• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I can tell you that when I anticipate having to remove my holster and stow it in the van, that I throw my mag carrier in a cargo pocket. It is not easy/quick to get to, and it also "swings" and cracks me in the leg a lot. I wouldn't want to carry a handgun in that fashion at all. I would get a smaller gun and rock a belly band or IWB...but I carry a g19 and it conceals very well iwb/owb

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I don't know of a build IWB doesn't work for. I've tried carrying my BUG (a snubby .38) in a cargo pocket and I found it very annoying. The weight in combination with the big pockets causes it to move quite a bit when I walked, and it would knock into door frames/tables/whatever else I walked past. IWB conceals well in a quality holster all the way from "twiggy frame" to "jumbo fat-ass".

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Uncomfortable, it slaps around with every step. I pocket carry in my back pocket now when I need to be super concealed.

ETA: I was hacked, but still agree with this statement...lol

Last edited:

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    I have a few times more for quick carry errands. It didn't last long.

I found the pockets (on both shorts or pants) to be too loose and weight of even a small subcompact (a CM9) really swings around with each stride noticeably. It ends up banging the thigh and becomes rather annoying.

It also is not a quick draw, especially if the cargo pocket uses buttons and you close it. You could leave it open, but then risk it falling out when sitting, getting in/out of cars, moving quick, etc. It would also snag a bit when removing it from the pocket as there was nothing adding resistance to the pocket.

Perhaps if the cargo had an inner pocket to hold the pistol in a more draw-able position. Note, all cargo pockets are not created equal. Some are more baggy than others and closures vary.

I guess in the end it is a pocket and do-able, just wasn't ideal.

How are you with fanny packs? :D I've even seen one person who found a large enough cell phone belt case that his small pocket pistol fit inside it.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    I don't know of a build IWB doesn't work for. I've tried carrying my BUG (a snubby .38) in a cargo pocket and I found it very annoying. The weight in combination with the big pockets causes it to move quite a bit when I walked, and it would knock into door frames/tables/whatever else I walked past. IWB conceals well in a quality holster all the way from "twiggy frame" to "jumbo fat-ass".
    Possibly an extreme swing belly?:)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Possibly an extreme swing belly?:)

Nope, IWB works for that build as well. Trust me. :D

Glock 27 in MTAC when I was at my heaviest.
    404492422.jpg

Full Size M&P now (75lbs lighter but still JFA).
    406889236.jpg

Last edited:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Concialing a pistol in a thigh pocket of cargo pants is a paint in the leg. It slaps or bangs against your leg with every step. Other than that first reason to not carry that way it is harder to reach the pistol in that pocket while standing up and the idea of a loaded pistol swinging all over the place in one of my pockets doesn't sit right with me.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Nope, IWB works for that build as well. Trust me. :D

Glock 27 in MTAC when I was at my heaviest.
    404492422.jpg

Full Size M&P now (75lbs lighter but still JFA).
    406889236.jpg

I carry most of my weight in my gut - IE, a 'dunlap' ;). Obviously the good answer is to lose 75 pounds like you did, but that doesn't look too bad. How comfortable was carrying in that position?

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Using the cargo pockets for anything with any weight to it is an insufferable annoyance, if not outright pain. Have you thought of something like this:

Amazon.com: ProTech Cell Phone Concealed Carry Holster: Sports & Outdoors

It works moderately well for a snubby revolver, and I'm sure would work very well for a small auto. The phone on the outside does a pretty good job of concealing the firearm behind it, and a slightly loose shirt does the rest.

Hope that helps!

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The only use for the extra pockets in the cargo pants I wear is either for extra mags, phones, flashlights, etc

RspecZX6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Shelbyville, IN
    I tried the cargo pants thing with my .25 in a pocket holster and found that it would always slap my leg when I walked.

I'm a big guy and I typically do IWB carry.

vstrom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Elkhart
    I have tried doing yard work with an M&P 9c in the cargo pocket. With all the flopping around while walking, it was quickly placed in the front regular pocket where it rested quite comfortably. It did print a very impressive bulge though!

Top Bottom