• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yosemitesam

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2014
    indianapolis, IN (W
    Yeah....I'm pretty much done with it. Just wanted to make a point that dressing like SWAT, street thug, or what ever while open carry may not always be the best of decisions in public areas where people may run from you. That's pretty much it. I'm done. As always stay alert stay armed stay alive maybe I'll try again later down the road...

yosemitesam

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2014
    indianapolis, IN (W
    Having your hand on the gun as you walk around is a big pet peeve of mine that makes us all look like turds, I've seen people pop mags in and out of the well like they were trying to make a rhythm with it. I've seen people activate lasers and walk around with a red dot by their foot like they were trying to attract cats.... That kind of stuff

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    I can see several sides of this issue. On one hand, if OC people dress, look, and act professional, it does make us seem less like crazy gun nuts to the bulk of the population.

On another hand, our rights are not predicated on our appearance or individual mannerisms, so we should each do as we see fit, and leave the other guy alone.

On another hand, oh darn, I'm out of hands...

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    And it's obvious some people don't care and that's fine. I'm just not one to think "today I'm going to wear my Uzi, jungle boots, ski mask, and Ted for president hat because 'Merica that's why" if that's you good...you do what you do. I just feel like if you can't even consider another view point we as a whole may be in trouble
    Perhaps consider your own advice.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    As armed citizens we are not a unit but does that mean we should have a complete disregard for everything that is open carry just because it's legal? Just because open carry is legal we should not speak our mind when we feel that someone in the open carry community is maybe doing something that makes us all look like turds? I feel that making a suggestion for consideration is a far cry from asking or demanding that he cover up. But again just my opinion

If the person wasn't open carrying and his attire was making people nervous, would you have still approached him to let him know that his appearance was scaring people? If not, then why would you approach him if he was open carrying? I understand your reasoning that you would like us all to look like upstanding citizens, but can't you see that you are allowing the reaction of others to dictate our actions and our appearance. This is the trap that many of us avoid. We are all individuals. You can't judge a book by its cover as well as you can't judge people by the way they look and we shouldn't try to change them to conform to our opinion of what people should look like.

Just my :twocents:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If the person wasn't open carrying and his attire was making people nervous, would you have still approached him to let him know that his appearance was scaring people? If not, then why would you approach him if he was open carrying? I understand your reasoning that you would like us all to look like upstanding citizens, but can't you see that you are allowing the reaction of others to dictate our actions and our appearance. This is the trap that many of us avoid. We are all individuals. You can't judge a book by its cover as well as you can't judge people by the way they look and we shouldn't try to change them to conform to our opinion of what people should look like.

:+1:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm not seeking for people to agree or disagree with me here. We all can think for ourselves. I was just making an observation that sometimes just looking like this is enough to make people uneasy. Disagree....fine.... Agree fine I just feel like WE should not fight the way the left does. If we disagree usually it's just "here's why I disagree..." I've seriously never seen pro gun people argue this way
    Usually it's just "here's why I disagree" OR. "you've got no balls!":rolleyes:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood

:+1:

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    this post is a fashion statement....only fratty whiteys in sperrys can carry guns, or youre a poor rep for the 2A

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I do see a difference. I only suggested that of he didn't want people to run he should consider it. I never and would never say you should or you must do it this way
    Did he say he didn't want people to run?
    Also, I'm with the previous poster who said he didn't believe people were actually "running out of the store"! Good story, but a little far fetched!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yeah....I'm pretty much done with it. Just wanted to make a point that dressing like SWAT, street thug, or what ever while open carry may not always be the best of decisions in public areas where people may run from you. That's pretty much it. I'm done. As always stay alert stay armed stay alive maybe I'll try again later down the road...
    We've had many people say the exact same things you are saying, except about open carry instead of the way one dresses. NO DIFFERENCE!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Having your hand on the gun as you walk around is a big pet peeve of mine that makes us all look like turds, I've seen people pop mags in and out of the well like they were trying to make a rhythm with it. I've seen people activate lasers and walk around with a red dot by their foot like they were trying to attract cats.... That kind of stuff
    I haven't seen anything like that. And if I did, I certainly wouldn't think it made US ALL look bad!

When you say "people", can you tell us how many people you've seen do these crazy things? And did you step up and tell them what you thought they were doing was wrong?

Last edited:

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    0020.gif
    smiley-level1_don019.gif

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Ive read only the first 40 posts. With that disclaimer...

OP: you have the right to your opinion of how he dresses. You even have the right to express that opinion, whether to him or to us or to anyone else, so long as you neither defame his character nor slander/libel him.

You do not have the right to do so with impunity.

I'd likely have thanked you for your unsolicited opinion and told you to perform an aerial copulation with the central orifice of an annular pastry, had you approached me with that "suggestion". You're lucky he was a law-abiding citizen... Many others would likely have laid you out for your decision to share your opinion.

As I said, you have the right to express your opinion. You also accept the consequences of doing so. Just because you can does not mean you should.

Ever seen the pic of the car with the "Cops suck!" bumper sticker, and the driver receiving a citation from Officer Probably-Not-Very-Friendly? Yeah, it's like that.

Blessings,
    Bill

I'd like to start out with I openly carry virtually every day and hugely support others right to do so. How ever I do at times feel that maybe at least considering concealment is good for public relations. I'll start with the story that brings this to mind. I am the single parent of a now 2.5 year old. I shop at once upon a child for second hand clothing for my son. Now that winter is near over a lot of people are bringing in old winter clothing for summer stuff and I'm prepping for next year. This 20 something guy who looked and spoke as if he was from some Slavic nation was in black tactical pants, old jungle boots, black shirt, and had the Springfield XDM holster and mag pouch openly displayed as he strolled through the shop with the mother of his child. It was very obvious that he was making people nervous...hell even I took a hard look at him. I walked over and said I think he should consider maybe dressing nicer or covering up in some shops. He accused me of being anti-gun and walked away. Usually when I'm out and openly carring I have dress pants and shirt, nice hair cut, trimmed beard, people think either I'm a cop or at least not a thug or terrorist in training. My point I guess is it's about appearance. Much like if you see a person dressed like a street thug you assume he maybe dangerous and avoid him....right? Same thing with us as we are in public. If we are to open carry we may want to be mindful of how we look. Just one mans opinion. I'm by no means saying you can't open carry if you look like a hobo, red neck, street thug, or terrorist. Just simply saying if you do look like those things you may generate a bad image for all of us.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I miss anything? Has anybody been banned or displayed butthurt? I do ot want to rea 16 pages. Pretty sure I know how this went down. Off to breakfast with the parents. CC of course

Top Bottom