• ...and so much more!
  • Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I turned wrenches for 27 years and when I was about your age, I went back to school. Now I'm a software developer. I just got tired of doing what a kid (me) told me to do.

I think you will be fine if you want to be a truck driver. Do what you love to do. Also, it is a skill so it comes with some built-in security. Not everyone can drive a truck. I never had trouble finding a job as a mechanic when I was younger.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I just changed companies 3 months ago after working at the same place for 8 years, which is saying something since I'm barely 30. It's been great, but I know I'll always have the opportunity to go back if it doesn't work out here. So that kinda helped my decision. It was too good of an opportunity to pass up, but if I get a couple years into it and I hate it then I know I'm always a couple of phone calls away from being back to work the next day.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    A couple of things.
    Don't burn bridges. Give proper notice and don't be a dick, even if you think they haven't done right by you.
    Never be afraid to look at new opportunities.

This right here is spot on! I have left every job with an offer to come back if things don't work out with the new job.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    A couple of things.
    Don't burn bridges. Give proper notice and don't be a dick, even if you think they haven't done right by you.
    Never be afraid to look at new opportunities.

This right here is spot on! I have left every job with an offer to come back if things don't work out with the new job.

I will NEVER be a dick. I will give the proper notice. All in all, I can say the company treated me well most of the years I have been there.It has just been the last few that I haven't liked. I seriously dought I will have a job to go back to once I leave, but that is OK.

I also want to thank all of you that have PMed me or giving me leads in this thread. I can't say enough about the folks on this forum. This group truly looks out for everyone on here. -Jason

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Yep. case in point:There is a gentleman that started (again) today in my dept. He lives in B'ton and commuted to the east side of indy. He found a job down there and took it and he gave his notice. Our boss even took us all out for a going away lunch for him. fast forward a year and his new employer is floundering and told him to find a job ASAP because his was going away (along with many others). We needed to add another body so he was rehired.

And the best thing? His boss actually extended his position 60 days because he knew he couldnt start until today but had a job. THAT is taking care of an employee. (or maybe not wanting to be on the hook for unemployment benefits)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Yep. case in point:There is a gentleman that started (again) today in my dept. He lives in B'ton and commuted to the east side of indy. He found a job down there and took it and he gave his notice. Our boss even took us all out for a going away lunch for him. fast forward a year and his new employer is floundering and told him to find a job ASAP because his was going away (along with many others). We needed to add another body so he was rehired.

And the best thing? His boss actually extended his position 60 days because he knew he couldnt start until today but had a job. THAT is taking care of an employee. (or maybe not wanting to be on the hook for unemployment benefits)

That's awesome!.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    Just following up to see how it's going. Many of us will be interested.

I applied for a position while I was on vacation for Christmas. I got a call on Tuesday, an email for a questionnaire. A follow up call on Thursday wanting to interview me as soon as possible.
    I had an interview today with a trucking company to work on their dock. It a part time position for at least 90 days, that is the only way they hire. I walked in the building like a nervous Nelly. Walked into the office like I was going to chat with a friend. His first question was what was one of my favorite hobbies, so I talked about IDPA. I ended up interviewing with another guy too. All went very well.

I signed a piece of paper authorizing a background check (will NOT be a problem) and then we will go to the next step of a drug screen (again, will NOT be a problem.) He had said that he is looking to get 15 people moved into full time soon and my willingness to get my CDL B on my own showed that I know what I want and will do the things it takes.

There is a downside, I will have to work around 25 hours a week in addition to my 40 hour a week job until I make full time. This will cut into my family time, I have discussed it with my wife and she understands that it will be a short inconvenience for the greater good. (I married a good one)

Pay wise is incredible considering it is a part time job. Couldn't get over that part. The first guy I talked to had to bring up pay because I wasn't even really concerned about it. I'm looking a year or 2 down the road.

Now the not so fun part, the dock or terminal is not heated and the dock doors are always open. So I have to research steel toe boots above the ankle that are WARM! I will also be getting a pair of Carhartt bibs and a upgraded jacket. Along with good gloves and hat.

I do want to thank you all for the words of encouragement and all the other avenues to look down. I have talked to a lot of people about this more as a sounding board to see that I can in fact do this. The reason I did this was mainly because I have never done anything like this before. I have always just "went with the flow", now I am traveling upstream.

The farther I peruse this, the more I really want to do it. -Jason

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    Great! Sounds like you have a foot in the door. Who knows where it will lead? Having the support of your wife makes all the difference. Your starting off 2017 in good way. Good luck!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I applied for a position while I was on vacation for Christmas. I got a call on Tuesday, an email for a questionnaire. A follow up call on Thursday wanting to interview me as soon as possible.
    I had an interview today with a trucking company to work on their dock. It a part time position for at least 90 days, that is the only way they hire. I walked in the building like a nervous Nelly. Walked into the office like I was going to chat with a friend. His first question was what was one of my favorite hobbies, so I talked about IDPA. I ended up interviewing with another guy too. All went very well.

