• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    First post so I hope i don't break any rules. :): I currently carry 72 gr MagSafe hollow points. Is this sufficient enough for everyday carry as well as self defense in an apartment. Meaning will it penetrate through my apartment and into the next (which I obviously do not want). Loaded in a glock 27 if this helps. Thanks Guys and Gals

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Yeah I know for sure Magsafe comes in 46, 72, 84, and I believe 90 gr. but I am not positive about the 90

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    ok i was just checking. i had never seen that grain count before on a .40 round. this is a pretty good topic though as the last thing you would want is a stray round going through and through a wall into a neighbors apartment. sorry i cant be of much help. i am not familiar with that ammo. i carry 165 gr. speer gold dots in my 27.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I had ran across a website with an article about test with clothing but I cant seem to find it again. I have however managed to find more mixed reviews on it.

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    A friend of mine fired a shot (.38 revolver - weapon malfunction) into his living room wall at about a 45 degree angle. The round did not penetrate into the kitchen. I don't have any good information about the type of round bur, nonetheless might help you make a comparison.

And Welcome To INGO!

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    It will mostly depend on the wall or floor construction. Whether you hit a stud or just sheet rock. Low recoil personal protection ammo may be a good choice. Good Luck.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That lightweight stuff doesn't instill any confidence in me personally...

The name of the game is to get the perpetrator/s to stop perpetrating. I'm not convinced that those rounds are capable of stopping someone who may be hopped up on God-knows-what and doesn't feel any pain.

If some hopped up dude or dudette breaks into MY place, I want penetration on the target. (And a good carpet cleaning service...but that's another thread)

I think it'd be interesting to go out and buy a coat and some jeans from Goodwill and then shoot your present loads through them to judge penetration.

If you're still concerned about over-penetration, you could always look into the more conventional weighted frangible rounds that are supposed to disintegrate upon impact with hard surfaces.

Knowing your "shooting lanes" within your apartment will help a great deal, too.

Keep in mind, anything designed to penetrate 12+ inches of body will also be quite able to penetrate several layers of drywall.

-J-

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Cold hard facts are, if it won't penetrate drywall, it won't penetrate heavy clothing adequately, or the bad guy adequately.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    I know that my .357sig Gold Dots will go right through into my neighbors apartments, but it wont go through the exterior bricks. When I looked into what guns and loads to run for home defense I looked at penetration and effectiveness. I wanted a round that would do its job and not over penetrate. According to reports from the real world .357S GD rounds are often found caught in the clothing after exiting the body, or a few feet behind it on the floor. I like the idea of expending all of its energy, not just because of the rounds efficiency but also because then I don't have to worry as much about putting holes in the place. I know that if I miss it will be less than friendly to the neighbors, but that is a problem inherent with apartments.

My general thoughts are that if I have to shoot in here that I will only take shots that are lungs and up. A low shot could put a bullet right at pillow level. Given the chance I will crouch behind concealment, because a high shot miss will only make my roof leak.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Since there seems to be a lack of test and an agreed upon consensus that this bullet will penetrate deep enough and not break up 2 inches in I will spend the money and test it myself in the coming weeks a post my results. any ideas on how to test it are welcome. I was thinking a few phone books would do the trick.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Magsafe is not a good choice for self defense ammo.

It is a product marketed to the uninformed.

Stick with a good LE type of hollow point. Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot come to mind (as well as Winchester Ranger SXT)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I always suggest a light for caliber, agressive expander for appartment or indoor usage: Magsafe and Glaser do not cut it in my mind. I have seen reports of them underpenetrating and the shooter being killed by a perp because they don't get in deep enough to hit vitals. Save the crazy exotic ammo for the Fudds.

Corbon makes a great .40 round for indoor usage: Their 135gr, VERY fast round. They use the Sierra Powerjacket bullet, which is a very aggressive expander (expands at very low velo, I got a 115gr one for 9mm to expand after denim in wet sand at only 700 fps). They penetrate deep enough to hit vitals, but not deep enough to go out the back. I have yet to see a test where a Sierra/Corbon combination plugs due to leather or denim. If anything, driven too fast (as Corbon does), they fragment, but not like the Magsafe stuff (read: too shallow penetration due to lack of individual bullet mass due to "prefragmentation").

Top Bottom