Car key won't turn ignition -- Guess I'll just sit here, then.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Yesterday after leaving the grocery store, I hop in my sweet ride (2001 Dodge Grand Caravan) and go to start 'er up. Unfortunately, they key won't turn in the ignition. After double checking I'm in the right car, I try to turn the key again..and again..and again...won't turn.

I break out my google-fu and find that this is a fairly common problem with Dodge. After none of the "quick fixes" I read about work, I call a tow truck. About 30 mins later, I try to start the car again and this time the key turns and it fires up.

Apparently I'm having trouble with the lock tumblers inside the ignition. Since I don't have the extra couple hundred bucks to have my ignition replaced, can anyone give me advice on what to do -- or point me in the direction of someone who can help on the cheap?

Thanks

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Sometimes the steering wheel is in a bind - as suggested before crank on the steering wheel left and right whil trying your key. Be careful to not break it off in the ignition though. Let us know if that helps.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I kept a padlock that was used outdoors slicked up by squirting a little Breakfree CLP into it every five years.
    I believe I'd try that or some spray silicon.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    Can the key be worn down. I hear if you have a lot if other keys and such on your keyring that's a lot of weight on your key in your ignition and wears it down faster.

Rellik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    I have had 2 vehicles do this to me. Both were fords (mustang and focus) they both had the same thing wrong with them. It was the brake switch. Look for it under your dash the brake physically pushes it in on most cars. Give it a few wiggles and try to start it again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have had 2 vehicles do this to me. Both were fords (mustang and focus) they both had the same thing wrong with them. It was the brake switch. Look for it under your dash the brake physically pushes it in on most cars. Give it a few wiggles and try to start it again.

That will not effect the wheel locking assembly. If the wheel was free of the lock and key not engaged there are deeper issues.....really.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    ive had this problem before, try spraying a little wd-40 in the idnition and see if that helps at all

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I was a shop manager for a few years. What others here have said is good advice, but you "probably" could have avoided the tow truck. Whenever that situation came up, with the key in the ignition, I'd continually push on it from all directions, (pretty forcefully) and rock the key back and forth until it turns. All the while, your left hand is cranking the wheel back and forth. This worked 99% of the time and it was almost a daily issue. Again, obviously there needs to be a repair done, but just saying for future reference.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    Both daughters owned Ford Focus's and about 65K mileage for both the ignitions locked up with the key in them. Private shop where I service the vehicles said this seemed to be common, also with the Windstar vans. The dealerships usually keep the ignition switches in stock cuz it seemed to happen often.
    Unfortunately, happened to both while they were away at school and I had to bite the bullet. I had then both replaced and never had any other such problems. Bad luck or kids being hard with the keys? Don't know. PIA though.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Yes I have had the same problem with my old 01 1500 Silverado, now my son's. You had to put it in, and turn it just right or it will not turn the tumblers.

96ramair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Delphi
    Even with an air bag the caravan is easy took about 10 minutes to change there is a button you press dont need to take the wheel off

Top Bottom