Car/Deer Accident: OK to Put the Deer Out of its Misery?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I came upon a car/deer accident this evening. The deer (a beautiful 10 or so point buck) was still alive. Another driver also stopped. After checking on the lady driving the car, our attention turned to the struggling deer.

The other driver had a rifle in his truck and put it out of its misery. I know what the humane thing to do is. Is it legal without instruction (or whatever) by LEO?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I doubt you will get into any trouble, and it is ethical. Typically it is recommended to contact the relevant law enforcement to confirm it is ok to do so. If someone wanted to really be a jerk, they could push for all sorts of infractions. Hunting without a license, hunting with the wrong kind of weapon for the season, firing a firearm in city limits, etc. etc. etc. I've heard of some cases where after the call, the LEO approves, and in many cases the DNR issues a special permit to take the animal for meat if any of it is still good.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    In Wisconsin they assume guilty until proven innocent. You call DNR or LEO to let them know. Last year wolves pushed a herd of deer out in front of my truck and I tagged the last one. It's dark, deer flipping around down in a bog and wolves not too far........and my cell phone won't work. Screw it, I left. That deer was gone on my way home from work. I didn't like leaving it, but life is cruel.

The flip side is if you find a road kill, you can call DNR to claim it.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    You also have to be careful as some LEOs have different perspectives. I had a case once where the LEO wouldn't shoot the deer even though the deer was paralyzed from the back half. He said he couldn't shoot since the deer was trying to get away (barely crawling with front legs only)!!!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You also have to be careful as some LEOs have different perspectives. I had a case once where the LEO wouldn't shoot the deer even though the deer was paralyzed from the back half. He said he couldn't shoot since the deer was trying to get away (barely crawling with front legs only)!!!

This is probably true, check local listings, be aware of discharge of firearms laws, etc. etc.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

That's exactly what this fella (deer) was trying to do. It was heartbreaking and I'm good with hunting, etc.

This is probably true, check local listings, be aware of discharge of firearms laws, etc. etc.

It was outside the city limits of Mitchell. (Just east of the entrance to Spring Mill Park.) So, we should have been ok there, I think.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Sweet! So it probably took 30 seconds or so to put the deer out of its misery, but 30 minutes for everyone to stop talking about guns an leave the scene, right? :)

:): Nah...It was getting dark and I was going to be late to church...but when the guy said he had a rifle, I forgot about my 38 and the other guy put away what looked to be a 1911 and let him get it over with with one shot.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Oh...and I sent a message to the DNR (via their Facebook feed) to see what they said. If they answer, I'll post it up.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    This is probably one of those scenarios where it's up to the reporting officers discretion. Personally, I wouldn't do it without approval from either the DNR or local LE agency.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Oh...and I sent a message to the DNR (via their Facebook feed) to see what they said. If they answer, I'll post it up.

Here's the response I got:

If possible contact your local Sheriffs Department or our 24 hour dispatch to let someone know what you are doing. A road kill permit can be issued by any law enforcement officer.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    My daughter and I came upon a fawn that was hit and badly hurt but alive. He was just a few hundred yards from my house off the road on the field edge. We called the county sheriff even though I was carrying my gun.

I stayed with the deer and pet her until the cop got there. When he pulled up in the dark I was bending over the deer and the cop thought I was drunk and throwing up. He stopped and said "feeling sick"? I said no I have a deer here. So he came over and said he would take care of it after we left. WE went home and I waited outside for 10 minutes and was just about to go in the house when I heard him shoot it. He left it there. He shot it mid rib cage so probably double lung which works fine. Deer move around quite a bit when they are hurt and you are up close. So you may have a hard time getting a clean shot other than the larger target area of the vitals just like hunting deer.

Then last week in Wisconsin on my way home from deer hunting that night I came upon a lady that had just hit a big doe. The doe was messed up bad but still alive in the ditch behind the lady. I was carrying my gun but I just felt it better to not shoot the deer right there while the lady was waiting for the tow truck. She also said she had called the police so I just let them handle it.

I guess if I'm away from houses and people then I would go ahead and put the deer out of it's misery if the person that hit the deer was okay with me doing it there their presence. Otherwise I would just call the police and let them handle it.

I felt kind of bad about comforting that deer until the police got there and shot it. But oh well there was nothing else to do.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Around here we put it down if needed. Then call authorities and get a permit if you want to keep it. Done it plenty of times, but I realize it can be different depending upon where you live.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm going to guess it's not legal... but it's completely up to the discretion of the arriving officer if they choose to enforce or not. Depends if you get Officer *******, or Officer Friendly.

Tagged for updates.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I guess if I'm away from houses and people then I would go ahead and put the deer out of it's misery
    No such thing really. I live in the most "geographically isolated" area of Wisconsin. Where I hit the deer above is as sparse as it gets around here. Not many places in America on high ground where there is no cell coverage. In my mind, someone hears a shot, sees me go by, then goes for a drive and finds the deer. Calls it and me in. If I forget to call it in when I get to work there is no report on file. It's not hard to figure out which of the dozen people typically on that road at that hour drive a green Ford.

In a PC world laws trump ethics. Go figure. After that I made sure I knew who my local DNR guy was. Funny thing is, he already knew who I was.

Top Bottom