• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Probably a stupid question, but does Lee make Carbide dies in 308? How about 303 Brit and 243 Win? Anybody know off the top of their head? Thanks.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    I do not think they do, but the better question is why waste your money on carbide rifle dies? You still have to lube, so what's the point?

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    The reason I ask is I finally got a press the other day and Im looking to make some lifetime investment dies that I can use for reloading and experimentation. I was looking for the most durable dies possible. I wont be buying any Dillon items until I work up some good loads for my calibers and my shooting volume (and ability to procure components) justifies it. Do any of you feel that there is any advantage to using RCBS or Lyman dies instead of Lee? My press is a Lee Classic Turret (4 hole) and Im looking to get setup with several calibers. It is set up for on-press priming if that makes any difference.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    I know broom_jm and myself have differing opinions on this, but I like Redding dies for rifle normally. I also have quite a few RCBS rifle dies. On my Dillon presses, I run Dillon dies. When I do work up loads or very small batch quantities of pistol (50 or less) they're normally done on a Redding T7 press with Lee Carbide 4-die sets.

Buying any rifle die set IS a lifetime investment, regardless of carbide or not. Under normal conditions, you will not wear out steel dies. Brass is so much softer and more malleable than steel, it is just not feasible to cause wear to the point of being out of spec. In my opinion, most dies that get damaged are used with extremely dirty, corroded or contaminated brass. If you have brass that is covered in sand and run it through your dies, yes, then you will start causing wear/scratches/etc.

Clean and inspected brass = happy dies

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Ok, so if I wanted to get Dillon carbide dies, would they fit my Lee press?

As noted, yes, the Dillon carbide dies will work on your Lee press. What they will NOT do, is give a longer service life or improve your rifle reloading experience in any way. Using anything less than a fully progressive press, you will never load enough rifle cartridges in your lifetime (on a Lee Classic Turret) to wear out a set of standard steel dies, regardless of who made and marketed them.

What you're asking is analogous to whether or not you should buy the $30 hammer for driving nails or if you really need the $160 hammer. For all intents and purposes, the more expensive tool is not indicated. Dillon makes them for commercial loaders, turning out tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of rounds, per year. As FP notes above, keep your brass clean and your dies will outlive you and your children, most likely.

DoctorThunder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    The only die you should be concerned with being carbide would be the resizing die. Having carbide on the others would be a waste. If you are only resizing the neck, Lee's collet dies are carbide and don't require lube. If you're reloading brass that was shot only out of your bolt gun, then the neck sizing dies will give your brass a longer life. Lee's full-length rifle dies are not carbide and do require lube.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom