Career change suggestions and opinions...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Hey everyone. Last year I finally became vested in my public safety pension. My pension is the basic state pension and it won't pay anything for another 20ish years till I turn 60. It also isn't the greatest of pensions out there, but it is something at least. The last six or so months I've been trying to determine what I could do for the next fifteen to 20 years for a second career. I'm done with public safety, don't really care for working over half the weekends and possibly having to work certain holidays. Money isn't the biggest factor either. I'd be happy if I could just start out somewhere making $40K/year. I could at least pay bills and save a little on that. I actually would rather have a job that offers great vacation benefits, as my wife and I like to travel. The only other thing is I want to get into a field that pretty much has demand across the country in say metro areas of 500K or more.

So I started off thinking computer programming. I took my first intro class this year through a university. Needless to say, I'm just not feeling it. I can do the work, and will likely get a B+ or A- for the class, it is just I don't see jobs like Java Programmer, C++ programmer, full-stack programmer, as something I want to do. Maybe it is because of this particular class, but I know that most of this work will involve sitting at a computer writing new code, doing debugging, etc.. Right now, I just don't see me going that route. This sucks because jobs seem to be endless in this part of IT.

So when it comes to IT, I'm left with Help Desk type jobs and networking type jobs. Both of these aren't as plentiful as app development jobs, but they are out there. I know help desk jobs usually pay pretty low, mid to upper teens, more only if one gets into a more supervisory role. The networking side though can pay more, especially if combined with security as well. While I could continue on my certificate path of my current school, they offer no true industry certifications, plus it is mostly programming language stuff that wouldn't be much of a help for Help Desk type jobs. I've look at programs through Ivy Tech and they are more promising. They offer lots of two year degrees and you get to obtain various industry certifications with those degrees (CompTIA, Cicsco, Microsoft). They even have a current 20-24 week program with a paid eight week internship where you get to get a CompTIA A+ cert as part of the program. Any suggestions on this part of IT or IvyTech's programs would be helpful.

Outside of IT, I know I really like working with my hands and the skilled trades. I always enjoyed doing my own plumbing and electrical work around my house. Ivy Tech offers some programs focused on basic machine usage and some more advanced electronics/robotics type fields. I'm really considering some of the manufacturing factory jobs. I have two relatives who work at Honda and they enjoy it from what I can tell. I know the starting pay is around $17/hour, but I've heard once you get hired full-time as a Honda employee, it is closer to around $20. They have a handful of Sat. where OT is required, which is fine by me as I work over half the Saturdays as it stands now. Plus Sunday pay is double time last I heard. Greensburg though would be a drive for me, but I know there are other factory jobs in Shelbyville, Greenfield, Anderson, etc.. Any suggestions on the manufacturing side of things? Maybe even machine repair, upkeep? Outside of that I'm also open to any suggestions about HVAC and electrical/electrician work as well. This can be at the industrial, commercial, or even residential level.

I have another couple of years in my current job because I do need the money I currently make to finish some stuff around the home and to bank some cash since I have no idea what my future income will be. I currently make about $60K/year so I'm likely looking at taking a $20K-$25K hit if I start out low somewhere else. I'm OK with that since our finances should be OK, so the focus will more be time off benefits, retirement benefits, work schedule, and healthcare vs. wages.

Thanks everyone.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Networking might not be a good fit for you. Depending upon where you work, there could be late hour work, weekend work, etc, as that is when users are not using systems as much. You also could end up on call .

This actually holds true for most operations type IT positions. Although, again it totally would depend upon where you ended up working.

There are a lot of other IT jobs too, DBAs, Server admins, PC techs..

Are you organized and able to run a project? There is always demand for project managers. Get certified and you could have a new career. IF you like that sort of thing and are good at it. Something I most definitely am not.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There's a potential overlap in what you already know and IT: cyber security. Especially if you already had enough interest to take a class or two.

With cyber, there's the digital issues - firewalls, phishing heuristics and all that. But there's also analog issues - physical access to servers, security of external hard drives and thumb drives, social engineering. The latter are all areas that police officers have a built-in familiarity with. If you can handle the basic classes (which, at a certain level, weed out people who can't stick with it), then the payoff is in the better classes.

You might also look at some cyber-security specific degrees or certifications. As a police officer, you're going to have foot-in-the-door type credibility to work either as a consultant on your own or with some other company or organization. From what it sounds like, you could even do a stint with another agency (perhaps federal) and get another pension out of the deal before you retire.

Good luck to you!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having been in the HVAC and related trades you will not like it. There is not set schedule and you only have work when the phone rings. Weekends and Holiday on call is a serious suckage unless you live for the OT.
    There is also the training required. There is a lot more to the trade than meets the eyes. You will need to have above basic level knowledge of electrical, sheet metal, plumbing, customer relations skills and more. Most all of this is learned from doing it. A school will only teach theory and how to read a diagram unless a lot has changed. Just knowing were to use a screwdriver is a plus over some of the turds I have seen in the trucks but again, at your age this might not be what you are seeking.
    But the upside is the work is everywhere.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I started out my young life looking at Electrician as a Trade and I eventually got my journeyman card but my interest in the field led me into Electronics and it has served me well, there's a lot of problem solving, I've rode the desk and been in the field for weeks at a time. it involves programming which you already looked into but that's only a small part of the overall trade. You can be machine repair to research facility.

The world is your oyster

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Depending on if your wife works or not....maybe become an independent insurance claims adjuster, CAT adjuster. That was my plan after the kids were out of school, but then came my granddaughter, and I aint leaving her for 5-6 months a year. So my plan got deep sixed. With CAT adjusting you definitely get paid to see the country. You will make good money(six figures), travel the country and maybe work 5-6 months a year. The down side is you will be a self employed contractor, have to be able to drop everything and be deployed in 48 hours, no insurance and work your tail off when deployed to an event.

Of course you could work locally in house for the company....but the money isnt as good. But you are home most nights, no self employment taxes and insurance provided.

Just a thought.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Work security for a large Fortune 500 company. You will just walk around a building, watch people enter and exit, drive around the parking lot, etc. You will be in the corporate family so you will be on their group benefits.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Work security for a large Fortune 500 company. You will just walk around a building, watch people enter and exit, drive around the parking lot, etc. You will be in the corporate family so you will be on their group benefits.
    If they don't outsource it.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I think right now I'll likely try to see about a path into mechanical robotics/electrical type work but still open to IT support, just something without a lot of programming involved.

Top Bottom