• ...and so much more!
  • oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Here's what I got going on...

I have an hour drive to work (I work in Indy, live southeast). The bad weather in Buffalo and the crap going on in Missouri made me realize if I was stuck or had to bail I was screwed. I'd like to have a bag that has the necessities to get me out and get me home.

Things I have daily in the car include but not limited to: extra hats and gloves, Carhartt bibs and jacket, side arm, knives, flashlight, cell phone charger. That stuff would be grab and go; or just throw in the bag or pockets type stuff.

I recently ordered a 5.11 Rush 72 bag for a couple of different needs but also for a SHTF trunk bag. I'm thinking a complete change of clothes, hygiene items, fire starting, multi-tool, water/stainless bottle, energy bars, modular safety glasses (clear and tinted lenses), extra pistol mags.

I was wondering what some of the more experienced of us had for some suggestions? I'm not looking to survive the zombies in the woods, just to get out and get home.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I assume you live 50-60 miles from work. Average walking speed is 3.1 miles per hour. It will take you one to two days to walk home. If the conditions are bad, it will take longer and be more dangerous.

What are you preparing for? If you're just talking about a snow storm, I'd just spend a day or two at the office until the road re-opens.

You typically don't need extra mags during a bad snow storm. The bad guys will all stay home.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I get your point on the mags, just seems like they should be there. Let's say I'm driving home and get stranded somewhere along the way. I'd like to have the goods to get myself to a friends house or at worse take shelter for a night. Kind of like an over the top over night bag that you could still ward off any angry mob with lol!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We live in Northern Minnesota close to 20 miles from the nearest gas station or anything resembling civilization.A good winter bag is not a luxury,it is a matter of survival.All vehicles have winter bags and gear including -20 sleeping bags,food,stoves,ect...

We are already past the point where the road is even visible.We will not see pavement again until late February or March.They do plow,but not all the way to pavement.Driving on packed snow is easier than driving on ice for sure.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    IMO, you should prep for a car bug in vs a 10 mi walk thru a blizzard. Solar phone charger, some serious boots, sleeping bag, basics u covered as every day carried. Always keep gloves, knit cap, hoodie, orange vest/hat, trail marking tape, maybe a air inflator/jumper cables, 2 d cell light/spare batteries, small backpacker lantern, reading book,
    some snacks that don't freeze. Also a ss cup to melt snow/candles, ss water bottle to store water(only fill to 3/4 if it freezes). Add Poncho, cordage(para cord is nice-get orange, yellow, some green and black) swiss army knife and or a multitool. If you decide to trek out, leave a note on the dash, check and carry your GPS/Compass/map, and remember that a mile or two off track can mean 3-4 miles lost! Throw on your orange vest so you won't get run over by a snowplow.

Some places allow weapon carry, some don't. I like a shotgun vs a handgun if your in a remote area. 1box of shells (25) should suffice. If you have a handgun, you need a LTCH, a long gun eliminates that. You can roll with a loaded one all day. Handguns are concealable..... your choice. Add a Mora knife, or a Kabar, or a Buck, you 're covered.
    Call home often, if possible. Advise an ETA/route. If your overdue, someone can advise local PD/Rescue.

So many scenarios, you need to just tub it, or backpack some starting gear. It will accumulate as you read and learn more. There are some neat books out by Cody Lundin, Myke Hawkes, Les Stroud, Dave Cantebury(you tube vids like crazy), all with basics and sound advice. I watched "Fat guys in the Woods", and learned a couple of quickies from Creek Stewart! Don't cheat yourself for knowledge, read everything. It is a huge topic, people are learning life isn't just going to work everyday.
    Good luck, prep on.

Last edited:

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    IMO, you should prep for a car bug in vs a 10 mi walk thru a blizzard. Solar phone charger, some serious boots, sleeping bag, basics u covered as every day carried. Always keep gloves, knit cap, hoodie, orange vest/hat, trail marking tape, maybe a air inflator/jumper cables, 2 d cell light/spare batteries, small backpacker lantern, reading book,
    some snacks that don't freeze. Also a ss cup to melt snow/candles, ss water bottle to store water(only fill to 3/4 if it freezes). Add Poncho, cordage(para cord is nice-get orange, yellow, some green and black) swiss army knife and or a multitool. If you decide to trek out, leave a note on the dash, check and carry your GPS/Compass/map, and remember that a mile or two off track can mean 3-4 miles lost! Throw on your orange vest so you won't get run over by a snowplow.

Some places allow weapon carry, some don't. I like a shotgun vs a handgun if your in a remote area. 1box of shells (25) should suffice. If you have a handgun, you need a LTCH, a long gun eliminates that. You can roll with a loaded one all day. Handguns are concealable..... your choice. Add a Mora knife, or a Kabar, or a Buck, you 're covered.
    Call home often, if possible. Advise an ETA/route. If your overdue, someone can advise local PD/Rescue.

