• ...and so much more!
  • unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    Hello all

The wife and I are planning on taking a trip to the John Dillinger museum in Crown Point. It's been recently moved to the Old Courthouse Building. For carry purposes, is that building of limits?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :popcorn:
    Do you have the address of the bldg?
    It comes down to who owns the property.
    If private you can carry but if they ask you to leave you have to go otherwise its treaspassing.

If public, provided there is no gunfreezone you are good to go.check the lake county gis page to find out who owns the property parcel and that gives you a start.
    If the museum the only thing in that bldg?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    1 Courthouse Square
    Crown Point, IN 46307

Heres the address Jedi

Thanks per the GIS website:
    https://lakein.mygisonline.com/

That property is one big parcel and is owned by
    Lake Court House Foundation Inc.
    PO Box 556
    Crown Point, IN 46307
    The parcel is listed as commercial.

So based on this it is treated like any other commercial place (wal-mart, kmart, target, cabelas, etc.)
    It's private property so if you get asked to leave you have to leave.

Now the last piece of the puzzle is does Lake Court House Foundation Inc. run a LICENSED day care or school off this parcel.
    Based on the website of the property
    Lake County Historical Museum

The museum is on the 2nd floor. The 3rd floor has a ballroom you can rent for events.
    I did not find anything about day care or school on the property so that rules out the gun free zone.
    You are legal to carry but they can ask you to leave.

BTW I'm not an atty just play one on the internet. :rofl:
    This was not legal advise either.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    That building has the clerks office and active city court. I would think carry is a no-no on the 2nd floor but that's kinda fuzzy area. ?

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    That building has the clerks office and active city court. I would think carry is a no-no on the 2nd floor but that's kinda fuzzy area. ?

:faint: here we go again.
    Indiana law made by the legislature have NO authority on what occurs inside Indiana courts. That means the legislatures can not make a court house or room a gun free zone. The "power" to make it a gun free place belongs to the courts themselves. The Indiana Supreme Court decides what can and can NOT occur within its walls. The ISC has a standing order that says each court below it makes it's own rules (ie. the court rules). Should you happen to break those rules you are not breaking the law but the court rules which means you are in contempt of court and the judge can toss you in jail, fine you, or make you do something else.

Each court in Indiana makes it's own rules. The majority do have a no wepaons allowed rule. However there are a few that do allow weapons inside up to and including the judge's chamber! But let me get back on subject. Even if there is a city court house on the 1st floor that does not mean the entire property is a gun free zone.

1) We already established that the building belongs to a private company so the City court house is just whatever those rooms are
    2) We already established that you are not breaking a law but possibility the local court rules if you go into the court space with a weapon.
    Best example here is the Lake County .gov complex. You can walk right up to the door of the building with a weapon but the sign at the door says no weapons in the court. So you can't go passed the metal screen with a weapon. It's legal to walk around the building, parking lot since there is no law but a local court rule.

Same concept applies here but in a much more narrow focus as the city court is only on the 1st floor and in certain parts I would imagine. If they don't have a screening (ie. metal detectors) way of blocking off the city court then it's just the room where the "court take place" that is the "court house" and has those special court rules.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    As an aside if the local court rule is you must come wearing PINK before the court and you do not wear PINK guess what? You are in contempt of court and the judge has the ability to toss you in jail, fine you, make you wear PINK before you appear in front of the court. Think of "My Cousin Vinie" movie where a suit was required all ATTYs when in the courthouse and the guy had to rent a 1950s disco tux to not be in contempt of court.

Also the prior post I learned from the INDIANA COMPRENSHIVE FIREARM COURSE that Guy R. (IN ATTY and member in INGO) gives once or twice a year. It is a very good course and one I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND anyone that carries in Indiana,

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    It is very obvious to me that we need more gun laws on thr books to stop CRIMINALS from carrying weapons in gun free zones.

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    Just got back. The museum is on the ground floor. It had it's own entrance and no signage about weapons. From what I could see there was no way to get to the other floors from the museum. As for the museum itself, it was very interesting seeing what Dillinger used to escape. That wooden gun looked nothing like a real one, it was basically the size of an iPhone with a finger hole and a small protrusion from the front for the barrel. He must have been a smooth talker to bluff his way out with that. We walked through in about 30 minutes, but if you stopped to read absolutely everything, I would say it's a 2 hour trip. Pretty nice bit of history there. I OC'ed, and the ticket girl didn't bat an eye.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I try to avoid it...
    I didn't actually read it, but it looked like there was a literate, legible post in this thread from Jedi... who'd a thunk it...

Well you know when one of my thugs is going SOUTH of US-30 I do try and ensure they stay safe in that area of Lake County that does not like us. ;)

BTW when did they move the Dillanger museum? Was it not at the Indiana Visitor's Center in Hammond by the Highway?
    I was their this past xmass for the "Christmas Story Movie" exhibit but the Dillanger museum was "temp closed" for the holidays.
    Or does crown point have another one as well?

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    BTW when did they move the Dillanger museum? Was it not at the Indiana Visitor's Center in Hammond by the Highway?
    I was their this past xmass for the "Christmas Story Movie" exhibit but the Dillanger museum was "temp closed" for the holidays.
    Or does crown point have another one as well?

It was moved from the visitor center and opened about 6 weeks ago.
    By the way Jedi, how did you use the GIS website to obtain the info you wanted to find out for the OP?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It was moved from the visitor center and opened about 6 weeks ago.
    By the way Jedi, how did you use the GIS website to obtain the info you wanted to find out for the OP?

I used THE FORCE and you SOUTH of US-30 rednecks know nothing about using such complex systems. ;)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    OK OK let me give you a more detail explanation.
    Go to that website and click on the Surveyor GIS Website.
    You will get a map of NWI. Sometimes the address bar works and sometimes it does not.
    So I usually look for the major roads (I-65, 80/94) and start zooming in from there to locate the section of map I want to see. Continue zooming in until you find what you want. It's all broken down by parcels. Once you find the right address (use the legend button to hide/show addresses, parcel boundries, etc..) click on the parcel you want and a pop-up window appears with who owns it.

If you own a house yours name will appear. Try it out. :)

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Fun fact: when I was a kid and the "museum" was still in the actual old jail south of the square, my great grandmother was the one who ran the tours. I used to run around that place like a raging loon playing cops and robbers.

Top Bottom