• ...and so much more!
  • The Spud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hoosier in Exile
    Hello all,

I am wondering if it is legal to carry a pistol that I do not own. For example, my wife recently received her lifetime license, and decided to purchase a Taurus M85. I'm usually not a revolver kind of person, but I really like this particular one. Is it legal for me, also a licensed individual, to carry my wife's pistol for my own personal protection?

My thanks in advance,

Brian
    "The Spud"

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If you have a LTCH and you are legally allowed to carry the gun (its not stolen) then there is no reason you would have any legal problem with carrying the gun. You don't have to show ownership of a firearm in Indiana.

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Indiana doesn't have any silly-ass laws about needing to list particular firearms on your LTCH, like some states. Carry whatever you like, as long as it ain't stolen.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Spud, you give that revolver back right now! That's worse than a crime, it's a marital offense. We can get the case down to two nights on the couch, but you got to take her someplace nice downtown.:D

In all seriousness, as long as you have the consent of the owner, then, yes, you may carry a borrowed pistol.

If you do not have permission, then that is Criminal Conversion or Theft.

The Spud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hoosier in Exile
    Nate, mel, Agent ... thanks for replies guys, really appreciated. And Kirk ... :) ... what's mine is mine, what's her's is ... wait, what was that honey? ... crap, yes dear ... what I meant to say Kirk is what's her's is her's, and my stuff just happens to be in the "her's" catagory too ...

BulletSponge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indy.
    Glocker
    supporter.gif

reputation_green.gif
    reputation_green.gif
    reputation_green.gif
    reputation_green.gif
    reputation_green.gif
    reputation_greenh.gif
    reputation_greenh.gif
    reputation_greenh.gif
    reputation_greenh.gif
    reputation_greenh.gif
    reputation_gold.gif
    reputation_gold.gif

You can carry any gun that is legally in your possession.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Not a problem

I'm not a lawyer but I play one on the internet. My guess is that since you are married to this woman it would be considered community property. After all you don't really think what's yours is yours do you? What's hers is hers and what's yours is hers too.

rkba_net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    I'm not a lawyer but I play one on the internet. My guess is that since you are married to this woman it would be considered community property. After all you don't really think what's yours is yours do you? What's hers is hers and what's yours is hers too.

Indiana is NOT a community property state. Beside this only comes into play when a couple divorces... When it pertains to marital property, Indiana is an "equitable distribution" state. When it pertains to debts, both spouses have responsibility for debts jointly incurred during the marriage, solely incurred debts are the responsibility of the account holder spouse.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    OK?

Indiana is NOT a community property state. Beside this only comes into play when a couple divorces... When it pertains to marital property, Indiana is an "equitable distribution" state. When it pertains to debts, both spouses have responsibility for debts jointly incurred during the marriage, solely incurred debts are the responsibility of the account holder spouse.

Sounds like you have more experience in this "equitable distribution" than I do, I'm still married to my first wife. The part of this I don't understand is that if a spouse buys a revolver in Indiana and a husband buys a pistol, how in the heck will the LEO know who owns what? It seems to me that most married couples consider these items as "ours" unless one of them cannot legally own a firearm.

Top Bottom