• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Ellettsville
    Ok, I have a 99 silverado regular cab truck that my son drives. He is insistent that we put in new speakers ( which it does need badly) and new radio that he can hook up his iPod to. My oldest boy is too busy to help him and I have not messed with car audio stuff since I was a teenager myself.
    Need advice on what speaker brands are good. I'd like a decent quality, I guess middle grade speaker. Not sure if the big name components from back in my day are still decent quality or not. Not havin any amps or subs or any of that kind of thing. Just a simple decent sounding system.

Thanks in advance
    Gump

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    If your just using the headunit (radio) for power then look into Pioneer. they have the lowest RMS rating of major brands, that means that while they won't be super loud, but they also won't require you to crank the radio volume up into clipping range to provide them with the power needed to get them to their "sweet spot" power range.

If you are adding an amplifier, you can choose any brand that sounds good to you as long as you match the power requirements.

I just "completed" my 8 speaker system in my car, let me know what your plans are, and I will offer what advice I can.

don't fall for the 3-way / 4-way gimmick. get a decent 2-way componets or one piece co-axial (woofer and tweeter in line) speakers.

Last edited:

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Im running Infinity in my truck (I also have a sub under the seat for that extra kick), but the Infinity's sound great by themselves as well. They are 5 years old, and still sound great, and I have my music up DAILY.

Alpine also makes some nice stuff. Always liked their products...

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I have had good luck buying stuff from Crutchfield. It even has a selector where you can see what components will fit your vehicle.

As for brands, I have had good luck with JL, Polk Audio, and Rockford. They are middle of the line all around good performers.

If you buy from Crutchfield, I believe they still give you installation instructions.

Good luck with this project!

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    To see what is available and the specifics for your truck try crutchfield.com

Infinity, alpine, kenwood are probably the upper 5 players. There are alot to choose from.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Infinity and alpine... some sonys are good, stay away from the weird named store branded speakers.

radios same thing, stay away from the really cheap ones, the others all have their pros and cons...

wiring is simple, basikly match the colors of the wires in the back to the new harness.

Gump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Ellettsville
    Thanks guys for the input. Ended up calling crutchfeild and ordering from them. Feel like i got a great deal. Kenwood radio/ cd/ipod...bla bla bla.. Even has remote conrol so you dont have to reach all the way to the dash to change stations! Also got 4 pioneer speakers, with some special bracket to mount the front ones in the doors, dash plate, anttenna adapter, wiring harness for the radio and the speakers. Oh and a $25 gift card. Total price, shipped to the house is $219.95! I dont think I will shop any where else for this kind of stuff

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    As mentioned, the install is pretty straight forward, if ya need help dont ehsitate to ask. Ive done more stereo installs than I can count (a fun little hobby)...

Top Bottom