• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DirtyV

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I had to go downtown today and I was unsure if carrying firearms was permitted on Indygo buses. I spoke to their customer service and the woman basically said no, however I was not convinced because I have seen Rider Guidelines signs posted on buses that conflicted. After tracking around the Indygo website I found their list of prohibited items, and firearms were conspicuously absent from it:

IndyGo | Pages | Indianapolis Public Transportation Corporation

Not wanting to make assumptions I jumped in the internet time machine and found this:

IndyGo | Pages | Indianapolis Public Transportation Corporation

Clearly this was deliberate change but they sure did a great job not advertising it. The only story I could find related to why the policy changed is this:

Citilink to let riders carry guns on its buses | The Journal Gazette | Fort Wayne, IN

Anyhow, I wanted to post this in case anyone else was asking the same question. I apologize if this is old news, I'm only posting it here because I couldn't find it readily available anywhere else.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    My brother works for IndyGo and showed me a memo that he got stating the new law makes it legal to carry on a bus. However if it is seen by the driver, he WILL call the police and they will come and check you out before you will be allowed to continue on the bus. I will see if I can get another copy of this. I tried the link in the OP but it didn't work so if this is the same info I apologize.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    What number did you call? I would like to call also just to have a couple of calls logged in their system to show people do carry on their buses.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It's not illegal to carry on a bus, therefore it's legal.
    If it's against their policy then they could ask you to leave the bus but they couldn't see if you CC of course.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    If I am correct the city owns the buses and yes they made it illegal to carry onboard. With the new law on July 1 they don't have the authority to do that. They have to be state compliant basically. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    If I am correct the city owns the buses and yes they made it illegal to carry onboard. With the new law on July 1 they don't have the authority to do that. They have to be state compliant basically. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I haven't checked city codes but I don't think it was illegal. 3 or 4 years ago TSA did a "training exercise" doing "voluntary screenings" of people boardings INDYgo buses and were told by the police that they couldn't stop licensed carriers from boarding.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I talked to my brother a little more on this last night and he said the memo that came out stating that they had to allow guns on the bus, but would call the police to investigate, was a direct result of the new law basically making it unlawful for them to deny a person carrying a weapon since they are public property. It is confusing to me. I wonder how many times the police will be called out to investigate a legal person before the police dept demands some kind of "problem" be evident before wasting time and money.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I talked to my brother a little more on this last night and he said the memo that came out stating that they had to allow guns on the bus, but would call the police to investigate, was a direct result of the new law basically making it unlawful for them to deny a person carrying a weapon since they are public property. It is confusing to me. I wonder how many times the police will be called out to investigate a legal person before the police dept demands some kind of "problem" be evident before wasting time and money.

I think other riders would complain first. They may end up waiting 10-15 mins at the stop until the cops get there.

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    N IN
    I wonder how many times the police will be called out to investigate a legal person before the police dept demands some kind of "problem" be evident before wasting time and money.

I have been wondering that about MWAG calls for over 30 years.

Top Bottom