Can't find what I'm looking for... Do they make it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Hey all, I'm new here and new to hand guns and am looking for something pretty specific, however I am unsure if they even make it... Here ya go.

I am looking for a home defense hand gun for my wife as we live in the boonies and she & I would prefer that she was armed when I am away in order to protect herself and our 4 and soon to be 5 children in the event that she would need to. So here are her potential requirements.

She prefers a revolver due to the simplicity of knowing whether or not it's loaded and the simplicity of the how they work but.... with 4 and soon to be 5 kids under the age of 8 she wants there to be a few more safety features on it, much like a 1911 has.. (i.e. grip safety, thumb safety and trigger safety)

My question is this... do they make such a thing?

I've seen that S&W has one (S&W Model 40) that has both a thumb safety and a grip safety

SW150223_large.jpg

but I have yet to see anything with a trigger safety? Is there any reason that they should?

Thanks for your help!

Wagswook

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've seen that S&W has one (S&W Model 40) that has both a thumb safety and a grip safety

SW150223_large.jpg
    That gun does not have a 'thumb safety' and I know of no revolver that has anything like a 'thumb safety' and none that has a 'trigger' safety.

The thing you see in the picture that you might be confusing with a safety device is not a safety but is rather the thumb button used to release and swing open the cylinder.

The reason you won't find a 'trigger safety' on a revolver is that, on a double action revolver the trigger pull is long and heavy (relative to a semi-auto pistol). The trigger safety on a semi-auto, exists (depending on the gun) to allow the firing pin or the striker to move inside the slide, but on a revolver like you have pictured the firing pin is very likely attached to the hammer, it does not float inside the gun like a firing pin on semi-auto.

smooth308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Martinsville,IN
    All the new smiths have a integrated trigger lock that when ingaged loaded or not will not fire. Unlock via a key that is include with the gun in the revolvers. Only dislike is the hammer has to be cocked to lock it atleast on my model 60.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Taurus has a saftey that locks the hammer in place. It is "key" operated.
    Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Good point. There are some S&W revolvers that have, what have come to be called, 'Hillary Holes.' It is a keyed lock that can be used to lock the firearm and prevent it from being used. Of course that type of system requires that you always have the key handy.

I'm not sure that any of the 'hammerless' guns, like the Centennial Model 40 in the photo, have a 'Hillary Hole' or not. Being that the hammer system in enclosed I don't know if they made them with the lock, I suspect they do. Just don't lose the key.

It should be pointed out that a LOCK and a SAFETY are completely different things.

With regards to Taurus revolver, I don't own one, but every sample I tried has impressed me. Good value for the money, good quality.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The Walther P22 has a key lock as well. It's a major PITA to lock or unlock because of the shape of the key. It looks like the Taurus lock works a lot better.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    You probably aren't going to have luck finding a revolver with external safeties other than the previously mentioned lock types.
    If you're looking for a handgun for home defense, I'd say semi-auto is probably the only type that will have these features. If you're worried about ease of use and simplicity I don't think it's to much harder to learn about them than a revolver. Either one you get, you should practice with anyway so you know how to properly and safely use it if you need to, so why not go with a semi-auto?

You could also look into other options. For example, have you considered simply purchasing a gunsafe you could store it in and have access to it quickly if you need it for defense? This way you could keep the weapon loaded and not worry about children having access to it. Even if you get a gun with safeties I'd advise you do that, because a safety by itself won't prevent an accident if a child has access to the gun. Just my :twocents:

Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    You probably aren't going to have luck finding a revolver with external safeties other than the previously mentioned lock types.
    If you're looking for a handgun for home defense, I'd say semi-auto is probably the only type that will have these features. If you're worried about ease of use and simplicity I don't think it's to much harder to learn about them than a revolver. Either one you get, you should practice with anyway so you know how to properly and safely use it if you need to, so why not go with a semi-auto?

You could also look into other options. For example, have you considered simply purchasing a gunsafe you could store it in and have access to it quickly if you need it for defense? This way you could keep the weapon loaded and not worry about children having access to it. Even if you get a gun with safeties I'd advise you do that, because a safety by itself won't prevent an accident if a child has access to the gun. Just my :twocents:

Thank you to everyone for your responses. We totally agree that no matter the number of safety features one must be fully knowledgeable, trained and frequently practicing with their gun(s) in order to be truly safe. As for a gun safe, yes this is with out a doubt something that we will be purchasing at the same time. What are everyone's thoughts on the GunVault safe with the finger print reader? We'll also have a safe for our other long guns (Ruger 10/22 & Remington 870). Thanks again for your help and I'll let you know what we decide.

