• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    Ok, so I've been unable to find the answer to this question.

I know at schools, one that is licensed is able to carry if they stay in their car in the driver's seat (operating a vehicle.)

Well, tonight the wife and I are going to my niece's basketball game. Is it legal to carry to the game and secure the weapon and holster in the car during the game?

I think the answer is no, but I'd like to be 100% sure.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    No. A school is always a school, even on a Sunday in the middle of summer. You can't leave a gun in your car in the parking lot.

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses
    IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    What really sucks *** is that I cant be a PASSENGER in my own vehicle while my wife drops one of the kids off at school. Since I am not the driver of the vehicle.

SHEESH, Indiana gun laws SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

INGunGuy

Last edited by a moderator:

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    What really sucks @$$ is that I cant be a PASSENGER in my own vehicle while my wife drops one of the kids off at school. Since I am not the driver of the vehicle.

SHEESH, Indiana gun laws SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

INGunGuy
    I would humbly ask you to rephrase that statement.

SHEESH, That specific Indiana gun law SUCKS!!!!!!......

Indiana has some of the best gun laws in the nation.

IMHO

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010

IMHO

I would ask you to rethink what you posted. It should read somthing like this.

Indiana has some of the least intrusive gun laws of all the states in the US.
    :D

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Well, I would counter by saying that even in California and Illinois a person can lock an unloaded handgun in their trunk and go to the range.

It's also something a child in Indiana can do. Responsbile adults? Sorry, you need a license.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    SHEESH, Indiana gun laws SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, regarding schools... this is true.

Especially since "School" is defined multiple ways throughout the IC. That means they all apply. You could park your car in a parking garage (nowhere near a school), leave your gun there and accidentally commit a felony because that LAND was owned by a school district and leased to the parking company. The IC also mentions land "adjacent to a school"... your guess is as good as mine on that one. Since there is no case law on this, who knows what would happen. To make it worse, the laws are strict liability, so you don't have to KNOW you were doing it.

Then there is also the issue of school functions... if you are at McDonalds and a school bus pulls up and unloads, are you now a felon? IC doesn't clearly say either way. I would hope the judge would choose to interpret that as "Attending" a school function, which you aren't. Not specified, no case law, who knows.

The only good thing is most cops aren't aware of any of this and would probably only arrest you if you were actually on ACTUAL school property (ya know... with a school on it).

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana

IMHO

Hmmm lets see, the last time I checked, the Second Amendment states:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Well, doesnt Indiana infringe upon my rights under the 2nd by REQUIRING me to pay $125.00 for the privilege of carrying a handgun? What about some poor person who just doesnt have the $125 to pay to the state to exercise their RIGHT to keep and bear arms. If a person carries a TOTALLY STRIPPED pistol frame that would be IMPOSSIBLE to fire without an HOUR's worth of work will get arrested for carrying a handgun without a permit.
    I am told that I am unable to carry into the local City County building, if I travel to Indy, I cant carry into Indy City Parks. If I am a PASSENGER in MY OWN CAR, I cant drop my son off at school, while my wife drives. If I am the driver of the car and taking my daughter to school, I become a FELON if I get out of the car to help her get her school project out of the trunk of the car. How about if I go to the local park, and the school has rented the soccer field, I am a felon for going to a park.

Lets look at Kentucky, I can carry a firearm wherever I want, open, in the car open, on my belt open, to the range, to the store, to a friends, etc. And I am NOT breaking any law. I dont have to "pay to play" to the state.

So, I am sorry, but Indiana has some crappy firearms laws.

INGunGuy

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Hmmm lets see, the last time I checked, the Second Amendment states:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Well, doesnt Indiana infringe upon my rights under the 2nd by REQUIRING me to pay $125.00 for the privilege of carrying a handgun? What about some poor person who just doesnt have the $125 to pay to the state to exercise their RIGHT to keep and bear arms. If a person carries a TOTALLY STRIPPED pistol frame that would be IMPOSSIBLE to fire without an HOUR's worth of work will get arrested for carrying a handgun without a permit.
    I am told that I am unable to carry into the local City County building, if I travel to Indy, I cant carry into Indy City Parks. If I am a PASSENGER in MY OWN CAR, I cant drop my son off at school, while my wife drives. If I am the driver of the car and taking my daughter to school, I become a FELON if I get out of the car to help her get her school project out of the trunk of the car. How about if I go to the local park, and the school has rented the soccer field, I am a felon for going to a park.

Lets look at Kentucky, I can carry a firearm wherever I want, open, in the car open, on my belt open, to the range, to the store, to a friends, etc. And I am NOT breaking any law. I dont have to "pay to play" to the state.

So, I am sorry, but Indiana has some crappy firearms laws.

INGunGuy

As opposed to:

• "may issue"
    • "must conceal (which includes the pistol not "printing" through your clothes)"
    • "can't carry in banks"
    • "can't carry in churches"
    • "can't carry at public gatherings"
    • "can't carry in places that derive over 50% of their income from alcohol sales"
    • "signs have force of law"
    • "must inform"
    • "no issue of LTCH until 21"
    • "safe storage"
    • or the ever popular, "No carry at all unless you are a police officer, politician, or really rich person who can buy off a public official".

Yeah... our laws are just terrible. :rolleyes:

Blessings,
    Bill

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Yep, Indiana's laws are like our government; the worst system in the world, except for every other system.
    (except Vermont, but who wants to live in the middle of all that east-coast garbage anyway?)

Yeah, OP, just park across the street.
    I agree that the no-guns-in-schools concept is asinine, but it's not going to change any time soon.
    Federal Law AND State Law would have to change for us to be able to carry on school grounds. So, no.

There's a better chance of abolishing the NFA than that happening. Seriously.

Top Bottom