• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knew the rules about carrying within the various museums around the city (i.e. Indianapolis State Museum, Children s Museum, Art Museum, etc)

Thanks!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    There are no metal detectors at the Children's Museum or Indiana State Museum. There may be "no weapons" signage; I haven't checked. I cannot confirm or deny having carried there.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Many years ago I took my kid to the Beatles light show at the Children's museum and had to put my weapon in the truck as they were wanding people.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    There are no metal detectors at the Children's Museum or Indiana State Museum. There may be "no weapons" signage; I haven't checked. I cannot confirm or deny having carried there.

I take my daughter to the Children's Museum regularly. I have never seen any "no weapons" signage. And I'm not being coy--I've looked and not seen any.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I used to work security @ the IMA. They don't allow anyone to carry unless they are a state or federal officer, not even local cops (unless they're on duty). That was their rule, but I carried everyday, and still carry when I go there.
    As far as the other museums in the area, they probably have the same or similar rules. I follow those rules the same as I do the IMA's.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    We're regulars at the Children's museum. I've never seen any signage, nor have I ever dealt with a security check. We've carried backpacks, strollers, lunch totes, the works. Nothing more than our membership card.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    I used to work security @ the IMA. They don't allow anyone to carry unless they are a state or federal officer, not even local cops (unless they're on duty). That was their rule, but I carried everyday, and still carry when I go there.
    As far as the other museums in the area, they probably have the same or similar rules. I follow those rules the same as I do the IMA's.

Thanks for the info. I'll know I'm violating one of their rules the next time.:D

dlkcolt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Carmel
    Ask

May as well ask before entering those facilities. Better than the hassle if they have rules against and discovered at an inappropriate time.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    May as well ask before entering those facilities. Better than the hassle if they have rules against and discovered at an inappropriate time.

If you're going concealed, and concealed means concealed, then the chances of you being discovered should be slim.

And if you ARE discovered, the worst they can do is ask you to leave or remove the weapon from the grounds. Only if you refuse can you be arrested.

Asking ahead of time will just make them suspicious of you. And what if they say "our policy is no guns allowed"? Big deal, their signs/policy hold no legal weight in Indiana.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

The only "hassle" that they can legitimately direct at you is asking you to leave. If you refuse, you could then be charged with trespass.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Probably against the rules, but no law against it, unless you are part of a school field trip.

As I read the law, the museum becomes a "school" when a school is there.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    This is the very reason (of many) why the law needs changed!

As I read the law, the museum becomes a "school" when a school is there.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

Top Bottom