Wagswook

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You have received some good advice. Your wife is both right and wrong. She's right about choosing a revolver, because of its simplicity. She is wrong in that now she wants to have one that has a lot of "safety" features to complicate it. She is looking for an easy fix to keep your children safe. Your wife and children desperately need firearms training. There is just no easy way around that. They need to put in the time and effort, and it needs to be a continuous process. The firearms training experience can be a good time for family bonding. If they aren't willing to do that then maybe she should reconsider getting a gun. Maybe a can of pepper spray would be the best alternative. If they do decide to go the firearms training route and get a firearm, if it has to be a revolver and it is not to be carried on the person, then get one with at least a four inch barrel. Get a good lockable box to keep it in that can be accessed quickly. They make different kinds, like some that can be mounted in the wall and covered with a picture. Keep the gun in the box, so the children aren't tempted when adults aren't around.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    All good advice but the most important is to teach children not to touch. My daughter was raised that way and my grandson as well. Both have been exposed to weapons since they were old enough to walk and understand "no". The other week I had cleaned one of my guns and it was on the kitchen table. Wasn't expecting the grandkids and had forgotten it was there when they arrived. My 8 year old grandson went in to get a drink and was right back out and to me to tell me that there was a gun on the table. I wouldn't count on that as my only safety feature certainly, but training them young is very important. It also doesn't hurt that he is a very responsible kid.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    In the past a very few # of revolvers were made with manual safeties. I do not think any are in prodution today..
    And a used one with it would be rare.. We own one from the 1940's that has such a safety..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Murabito Revolver Safety
    Murabito Revolver Safety
    How the safety works

This safety device was designed by Frank Murabito many years ago and has been installed in over 60,000 revolvers.

Tarnhelm Supply has obtained this patented safety device from Mr. Murabito, and we are now the sole source for its installation. It is available for S&W J, K, L, or N frame revolvers and uses factory parts for the conversion. The thumbpiece becomes the revolver safety. The installation does not affect the action or any functionality of the revolver. This conversion should be done only to the older style S&W revolvers, the ones without the keylock above the thumbpiece. As an aside, several times we have seen the factory keylock engage during live fire at the gun range. A better solution is to add the Murabito safety to one of the older style guns. We've NEVER seen the Murabito safety engage during live fire.

It was developed for those of us who would like to carry a revolver, but don't like the idea of a revolver without a safety lever. Simple to use, it is an excellent alternative or add-on to the Magna-trigger safety conversion.

The safety is set by pushing the cylinder latch forward and up. The photograph above shows how the mechanism works.

Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Group, Thanks again for all of your advice. I totally agree with all of it especially the training of all persons in the home, the lock box etc.. All of these were already planned prior to ever posting my original message.

Based upon your responses it sounds like many of you have taken training courses, so which one(s) do you recommend?

let me know,

Wagswook

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    1. Get any revolver she likes.

If she keeps it on her hip in a good holster, it is safe. No "safties" are needed.

If it's not on the hip, it goes in the lock box.

If you need it, you need it. Do you really have time to find a key to unlock it? (Smith and Wesson, etc.) For a gun that is "stored" I can see the usefulness, and strongly recommend a lock, safe, or the equivalent, but for one that is to be kept at ready for defense, and one that you wear it is near useless. IMHO.

For a brand new shooter or one who hasn't yet chosen a gun I recommend the NRA Basic Pistol class. They will get the chance to try a few things. We're having a class this Saturday 10-11-08 - see my post in "Tactics and Training". I have room for one more.

2. google "Eddie Eagle" and indoctrinate your kids as soon as they can understand

3. For more good advise visit Cornered Cat

P.S. back to the original question, what do I recommend for a home defense revolver... a 4" .357 Magnum. A person can, as they gain confidence, go from shooting .38 Special, to .38 SPL +P, to .357 Mag.

S&W - Model 13, 19, 586, 686, etc. ($300-$700)
    Ruger - Secruity Six, Speed Six, Service Six ($250-$350)
    Ruger - GP100 ($300-$600)

My Model 19 loaded with .38 Special is the easiest gun in the world to shoot, and is suberbly accurate.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    + a BIG 1 on the small gun safe. Until little ones understand enough, they are handy. My preference is the GunVault - GunVault - Gun Safes for Home or Office - Home .

You've pictured a snubnose revolver in your original post. For a home defense gun, there's no reason NOT to get a full-size service handgun, in this case a revolver with a 4" barrel.

Those listed above are good choices.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Thank you to everyone for your responses. We totally agree that no matter the number of safety features one must be fully knowledgeable, trained and frequently practicing with their gun(s) in order to be truly safe. As for a gun safe, yes this is with out a doubt something that we will be purchasing at the same time. What are everyone's thoughts on the GunVault safe with the finger print reader? We'll also have a safe for our other long guns (Ruger 10/22 & Remington 870). Thanks again for your help and I'll let you know what we decide.

Wagswook

Get something you are comfortable with and store it in a manner you are comfortable with. As time goes on, those decisions will likely change as you find your own place in the safety/usability spectrum.

The safes are good except that they can fail. Personally, the gunvault is my secondary safe because it's computer can register long or short hits on the keypad as different. That means sometimes I have to key in twice or more. Bad news in an emergency. Other push button safes do not seem to do this to me.

Get your first firearm as soon as possible and learn from it. But do not dawdle on the first. Who knows when you may need it.

Top Bottom