Carry ammo choice? Your thoughts on setback.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'm well aware of the cost of hi-end JHP carry ammo of some makes. I just wondered if the WWB Personal Protection JHP's in boxes of 50 are worth the price? Given 9mm capacities and extra magazines I could easily see $60+ in carry ammo. Do some rounds have more "setback" upon re-chambering? In 9mm I'm not noticing any, then again, it's not like I'm testing setback with multiple chamberings.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Set back usually results from multiple chamering of the same round. Here is a typical scenario: shooter loads magazine and racks top round into the chamber. Some time later, shooter unloads, then reloads and the second round in the mag is chambered. Shooter then puts the first round back into the magazine. Repeat the process a number of times, and the top two rounds in the mag are repeatedly chambered--first one, then the other, and do on.

WWB is, typically, very good practice ammo, and I am unaware of any tendency to be more prone to set back than "premium" ammunition. Additionally, practice ammo tends to be used up rather than re-chambered repeatedly. Set back is usually observed with "carry" ammo that does get re-chambered repeatedly.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    $60.00 in carry ammo vs. Your Life??

I'd make sure my firearms was packed full of the best ammo I could find, cost isn't even an issue

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Do some rounds have more "setback" upon re-chambering? In 9mm I'm not noticing any, then again, it's not like I'm testing setback with multiple chamberings.

I wouldn't think most rounds (as in calibers) would really be more prone to set back than others. I have thought I get set back faster in a caliber with a much shorter locating surface such as .357 sig though.

I do also think there are a few variables where you might get a little set back faster than the next guy. How the round travels up the feed ramp into a particular chamber, the amount of case mouth tension on the bullet, even the lack of crimp can play a small part.

Just be aware it can be an issue. Keep multiple chamberings down to a minimum. Look at your ammo... Compare the OAL of round in question to another round.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'll be looking for better carry type ammo. Is setback more of an issue with certain calibers?

With the exception of calibers with a short neck, I have never felt set back occurs at a faster rate from one caliber to another. I think the particular gun would have a larger role than the caliber.

Now, if you have equal amounts of set back between (2) different calibers, it can have different results. How much, I wouldn't know. All I know is if I saw say .030 of set back in a standard pressure .45 ACP I wouldn't be as concerned as if I saw the same .030 in a +P+ 9mm loading.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I'll be looking for better carry type ammo. Is setback more of an issue with certain calibers?

Here is an excellent list of 9mm ammunition that meets/exceeds all FBI terminal ballistic protocols:

9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP (P9HST3)
    Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Source: Dr. Gary K. Roberts, Letterman Army Institute of Research.
    Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums

I am unaware of certain calibers being more prone to set back, but, as an earlier post pointed out, a gun's configuration--magazine, feed ramp, slide spring, etc.--might have the most influence. As long as you are rotating your carry ammo, you shouldn't have any concerns.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I only chamber a round once. That round gets put at the bottom of the mag. Once all rounds have been chambered they get fired, I'm just annul like that. Also, don't think you need to spend $30 for 25 rounds to have a good SD load.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Once a month or so I shoot the round in the chamber and the top round in the magazine for my carry weapons, then I load two new ones at the bottom of the magazine. I'm not worried so much about setback but oil contamination of the powder. I had that happen in one of my pocket guns that I had to keep oiled in the summer to keep it from rusting. The ammo was six months old and the second round, the one that could easily wick oil as it contacted the slide, had just enough oomph to put the bullet into the barrel.

After that I just started my rotation routine and it's worked very well since, not had any issues in thousands of rounds of carry ammo cycled over the years since.

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    Do some rounds have more "setback" upon re-chambering? In 9mm I'm not noticing any, then again, it's not like I'm testing setback with multiple chamberings.

According to Hornady, their Critical Defense "bullets are cannelured and crimped to avoid bullet setback."

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Once a month or so I shoot the round in the chamber and the top round in the magazine for my carry weapons, then I load two new ones at the bottom of the magazine. I'm not worried so much about setback but oil contamination of the powder. I had that happen in one of my pocket guns that I had to keep oiled in the summer to keep it from rusting. The ammo was six months old and the second round, the one that could easily wick oil as it contacted the slide, had just enough oomph to put the bullet into the barrel.

After that I just started my rotation routine and it's worked very well since, not had any issues in thousands of rounds of carry ammo cycled over the years since.

Interesting. Gotta admit I hadn't considered this. I think I have a new carry ammo rotation practice!

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Shot a box of commie world winchester 110 grain 357 target/ self defense. Oddly enough no bullet set backs. :twocents: Decided to load my own winchester 110 gr bullets with some bullseye powder, its a little hotter and a litte faster now:D

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I tend to save the mag I've been carrying for the last volley at the range. I shoot a lot of cast lead, and the jacketed ammo I've been carrying between range trips (at least in my mind) helps clear out any leading I may have in the barrel, and ensures that I put fresh carry ammo in my carry mags...

When I carry a wheel gun, I never worry about setback.:D (Although I HAVE had an issue with bullet jump. A heavy crimp solved that problem, though...)

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've applied similar procedures of shooting my chambered carry ammo round then unloading the rest to shoot my range ammo in the magazine. I've yet to purchase, or try, some "better" types of carry ammo. I'll be looking into it for sure though. I have however, tried the WWB "Self Defense" ammo. It's in between the plinker stuff and Hornady grade pricewise (most likely qualitywise too).

For me it has cycled fine and each one went bang but I have seen setback in .45 ACP but not in 9mm in either of my friends glock or XDm. One chambering of the 45 I can notice setback next to an unfed round. The 9mm we chambered a couple times, if there was setback you'd be very hard pressed to see it with the naked eye. Calipers quite possibly, but we didn't have them.

I read an excellent article on tuning the 1911 for reliability in an issue of American Rifleman earlier this year and have thought of having some work done to it (polisihing the feedramp, maybe barrel throating). I love the 45:rockwoot: but the capacity of the 9mm is very tempting, especially with some hi-quality 147 gr JHP's.:n00b:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Bullet setback is not an issue for the 9mm and 45 ACP that I have carried for a living in the past.

9mm does not move back because of the neck tension. 45 ACP moves back until the powder stops it.

Not an issue. No matter what the internet commando's say.

Top Bottom