works out well I will definately be making some more up to add to my preps.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    So does she add anything to the meat or just pressure cook it?

Just canning salt and then pressure cooks it. She says that some do season to taste.

K_Watson, depends on who you talk to, some say 5 years up to 20 years. As long as the lid is sealed it's supposed to be good. We rotate ours about every two years.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    I just tried canning some bacon this evening. I have read about it but never tried to do it before now. I'm going to let it sit on the shelf for a while and then try frying some up and see how it turns out. If it works out well I will definately be making some more up to add to my preps.

I opened a can this weekend (after a week on the shelf) to see how it would cook up. I would say if you want nice strips of bacon you are going to have to bake it, frying it up in a pan it sort of fell apart and became more like bacon bits. Worked out great as I was going to throw it in an omlet anyway, so all's well. Considering in my case it's either this or no bacon it is great :D

I love hot (spicy) califlower an I'm going to try that next I think.

Top Bottom