• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huzyerdaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Hamilton County
    In light of the new law about carry at work, would it be legal to carry to work with the handgun locked inside of a company owned vehicle assigned to you for your personal use and nobody else? Thanks...

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    It has always been legal. Its up to your employer. They can fire you for any (or no) reason. If they have a problem with it, I wouldnt recommend it. Its still their car, their rules.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Being someone who has a company take-home vehicle. They (my employer) considers the company vehicle no different than company property and is subject to our corporate policies just the same. Though I do carry in mine daily even if it is against the rules. YMMV

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    It has always been legal. Its up to your employer. They can fire you for any (or no) reason. If they have a problem with it, I wouldnt recommend it. Its still their car, their rules.

+1

Gotta ask yourself one question ...... Do ya feel lucky?

It isn't worth getting fired over breaking their rules.

kturner100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    SE Indiana
    I'm in same circumstances - I have a company car. It is a "benefit vehicle" that I drive to and from work, occasional business trips, etc. I do often keep a handgun in the vehicle. Our company does not have a policy on this - only with regards to in the facility. The concerns I face are the occasional trip to a neighboring state which does not honor our permit. I leave it at home on those days or with one particular trusted friend if unplanned. I don't worry about risk to my employment as the way I see it I am not violating policy.

But...

Does your company have a policy on company-owned vehicles and do you share the vehicle with others?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    We have a sign on the front door to my office about how firearms are now allowed. Unlike Ohio, in Indiana, that doesn't matter. Just balance the risk of getting fired, vs the risk of needing it.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    This is a question between employer and employee. While you can take advise from those here that are not putting their job at risk, you need to know your company policy and weigh out your options and make that decision on your own.
    The new Indiana law only covers your personal vehicle that is owned by you.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    This is a question between employer and employee. While you can take advise from those here that are not putting their job at risk, you need to know your company policy and weigh out your options and make that decision on your own.
    The new Indiana law only covers your personal vehicle that is owned by you.

^^This is exactly the point. This is an issue for you to personally deal with (with or without your employers knowledge). If you know company policy and that carrying is against it, you must also know the consequences for your possible actions. I know my given situation and what I have decided is worth/not worth the risk will be different than it is for you. You are the one who has to live with the possible repurcussions of your actions. I know my job is at risk by my actions, but I also feel that my life may be at risk due to some of the locations that I'm forced to work in (ie, 25th and Keystone). Just like EProbertson1 mentioned, this is a matter of whats right for YOU. Good luck with your decision.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    ^^This is an issue for you to personally deal with (with or without your employers knowledge). If you know company policy and that carrying is against it, you must also know the consequences for your possible actions. I know my given situation and what I have decided is worth/not worth the risk will be different than it is for you. You are the one who has to live with the possible repurcussions of your actions.
    +1:yesway:

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    So, not to read to much into this statement, but....you're effectively saying that your job is more important than your life?????

Nope, just saying that my company made the policy pretty clear. I choose to abide by their rules. I carry what I legally can to protect myself at work. I would never suggest to someone to intentionally break a law or company policy. To each his own, if you choose to break the rule, be ready to take the punishment if caught. We all have the freedom to choose, at least for now.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Legally, the new law changes nothing regarding driving around in company cars.

Also note, it is not illegal to break company rules.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Nope, just saying that my company made the policy pretty clear. I choose to abide by their rules. I carry what I legally can to protect myself at work. I would never suggest to someone to intentionally break a law or company policy. To each his own, if you choose to break the rule, be ready to take the punishment if caught. We all have the freedom to choose, at least for now.

I don't feel that I'm any exception to the rules, I will deal with any punishment should the situation arise. I do have unwritten permission from the owner of our company (due to the areas in which I am lucky enough to often work) that while he cannot give me permission, he will gladly turn the other way. Now if HR found out, that would be a different story. You said it best, "we all have the freedom to choose" and you're exactly right. I'm not suggesting/recommending anyone do anything. I simply stated what I personally do. With the fact that I'm often alone while working in various shady areas of the city, my opinion is that I do what I have to in order to make sure I come home to my family each night.

JordanN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Carry it on your person. They can search their vehicle anytime they please.

You also never know if one day, out of the blue, they will decide to let someone else take it for a spin.

Top Bottom