• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Borock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm considering a smaller back up to use with an ankle holster. I've looked at the Ruger LCP (on paper) but nothing else. Any suggestions and why (performance, accuracy, size, etc.)? Thanks!

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    You'll find that most people recommend one of two things. Either a pocket .380, (DB380, TCP, LCP, P3-AT, or similar,) and the other large portion will be pocket .38's/.357's.

Between the two...you've got more power in the revolvers, but they're generally a bit bigger. Harder to pocket carry. If you wear tighter clothes, I'd say one of the pocket 380's. If you tend to wear loose jeans, a pocket .357 is a great thing to have.

As for brands, I can't say much. I have a Taurus TCP .380, and it works great. I also have a Taurus 605 .357, and it works just fine as well. Both will ride in my pocket often, depending on what pants I am wearing. TCP is more of a dressy gun, because its smaller, the 605 is more for loose-pants casual wear.

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Since the weather turned around I've been ankle carrying a Diamondback DB9 while on the motorcycle. It's 11oz unloaded and about 14.5oz loaded. Forget it's on my ankle some times.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If you want to think outside the box, for a bit over $200 you can find a Polish Army P64 in 9x18 Makarov. A little hotter than a .380. It is all steel and the very best BUG I have ever had. Really, really accurate, reliable and if you buy bulk the ammo is cheaper than 9mm.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have both a Smith 442 (J frame airweight) and an LCP. As far as what one I prefer to carry, I tend to go with the J-frame. If I were to carry in an ankle rig (something I have yet to try) I would think the LCP, or comparable pocket .380 to be a better option, as it is a bit flatter.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you want to think outside the box, for a bit over $200 you can find a Polish Army P64 in 9x18 Makarov. A little hotter than a .380. It is all steel and the very best BUG I have ever had. Really, really accurate, reliable and if you buy bulk the ammo is cheaper than 9mm.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^ Besides needing to do something about the double-action trigger pull, I love mine. And good point about the ammo. I just got some range ammo (FMJ) for 8.99/50 when I bought 500 rounds.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    I've got a Russian made Makarov from the 1990s that is deadly accurate, and works without a hitch. I would love to find a match .380 in excellent condition at a fair price.

The 9X18 ammo is readily available at fair prices on the internet, and these guns are designed to last. I will never sell mine.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Right now my backup is a KelTec PF9, 9mm. It's very thin and light, but the barrel is a little longer than an LCP. It is the same gun George Zimmerman used apparently.

Top Bottom