• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Not in IN. I think that changes if you put a motor on the flat back type ones. But if you're just paddling, no title needed. Same as kayaks.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    No title. Its not a "registered" vehicle. I seem to recall that there is a provision to do some sort of license to prove ownership incase its stolen or something - but not reallly sure on that.

Depending on where you use your canoe, there is a registration fee and sticker that you have to have. I think its for certain lakes. $5/year IIRC.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    No license or registration required. If you are using it on a State managed water body like a reservoir or lake, a $5 non-motorized launch permit is required. If you put a trolling motor on it and use it on the same lake, it is now considered a motorized watercraft and will cost you a $15 launch permit.

Dirty Steve

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    No license or registration required. If you are using it on a State managed water body like a reservoir or lake, a $5 non-motorized launch permit is required. If you put a trolling motor on it and use it on the same lake, it is now considered a motorized watercraft and will cost you a $15 launch permit.

Dirty Steve
    Is that "state managed" or just State Parks? I have used our little jon boat, and plan to use the canoe, in several Forestry lakes.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I went up to Daleville and kayaked down the white river last weekend. DNR was all over some guy in his canoe and searching all over it for some kind of number or ID. Not sure what, but it may be worth a call to DNR to verify.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Is that "state managed" or just State Parks? I have used our little jon boat, and plan to use the canoe, in several Forestry lakes.

From a DNR website:

"All private watercraft using state park, reservoir or forestry lakes must have this permit. This includes personal watercraft, motorboats, canoes, paddleboats, rowboats and all watercraft moored at marinas, private docks, group docks or bank ties. State-owned watercraft and state-managed boat rental concessions are exempt. "

http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/files/sp-LakePermitFAQ.pdf

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    State managed, as I stated and verified by others. That being said, I have put in 50 miles kayaking on State reservoirs this summer (Patoka and Monroe) without being stopped or even asked the time of day. However, a $5 launch sticker is cheaper than a ticket and I can't out run Johnny Law very well in my yak.

Dirty Steve

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom