• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Noblesville
    Hey guys/gals. I recently picked up an IWB holster (MTAC) for my SR9c and was wondering what experiences you all had with carry belts. I'm looking at the 5.11 basketweave, and also the blackhawk crq leather. Also, any suggestions for mag pouches would be sweet too. Thanks in advance!

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    They are a little pricey at ~$75, but the Ares Ranger belt is phenomenal. Stiff, but doesn't feel like wood around your waist, and I barely notice its there, while ccw or just as a daily wear belt.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I saw a few of those web style belts. Are they pretty sturdy? I always assumed they would be flimsy.

I've got the Wilderness Tactical Instructor's Belt with the plastic insert and that thing is rock solid. Doesn't bend at all and carries the weight of the gun perfectly. I would also look into the Jones Tactical EDC Belts as well.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks for all the good info! I didn't realize the wilderness had an insert. Might have to get a web and a leather for different occasions. Can't have too many, right??

Nope. Two belts makes sense. You will find that a good belt really helps support the weight of a gun. My gun belts are so comfortable I wear one even when I am not carrying a gun.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Thanks for all the good info! I didn't realize the wilderness had an insert. Might have to get a web and a leather for different occasions. Can't have too many, right??

Exactly. I use a leather belt occasionally when my Coyote Tactical Belt doesn't work out with my suit. :D

I have three of four different belts that I use. I prefer my belts as stiff as I can get them but YMMV.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    I really, really like my Old Faithful leather belt. Plus, like their holsters, you can purchase a "kit" to save a lot of money and customize your belt. I will have a full review of their holster and belt coming soon. Here is the link to their website:
    Gun Belt Kits | Old Faithful Holsters

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Exactly. I use a leather belt occasionally when my Coyote Tactical Belt doesn't work out with my suit. :D

I have three of four different belts that I use. I prefer my belts as stiff as I can get them but YMMV.

I like how leather molds to your body. But if I order another Belt Man I might try the stiffener option next time.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I use my Wilderness instructor belt on the range or an SOE riggers belt. But for EDC in business casual, I use two different leather belts (brown w/brass and black w/ nickel buckle). They are 1.25 inch wide, perfect for contemporary dress. But they are THICK. They were made by an amish harness maker in Grabill Indiana. Bombproof. Old school, solid man belt.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    5.11 carry belts are supposedly decent stuff, too.

I may pick one of them up to use for IWB carry.

I recently rec'd my Beltman belt. But it's too small to allow for IWB carry.

And, depending on holster, it's too small for OWB, too. *Sigh*

-J-

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles

You're on the right track regarding having both web and leather. The Wilderness Tactical allow you to perfectly adjust the tension since they are infinitely adjustable. A leather belt is good for when you have a tucked shirt, but you give up the infinite adjustability.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    They are a little pricey at ~$75, but the Ares Ranger belt is phenomenal. Stiff, but doesn't feel like wood around your waist, and I barely notice its there, while ccw or just as a daily wear belt.

+1 to this. Ares Gear Ranger Belts are simply one of the best pieces of gear I own. Wear it every day, through daily carry, church, IDPA matches...doesn't matter, it is a freak of nature.

Top Bottom