Carry at the Air Force National Museum in Dayton, OH.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    f 111 wasn't the only one to do that

I despise the F-111 with the furry of a thousand rabid frothing weasels. That rage came after working on J-79 engines on F-4s and TF-34s on A-10s.

The TF-30 on the F-111 was engineered by autistic Germans with a passion for complexity. They were unreliable, prone to compressor stalls and maintenace intensive.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I despise the F-111 with the furry of a thousand rabid frothing weasels. That rage came after working of J-79 engines on F-4s and TF-34s on A-10s.

The TF-30 on the F-111 was engineered by autistic Germans with a passion for complexity. They were unreliable, prone to compressor stalls and maintenace intensive.

I've heard "hate" on the rest of the 111 also.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    IMG_6246%20copy-XL.jpg

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I "know a guy" who has actually flown some of the airframes in their collection.

Like 2/3rds of the F-111 aircraft they have he's logged hours in. Maybe even all 3 - not sure. I think that's pretty cool.
    I worked with the D models at Cannon AFB....the planes with the boobs on them...it's a thing... WSO side....
    1714371601120.png

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I worked with the D models at Cannon AFB....the planes with the boobs on them...it's a thing... WSO side....
    View attachment 349631
    Cannon and Holleman were 2 choices to go to when they closed Blytheville/Eaker in 1991. I don’t think anyone chose them.

I ended up taking Malmstrom Montana but had I not had kids I might have pondered Cannon or Holloman as I sort of liked F11’s but I wasn’t maintenance

Johnk

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    I went to the museum 3 weeks ago. Original plan was to spend two days but I extended it another day. Fantastic museum. How they got all those big bombers in there i'll never know.
    If you go plan on at least two days and if you like to read about the plane's history add another day. I would go back tomorrow if hotels weren't so darned expensive.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have nothing to offer other than in the presidential area, "Air force 1" was cramped! Still worth walking sideways to see it!

The B36? Was my favorite aside from the rockets.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Years ago a friend of mine was stationed at W-P, we camped, and hiked at a nearby park, and decided to go to the museum, but we got there just before closing, we ran into the exit door, and I saw "Bocks Car" and had to touch it, saw a few POW related items, then we were kicked out... I have been meaning to go back for 30 years........

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    The B36? Was my favorite aside from the rockets

When I was in the Air Force ('71 - '76), I was certified to work on the nuclear warhead that sat atop Minuteman II.
    The missile room at the museum was fun for me to visit the last time.

IMG_6281%20copy-X3.jpg

It's a lot, lot more than just a bunch of old planes. If you think that you have an interest in U.S. military aviation history .... this is the place for you !

Top Bottom