So many scenarios, you need to just tub it, or backpack some starting gear. It will accumulate as you read and learn more. There are some neat books out by Cody Lundin, Myke Hawkes, Les Stroud, Dave Cantebury(you tube vids like crazy), all with basics and sound advice. I watched "Fat guys in the Woods", and learned a couple of quickies from Creek Stewart! Don't cheat yourself for knowledge, read everything. It is a huge topic, people are learning life isn't just going to work everyday.
    Good luck, prep on.

Great advice, much appreciated.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Kind of like an over the top over night bag that you could still ward off any angry mob with lol!

Perhaps you need to define the situations you want to survive, because you need different gear for different situations. There are no angry mobs in a snow storm. They're too lazy to go out into the cold. If you're talking about being stranded in the middle of a snowstorm, I'd worry about the basics -- food, water, shelter (warmth), etc. Have good cell coverage & battery life so you can call 911.

But you're only an hour away from home. It's not like you're making a five day trip through unpredictable territory. So I'd just read the weather report before you head home. If it looks bad, don't go home. Sleep at work or check into a hotel. Make arrangement with trusted neighbors to take care of your kids or pets if you have any.

If you want to do civil unrest or some sort of SERE situation or Klingon invasion, that's a different prep. It's fun to think about what batleth to include in your kit.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    If the Klingons land anywhere in Indiana, their GPS is broken. Please do us all a favor and direct them to Washington, DC. Just take them to our leader.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    OP, you seem to have already covered the basics of a portable emergency kit suitable for most purposes. If space becomes an issue, you might consider a "survival kit" bag (e.g. the stuff in your 5.11 bag) and an additional bag for that spare change of clothing that you might - or might not - need, depending upon your situation. I keep an emergency BOB (with spare mags for my EDC sidearm) in my vehicle, along with another bag containing my change-the-flat-tire-when-I'm-wearing-my-good-clothes outfit, and still another bag with my seasonal additions for severe weather. As mentioned upthread, you should arm yourself with all the survival knowledge you can gather - and a copy of either the Army/Air Force Survival Manual, the SAS Survival Manual, or some other derivation for your kit, just as a reference. Such references are available from on-line sources and you'll occasionally find them at the big-box book stores - usually at a discounted price.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Car and truck kits have the advantage of weight not being an issue (within reason) so you can afford to be lavish. Here are some additions for bugging in that I can think of based on the OP.

A web belt that will fit OVER your Carhartt bib and clothing so you can carry that sidearm.
    A couple of cans of Sterno for warmth and heat.
    Cheap mylar blankets and duct tape to cover inside windows.
    A cheap sleeping bag that's big enough for you to get inside while wearing your bib - no mummy bags.
    A hatchet.
    A lifeboat ration food bar - compact 6000 Calories to get you through 3 days easily. Instant coffee or tea bags.
    Flag pole and wind sock to show rescuers you're there. (I don't have this yet, but it's on my list.)

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Car and truck kits have the advantage of weight not being an issue (within reason) so you can afford to be lavish. Here are some additions for bugging in that I can think of based on the OP.

A web belt that will fit OVER your Carhartt bib and clothing so you can carry that sidearm.
    A couple of cans of Sterno for warmth and heat.
    Cheap mylar blankets and duct tape to cover inside windows.
    A cheap sleeping bag that's big enough for you to get inside while wearing your bib - no mummy bags.
    A hatchet.
    A lifeboat ration food bar - compact 6000 Calories to get you through 3 days easily. Instant coffee or tea bags.
    Flag pole and wind sock to show rescuers you're there. (I don't have this yet, but it's on my list.)

A couple of more good ideas I didn't think about. Thanks

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    You can separate your car/truck gear, survival gear, and your bug out SHTF gear, so if you carry a messenger bag, would serve probably 90% of your needs. If it is a FallujahFerguson riot, best to get out of dodge best you can. If you are in the middle of it... best of luck.
    That's where your comms are important. Get in know ahead of the traffic, plan an alternate route.

My Wifey thinks I am crazy by asking for 2 or 3 different MapQuest routes if traveling. I like to pick best routes, sometimes closed roads don't show up, and if you miss your exit, there are other ways there.

I use to be an on the road sales guy. Pays to be road saavy, and go different ways. Even made customer stops to new customers due to a drive by. Keep reading, lots of great advice coming in.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Couple of things I have.
    Tomahawk can be a weapon and a les effective hatchet.
    Wool socks
    Zip off pants/shorts can be used in winter and summer
    2 stainless steel bottles, can be heated and store water (summer and winter)
    Fleece good to add to what you are already wearing and can be used in fall/spring if needed.
    Always dress as warm as you need rather than less than you need, and you can add layers to what you have if you get stuck, which might requre more.
    Those cheap space blankets can be had by the dozen or so cheap on ebay.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    While mylar blankets (space blankets) ARE cheap, they are also relatively flimsy and can be hard to work with. I don't know about anyone else, but I have relegated most of the ones I had to last-ditch-emergency use. A mylar sleeping bag runs about $30 and, while more bulky than a mylar blanket, is more suited to preserving body heat and can be reused more easily.

djsmith1000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    United States
    These are some really good ideas. It's definitely on my list to do. The big issue is space in my vehicle with kids. How much room do you guys allocate? Seems like this stuff could easily take up a decent size tote or a good size pack.

Top Bottom