• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Good, this is progress! At least you seem to agree now that it's not illegal (thus I shouldn't need to fight anything up through the courts looking for their interpretation or establishing case law on this matter).

I'd say that it depends greatly on what the individual citizen is prepared to do. One could be prepared to stand firm against abuses or overreach of authority while another is prepared to submit and even surrender their rights to that same authority at the first trifling threat of inconvenience.

Like my pal, T.J., I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it. ;)

Remember, though, I never suggested that one should not carry their Larry on them, I simply showed that it is no longer required.

Dude, I just noticed the 5yr old in the banner in your signature Lmao

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Good, this is progress! At least you seem to agree now that it's not illegal (thus I shouldn't need to fight anything up through the courts looking for their interpretation or establishing case law on this matter).

I'd say that it depends greatly on what the individual citizen is prepared to do. One could be prepared to stand firm against abuses or overreach of authority while another is prepared to submit and even surrender their rights to that same authority at the first trifling threat of inconvenience.

Like my pal, T.J., I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it. ;)

Remember, though, I never suggested that one should not carry their Larry on them, I simply showed that it is no longer required.

:yesway: Pretty much sums it up!

Be proactive in defending one's rights and take the time out of one's day to educate a squishy mind or be one bound to go with the flow and avoid supporting our freedoms as a matter of convenience. I opt for the former personally.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I agree not convicted, but you could be arrested. If you have that much free time to waste so you can prove you are a citizen and not a subject then go right ahead. It does not make you any less of a citizen to be prepared.

So you see righting a wrong as a waste of time???

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I would strongly recommend you carry it. You can carry without it legally now, however you do have the burden under the current law to prove you are licensed or exempt. Technically if an officer wants to be an a-hole he could decline to look it up and could arrest you since the responsibility is yours (not his). This means a trip to the local jail. However, you are also to be released once the LTCH is produced or proven.

So...

do you legally have to carry it? No.

could you be "rightfully" (under Indiana law) arrested for not having it on you? In my opinion yes.

Remember, there are many cops out there (not even near the majority though) who are 100% against the right for citizens to be armed. You run into one of them without your LTCH on you and I can guarantee you it will not be a pleasant encounter.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I would strongly recommend you carry it. You can carry without it legally now, however you do have the burden under the current law to prove you are licensed or exempt. Technically if an officer wants to be an a-hole he could decline to look it up and could arrest you since the responsibility is yours (not his). This means a trip to the local jail. However, you are also to be released once the LTCH is produced or proven.

So...

do you legally have to carry it? No.

could you be "rightfully" (under Indiana law) arrested for not having it on you? In my opinion yes.

Remember, there are many cops out there (not even near the majority though) who are 100% against the right for citizens to be armed. You run into one of them without your LTCH on you and I can guarantee you it will not be a pleasant encounter.

QFT

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm starting to wonder if I should be more paranoid (than I already am), and start keeping my LTCH with me at all times again. I have never, ever been asked for it. According to this thread, it is only a matter of time before I'm cuffed and stuffed.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    Your Driver's License is in the database, However, You can typically be assured to get a citation if pulled over and not having it with you.

Just carry the card, I'm sure we have a picture or a business card of some sort in our wallets that no longer has any value to us, So what is the problem with carrying a card to keep us on the up and up with LEOs????????

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Your Driver's License is in the database, However, You can typically be assured to get a citation if pulled over and not having it with you.

Just carry the card, I'm sure we have a picture or a business card of some sort in our wallets that no longer has any value to us, So what is the problem with carrying a card to keep us on the up and up with LEOs????????

There is a difference there. It is actually an offense to drive without your drivers license on you, hence the citation. It is not illegal to carry a handgun without your LTCH on you (of course providing you do in fact have one). Although, see my earlier post about your responsibility to prove you have one.

Although, I just thought of something. You could prove to the officer you have a LTCH by logging onto the new website they have to check the status of your LTCH with your smartphone or whatnot.

Dwhizzle74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Would that work? I'm waiting on my LTCH do arrive also but could it be as simple as showing them on the ISP website? I am in the database now even if the card hasn't arrived?

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Would that work? I'm waiting on my LTCH do arrive also but could it be as simple as showing them on the ISP website? I am in the database now even if the card hasn't arrived?

I will not advise you to carry before you get your permission slip in the mail. However, if it shows you as valid on the site then there is no reason for me to believe otherwise.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There was that one dude who claimed that he got (or was getting) written permission from every land and business owner wherever he went and only walked there.....so that's an option for non LTCH carry.

cooltools

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    On a traffic stop, at least in my area, ( Valparaiso ) when LEO radio's dispatch with vehicle info prior to actual stop they are informed that driver, if driver is driving vehicle that is in their name , has a valid LTCH. So they know before walking up to vehicle. I know if you have not received your LTCH in the mail yet how is this question even asked ? If it's not at home why ask about the legality of not having it on your person ?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If that is the position you want to take, that is fine. You can be the one that argues your case to the State Supreme Court, I will just keep a copy of my LTCH in my wallet. If the wording is not implicit on whether you need to have it on your possession or not , it is open to interpretation and I am not sure if it has been interpreted yet. I think Bill Clinton summed it up best with the statement, "It all depends on what the definition of 'is' is."

That's not what happens. The moment you produce the pink card and prove you're licensed the police are required by law to destroy any and all documentation pertaining to your arrest.

Good luck with the filing of charges, boys.

I quote:

Whenever a person who has been arrested or charged with a violation of section 1 of this chapter presents a valid license to the prosecuting attorney or establishes that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, any prosecution for a violation of section 1 of this chapter shall be dismissed immediately, and all records of an arrest or proceedings following arrest shall be destroyed immediately.

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I have NEVER been asked to produce my LTCH paperwork, any time I have been pulled over.

Of course my firearm isn't laying in the seat, or on the dash or flopping around in the glovebox.

So if they know I have one before approaching my car, they apparently haven't been too worried about it.

If the law says I don't have to have it on me, then, there you go. I always have mine though....but I have never ever been asked to produce it so a LEO can look at it.

Top Bottom