I signed a piece of paper authorizing a background check (will NOT be a problem) and then we will go to the next step of a drug screen (again, will NOT be a problem.) He had said that he is looking to get 15 people moved into full time soon and my willingness to get my CDL B on my own showed that I know what I want and will do the things it takes.

There is a downside, I will have to work around 25 hours a week in addition to my 40 hour a week job until I make full time. This will cut into my family time, I have discussed it with my wife and she understands that it will be a short inconvenience for the greater good. (I married a good one)

Pay wise is incredible considering it is a part time job. Couldn't get over that part. The first guy I talked to had to bring up pay because I wasn't even really concerned about it. I'm looking a year or 2 down the road.

Now the not so fun part, the dock or terminal is not heated and the dock doors are always open. So I have to research steel toe boots above the ankle that are WARM! I will also be getting a pair of Carhartt bibs and a upgraded jacket. Along with good gloves and hat.

I do want to thank you all for the words of encouragement and all the other avenues to look down. I have talked to a lot of people about this more as a sounding board to see that I can in fact do this. The reason I did this was mainly because I have never done anything like this before. I have always just "went with the flow", now I am traveling upstream.

The farther I peruse this, the more I really want to do it. -Jason

Congrats and hopefully you'll get it.

As far as the boots go, I love the Redwing composite safety toe. Since it isn't steel, it doesn't keep cold like steel does. I've had them for a few years now and can't complain. I'm usually only outside for now more than an hour at a time though.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I hope to make a career change soon...I`d like to retire from that evil corporation I work for, and find something fun to do. Hopefully, either something hunting or firearm related, or, perhaps volunteering at church. PLEASE Lord, let me retire soon!

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    Well I got the job. I start Tuesday night. It will only be for a few hours a night to start so I will be keeping my job for now. Now I will be looking for any way to get into a full time position after the 90 day "probation" period. I will also be getting my tanker and HazMat endorsements this Friday. All is going well I even said an extra prayer at church about it this morning. Hopefully before June I will have a new full time job.

Thanks for all your well wishes on my en devour.

As boots went, I ended up getting wolverine composite safety toe. I wear a size 14 and the redwings we just to heavy compared to the wolverines. I am also going to try out the heated insoles to keep my toes nice and warm. -Jason

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Well I got the job. I start Tuesday night. It will only be for a few hours a night to start so I will be keeping my job for now. Now I will be looking for any way to get into a full time position after the 90 day "probation" period. I will also be getting my tanker and HazMat endorsements this Friday. All is going well I even said an extra prayer at church about it this morning. Hopefully before June I will have a new full time job.

Thanks for all your well wishes on my en devour.

As boots went, I ended up getting wolverine composite safety toe. I wear a size 14 and the redwings we just to heavy compared to the wolverines. I am also going to try out the heated insoles to keep my toes nice and warm. -Jason

Congratulations on getting the job. I pray it`s what you hope it to be.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    UPDATE for all..

I have been working for Dayton Freight on the dock since Jan. 18 part time. I got my CDL B with HazMat and tanker endorsements. Per company policy I cannot drive for them till I have been there for 6 months. That ends on July 18th. I have had several conversations with the manager and I am the ONLY dock worker that has his CDL and is ready to go and he cannot wait till I can drive. I go on vacation with the family in the beginning of June. Hopefully they will ask me to turn in my 2 weeks notice at the end of June and I will start my training before my actual 6 month date. I cannot say enough about this company, they are really good people to work with. Now I just sit and wait. I will start out in a 26ft cabover KW box truck. After a year of driving that I will get my A's and move into a big boy truck. Their day cabs are T680's and Internationals, not sure what model they are.

I cannot thank all of you enough for your words of encouragement. I really do like the INGO family. I don't get on here much now with all the crazy hours I work and my family, but I do get on here from time to time on the weekends. -Jason

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    I am glad to hear the new job is working out so well. I turned 40 a few months ago and started to think about what I wanted to be when I grow up. I pray I can have the courage to do what you are doing when the time comes.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Congratulations. And if they give you a choice, stay away from the International's, especially if they have the MaxxForce engine. You'll get to know the tow truck drivers real good.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    Update for all again.

I put my 2 weeks notice in at my old job this past Monday. My boss said the timing sucked as we are getting crazy busy. But he understood that I was doing this for all the right reasons. I start my new job at Dayton Freight on Monday Aug. 7th training to be a driver. It is a 4 week training period where I will be getting a brand new straight truck sometime in September. I have 4 days left at my old job and I have to say it is rather scary to leave something I have done since I was 18 over 28 years ago. I do look forward to the new job and I believe I will really enjoy driving and being outside since I have been inside for so long.

Again thanks to all for the encouragement for what I have been doing for the past 6 months. My family has been VERY helpful in all this since I haven't been around much with the 2 jobs. -Jason

Top Bottom