• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I'm headed to St. Louis this weekend and was wondering if I should leave the gun at home. I have my Indiana LTCH but i was under the impression it's basically no good in IL.

I"m doing a search of the forum too, but i thought i'd ask ya'll first.

dwagner3701

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    South of Lafayette
    IL. is working on LTCH for residents....a judge ruled on it this summer. I don't know how it will affect reciprocal agreements. Personally, I travel to Chicago and other places in IL. on a regular basis and have a handgun in my truck at all times. Not smart, I know!! But better safe than dead.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You may NOT carry a handgun on you or in your vehicle* in the People's Republic of Illinois.

*You CAN take advantage of "peaceable journey" laws and take them with you through the state provided that they're unloaded, stored separate from the ammo, and locked in a compartment not easily accessable to the passengers...like the trunk. In IL, I'd be sure that magazines were unloaded too. Wouldn't surprise me to if they didn't consider a loaded magazine = loaded firearm.

I also believe (but am NOT sure) that peaceable journey laws also allow you to bring said firearm into a hotel with you as it is your "home" whilst traveling. Again, it wouldn't surprise me if IL frowned upon this, though...especially in certain locations where handgun ownership is verboten to begin with.

-J-

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I'm headed to St. Louis this weekend and was wondering if I should leave the gun at home. I have my Indiana LTCH but i was under the impression it's basically no good in IL.

I"m doing a search of the forum too, but i thought i'd ask ya'll first.
    Absolutely illegal. But here is the federal Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 that allows you to travel from one place where you can legally possess and carry the firearm to another place where you can legally possess and carry the firearm, provided you comply with the other provisions of the statute.

"18 U.S.C. § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    IL. is working on LTCH for residents....a judge ruled on it this summer. I don't know how it will affect reciprocal agreements. Personally, I travel to Chicago and other places in IL. on a regular basis and have a handgun in my truck at all times. Not smart, I know!! But better safe than dead.

Cite, please? If this is true, it's good news and personally, I'd love to see it happen!

Blessings,
    Bill

dwagner3701

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    South of Lafayette
    IL handgun permits

I heard this on WLS (890 am) while traveling to work up north. Some gun owner sued and won. The judge declared it unconstitutional. They said hat permits were going to be issued state wide - including Cook County!!!!

Top Bottom