• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Ok never tried it before but thought it would be something good to learn.
    So I bought a magazine that was on the rack at my local grocery store.
    Bought a "canning kit" on line (late in the season none of the local stores I went to had a "kit"). Bought some good looking strawberries, some jars, some sugar , and pectin(used to thicken). followed the directions and 24 hours later (needed the jars to cool) I have GREAT strawberry jam. Seals are tight, have given most away to friends to try. (with great reviews). If I can do it anyone "can can". Now with dehydrating and utilizing a root- cellar for other items, I have touched some great ways to eat healthier and if in an emergency have some comfort food available if it calls for staying put.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Great new skill! Now save even more by canning what's in season and doesn't have to be shipped. The local u-pick and farmers markets are your friends (especially if you don't hvae a garden). We put up lots of blackberry jam and tomato sauce this year.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    start a garden and can that way. i have canned and pickled so much stuff this year it's not even funny. i have a 50x50 garden or right in that neighborhood and to fill it full of fruits and veggies it literally cost me 30 dollars. and if you do it right with the right stuff you will never have to buy seeds again, so next year it cost you nothing. and you can pretty much can everything that comes out of your garden.

congrats on trying something new. canning is a great skill to have for sure.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I and two neighbors went together and bought 100 lbs of green beans. Cost us about $75 and an afternoon of canning. Best green beans I ever ate. I want to say we got about 120 quarts out of the mess? Had three pressure canners going at once on the back porch, drinking homebrew beer and making beans...Mmmm Mmmmm.

Top Bottom