• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    1. I've tried to do a search on my question and can't seem to locate the answer, thus I'm asking.
    2. I'm NOT trying to make this a CC or OC debate. Both are wonderful, keep carrying as you see fit.

QUESTION: Is it OK to CC at the Carmel Public Library?
    The only reason I ask is because it is so close to the CPHS that I didn't know if there was an unknown restriction because of the proximity to the school. I will be in the library in the near future, and checking with the experts here on the legality of carrying there.

Thank you...

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'm no expert, but I've carried there thinking I'm perfectly legal. There's no daycare or school on the property. Just don't park across the street at the school and you're good IMO.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Libraries are not restricted locations under the IC so if you have an LTCH you are permitted to carry there. Be sure to check that they don't have a licensed daycare, or some auxiliary function other than as a library, that may run afoul of the IC. Being near a school does not restrict you, so long as the library is not actually ON school property.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Libraries are not restricted locations under the IC so if you have an LTCH you are permitted to carry there. Be sure to check that they don't have a licensed daycare, or some auxiliary function other than as a library, that may run afoul of the IC. Being near a school does not restrict you, so long as the library is not actually ON school property.
    Expanding on that, assuming it is not limited by the school restrictions, wouldn't it's status as a public library require it to allow (or more correctly prohibit it from disallowing) the JFC of firearms?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Need to be careful on your way out, not only is CHS across the street, but Carmel Elementary is right behind, and you can go straight from the library parking lot to the school one; in fact I'm not sure it's possible to leave without doing so. There is a lot to the west where you should be ok.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    First as others have stated the Carmel Public Library is OK for carry so long as there is no licensed day care center in it (based on their website it appears there is none).
    If there is it gets a bit more tircky but for this case we are going with none. This means the entire library property is OK.

Now as to where do the schools start/end the GIS website is your friend for these type of questions in figuring out.
    Hamilton County Flex Viewer
    Looking at the GIS website and locate the library you will see that the Carmel Clay Public Library Building Corp owns several lots on the SOUTH side of Main Street and WEST side of 4th Ave and one big lot on the EAST side of 4th ave.

Going to google maps those lots are the parking lots to the WEST and SOUTH of the library buildings. Since those belong to the library you are OK.
    DO NOT however go into the lot SOUTH of the south parking lot of the library as that lot belongs to the school.

BTW every county in Indiana has a GIS website.
    Google <county name> + Indiana + GIS and you should find it.
    It will show you all the lots and who owns them so you can make sure you are not walking into GFZs.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    First as others have stated the Carmel Public Library is OK for carry so long as there is no licensed day care center in it (based on their website it appears there is none).
    If there is it gets a bit more tircky but for this case we are going with none. This means the entire library property is OK.

Now as to where do the schools start/end the GIS website is your friend for these type of questions in figuring out.
    Hamilton County Flex Viewer
    Looking at the GIS website and locate the library you will see that the Carmel Clay Public Library Building Corp owns several lots on the SOUTH side of Main Street and WEST side of 4th Ave and one big lot on the EAST side of 4th ave.

Going to google maps those lots are the parking lots to the WEST and SOUTH of the library buildings. Since those belong to the library you are OK.
    DO NOT however go into the lot SOUTH of the south parking lot of the library as that lot belongs to the school.

BTW every county in Indiana has a GIS website.
    Google <county name> + Indiana + GIS and you should find it.
    It will show you all the lots and who owns them so you can make sure you are not walking into GFZs.

This is GREAT information! I've always wondered and not been able to figure out who actually owns the baseball fields south of the grade school that is next to the library in the OP. Most people in Carmel I've spoken to think it is owned by Carmel Dad's Club but this GIS map says otherwise.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    This is GREAT information! I've always wondered and not been able to figure out who actually owns the baseball fields south of the grade school that is next to the library in the OP. Most people in Carmel I've spoken to think it is owned by Carmel Dad's Club but this GIS map says otherwise.

You are welcome. So who owns them and does that make them a GFZ?
    That website or set of websites (GIS) come in handy when you are trying to figure out the church/school issue.
    At least in Lake County, IN the Gary Diocese of Gary is the one that owns the majority of the catholic private schools in the county even thought they each have their own school board. The churches end up owning just a priest house in most of these situations. So in reality the church, the school grounds, extra buildings in use, etc are all GFZ and in most cases they are spread over a large area with residental homes in between.

St. John The Evanglist in St. John, IN is a good example. The Diocese owns close to 10 buildings that are used for school/church functions and the actual church only owes one small house.

Top Bottom