Car thief caught in the act killed in gun battle with former Marine.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    9mm kills perp carrying a .45. Yes, shot placement counts. And the man who successfully defended himself and family was carrying while walking his dog. That makes at least two imortant lessons to take away from this event.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Good story, but it's important to point out that there are no "former" Marines. They may get older, fatter and softer, but once a Marine always a Marine.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Good story, but it's important to point out that there are no "former" Marines. They may get older, fatter and softer, but once a Marine always a Marine.

I appreciate the sentiment, but "former" is the correct term. "Ex" is not.

At least that's what we were taught in boot camp in the 60's. Maybe things have changed. :dunno:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    "Detectives say they recovered at least two weapons from the scene -- a .45 caliber apparently used by the thief and a 9 millimeter from the man who shot the suspect."

I'm sure this quote from the story will be repeated often in the future. I am positive that if it were the other way around, it would be being tattooed on someone right now. I'd love to see the after action report on that incident.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    9mm kills perp carrying a .45. Yes, shot placement counts. And the man who successfully defended himself and family was carrying while walking his dog. That makes at least two imortant lessons to take away from this event.

If you count the bullet holes in the Honda, you come to at least 10 shown. Add to that the number of rounds in the suspect and it adds another lesson in capacity. It looks like the homeowner was shooting through a barrier as well based on the bullet holes in the windshield. That runs counter to two arguments often given. One, self defense rarely involves shooting through a barrier. Two, 9mm does not do well through barriers. I wonder if the suspect died with an empty gun? That could be pretty telling as well.

In any case, the victim's skill and his 9mm allowed him to protect his family, so it ended up as well as any shooting could I guess.

One additional thought: The car was no protection for the suspect that tried to hide behind it.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    How did you come to this conclusion based upon the information in the article?

He didn't. That is one of the "two arguments often given," not a conclusion to be drawn from this shooting. He even numbered them for easy reading comprehension.

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    He should have just let that poor, disadvantaged man steal that truck. It wasn't worth taking a life over property that could be replaced.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    He didn't. That is one of the "two arguments often given," not a conclusion to be drawn from this shooting. He even numbered them for easy reading comprehension.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. This incident kind of hits home for me to a degree since I often take my dog out just before heading to bed and I have vehicles parked in my driveway that could attract thieves. I'm always armed when I go out, but in the past, sometimes went out with just a Sig P238. This story re-enforces my reasons to carry my EDC Glock 23 or CZ 75 Compact from when I step out of bed until I step back in. Stuff happens and it does not always happen to the folks that go looking for it. Sometimes it comes to find you instead. It pays to be ready if it does.

Top Bottom