Cant mix and match soft baits? 20lb flouro sucks!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Yeah, Like I said, I'm graduating from primarily live worms and a hook to chasing the bigger fish like largemouth that largely ignore a static worm sitting on a hook. And multiple bass anglers were either runnning 15-20 FC or 20 braid with a leader tied on. FC over mono because mono has a LOT of stretch and you're less likely to set a hook due to the stretch of mono. (and if you are rigged weedless its gotta also punch through the lure too)

So Ive backed down to 10 FC and we'll see. I may lose more lures, but I'm sure I'll have more fun doing that than I was fighting the 20.

So now my travel pack is just a little bigger. with one of these as well.

6.jpeg
    Local bass guys or the online/tv tournament guys?

The tourney guys use heavy line so they can just reel the fish in with heavy drag for speed.

I fish the Gulf of Mex and generally use 10-12lb line. Can catch some pretty big fish but I'm usually looking for stuff in the 10lb and under range. Snook, Reds, Trout, Snapper, Grouper. Can hook onto almost anything though.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    All types of lines have strengths and weaknesses. If you fish a lot you will use all three types, because of this. No one type of line is perfect for all situations.

A typical day on the boat, I would have 4 rods on the deck.
    One has mono, two have fluorocarbon, and one has braid. Mono rod is for top water because it floats and fluro sinks.
    The two with fluro, one is primarily a worm rod, and one is primarily a crankbait rod.
    The rod with the braid is used for throwing jigs and plastics into the heavy cover like big deadfall trees.
    The braid is 25#, the rest are all 8-14. The heavier the line, the harder it is to deal with.

Fluorocarbon is great line but it is very susceptible to abrasion damage. If your fishing around rocks or trees, feel the first couple of feet of your line frequently, and retie when you get the first nick in the line.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've learned not to remove plastics from their bags. Honestly, I don't use a lot of soft plastics anyway, but I have a good bit of them. I mostly carry soft jig trailers, and a few others with me, but again, I keep them in the bags they come in, as I've had problems otherwise. Like you I've noticed that mixing them over the years can cause issues whether heat is involved or not. They can even pit and react to some of the plastic storage boxes.

I also tend not to leave tackle in the car in the sun for days. My gear may be left in my truck in the garage, but not exposed to temps. In the winter, I bring all my gear out of the garage and it goes in the basement (also all line is stripped off, reels cleaned, and rods inspected and eyelets and handles cleaned, etc).

I also don't really use any of the speciality lines. My son will use braid, fluoro, etc. I mainly stick with a decent quality mono in 14 lb or so. I carry 3 or 4 rods when I fish, but just never dabbled in the specialty lines myself.
    Old dog, new tricks. Just never bothered to mess with it. Different casting properties, different knot tying in some cases. Not saying it's not useful for different conditions, but I haven't found a need for it.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Fluorocarbon is great line but it is very susceptible to abrasion damage. If your fishing around rocks or trees, feel the first couple of feet of your line frequently, and retie when you get the first nick in the line.
    I do this frequently with mono as well. Any felt nicks and the line gets cut back to where I don't feel them and the lure retied.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I seperate my lures into quart size ziplock baggies and haven't had a problem in I'd guess 15 years or more.
    There can be issues with treble hooks on hard baits on the bags so be careful with them.
    Colors can run and blend in the heat but I have't had any issues with melting baits.
    It sounds very unprofessional but a permanent marker makes sorting out the bags much easier.
    I don't have any issues with monofilament. I'll flip with 20lb, finesse with 6-10lb, and use 14lb in about every other situation. It varies but don't over think this stuff.
    Fish haven't evolved much in the last few thousand years but Tackle companies are still getting rich.
    I've got the "bonifides" to back up what I've said. Just ask.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Yep. Dad always used to say that most fishing lures were designed to catch fishermen. :):
    I’ve looked at some of these baits and have not seen them in their natural habitat other than the fishing aisles in stores! +1. I hung out a marina at dale hollow one day while our house boat was being repaired.. all the guys coming in asking what the fish were biting and the guy at the counter would change the “hot” bait every little bit... just found it funny. Just go have fun!
    On another note I just order a Penn slammer 2 in 5000 size for my fishing trip next year to the gulf. I have one that size I bought and with a 9’ Rod I can cast a long ways with most artificial baits. 15# braid with a flouro carbon leader ( only because it’s the only line I have to make leaders from so why knot?). Wicked set up for coverage of an area. Hope to head out and fish this fall.!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I’ve looked at some of these baits and have not seen them in their natural habitat other than the fishing aisles in stores! +1. I hung out a marina at dale hollow one day while our house boat was being repaired.. all the guys coming in asking what the fish were biting and the guy at the counter would change the “hot” bait every little bit... just found it funny. Just go have fun!
    On another note I just order a Penn slammer 2 in 5000 size for my fishing trip next year to the gulf. I have one that size I bought and with a 9’ Rod I can cast a long ways with most artificial baits. 15# braid with a flouro carbon leader ( only because it’s the only line I have to make leaders from so why knot?). Wicked set up for coverage of an area. Hope to head out and fish this fall.!
    I have a light 9' surfcasting rod paired with 4000 Daiwa BG that is my go to combo for lures in saltwater. It is a joy to cast and when spooled with 30 # braid and appropriate flouro leader will handle anything of reasonable size.

Top Bottom