• ...and so much more!
  • phearly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Indianapolis,IN
    Hi,

Just had a question regarding the "mental" part of the carry permit application. I was treated about 10 years ago for depression. I wasn't hospitalized or anything like that...just office visits. Would this require me to answer yes to the "mental treatment" part of the application? and, if so, would it mean an automatic denial of the of the app.? Thanks

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I would say answer no. There is nothing wrong with talking to someone once in a while and everyone gets depressed from time to time, life SUCKS sometimes. If you were prescribed meds, that might be another question depending on what meds you were prescribed.

My 2 cents.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    A strict interpretation of the questions mean that a "yes" answer to that question would be required in your situtation. There's no time limit imposed on the question. If you answer "yes" then the application has a spot where you put the date of last treatment, AND, no matter how matter long ago, you have to provide a statement from the person who treated you (I think) that you're fit to carry, if you can remember who that person was from 10 years ago. You have to decide yourself how to answer that question. Sorry, wish I could give you an answer, but I'm just telling it how I see it. I'd like to be able to write in "This is a "shall issue state" so what's the need to know?" but that won't fly.

We're still living in the dark ages when it comes to mental health. If you ever seek psychiatric help, you're marked for life. If a person never seeks psychiatric help, they're ok, except for the little fact that they needed help, but aren't getting it.

I answered "Yes" on mine, saw my doc, got the letter, got the license, end of story. I can turn to the whole world and say that that it's been determined that I'm psychologically fit to carry a handgun.

Good luck.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I would say "yes" you don't want to be treading waters you don't have to. The 2 previous posts give good opinions just backing them up here. I wouldn't try to work around it in today's political era. Oh, and by the way welcome to INGO!! :)

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    The question refers to court ordered mental treatment. Or institutionalized treatment. If you see a doctor and get some evil Prozac thats a private matter between you and your doctor. I still submitted a letter from my doctor just because im like that. The answere is no.
    This is what i was told several years ago by both an FFL and I also called the state police.
    Ask your local gun dealer! & call the state police!

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    The question refers to court ordered mental treatment. Or institutionalized treatment. . .

I believe the OP was asking a question about the Indiana application for a license to carry handgun, not the FFL form that you fill out when buying a firearm. Your statement is correct about the question on the FFL.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I would answer "No."

As long as one was not voluntarily, or involuntarily, placed in a hospital, I consider it as a matter between physician and patient, not a matter for the State.

I don't consider a bout of depression "mental illness." Nor do I think it makes you a walking time bomb.

I would bet that several members here take meds for depression or anxiety.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Transcribed from the Application

This is the text: "Have you ever been treated for psychiatric health care of an emotional or mental illness?"

Here's the link for the .pdf: http://podcast.gunrights.us/pdf/Indiana_Handgun_License_Application.pdf

I don't know of anyone who's been treated for "psychiatric health care." Didn't even know it was an illness. Didn't know that there was such a thing as an "emotional illness" either. The question is terribly worded to begin with.

My final advice: Answer in accordance with your good conscience. If you're too crazy to be trusted with a gun, it won't matter how you answer. I just don't want to see a good citizen getting in trouble some day for falsifying an answer on the application. In your case, OP, it seems that it would be next to impossible, going back 10 years.

If I were in your shoes, I'd first see if it were possible at all to get the recommendation. Do you even remember where you were treated, and who did? If the recommendation is easy to get, answer yes. If it's a big hassle, you might want to answer no, if it comports with your conscience.

Good luck, and welcome to the board. Let us know when you get the license, and what you're planning to carry. I'm a noob to carrying and guns in general. There's a lot of good info on the web.

phearly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Indianapolis,IN
    Thanks for everyone's help. It would be really hard(probably impossible) to get the info for the doctor that I saw. I have no recollection of even what his name was....I've moved to a couple different states since then and have had a couple different jobs(which means a couple different health insurance companies too). I would like to answer "no" to this question but, for some strange reason, even the possiblility of spending 5 years in prison, getting raped on a regular basis doesn't sound too attractive to me so I may just have to ask the police about it when I go to fill the app. out. Thanks again for the info and the welcome to the forum.:)
    One more question if I could....what I am really wanting to get into gun ownership for is for home protection & target shooting at a range. Do I really need the carry permit to transport the weapon to & from a gun range?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom