• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    Putnam Co
    So a buddy of mine calls me and says hey when you go home don't speed through the 45 mph zone there is a state cop who nailed me today. I said gotcha, he then adds that the guy saw his AR in his seat (unloaded) the officer asks what is that for, he proceeded to answer I was out at my property and just threw it in in case I saw a coyote. To which the officer said he thought that was a little much for shooting a coyote and ran all the numbers on the gun.
    So my question is can an officer insist on checking a gun or does he have to ask permission?

Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    Putnam Co
    I asked if he questioned him and he said he did not because he was all ready late. Which is I am assuming why he was speeding in the first place.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    "I respectfully decline any searches and seizures. I will cooperate with any mandatory orders."

He can't legally take it from you just to run the numbers unless he thinks it's been used in a crime, stolen, etc... But if he wants to run the numbers on it, he's damn sure going to run the numbers on it when he tells you to hand it over for officer safety. So it's really a moot point and not something worth arguing with an officer about.

I guess he didn't know what else to do, honestly I don't know either which is why I asked do they have to ask permission or can you deny their request to run the numbers?

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    The officer got it completely backwards. .223/5.56 is perfect for a coyote...it is barely enough for a deer (Illegal in many states) and even less appropriate for anything larger (like a person).

Pot stirred !
    That is why I carry a Thompson Contender at minimum for EDC. .308 is the smallest caliber I'll use for self defense.

Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    Putnam Co
    That's pretty much what I figured if they want to they are going to one way or another.

"I respectfully decline any searches and seizures. I will cooperate with any mandatory orders."

He can't legally take it from you just to run the numbers unless he thinks it's been used in a crime, stolen, etc... But if he wants to run the numbers on it, he's damn sure going to run the numbers on it when he tells you to hand it over for officer safety. So it's really a moot point and not something worth arguing with an officer about.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Unless he has probable cause (or consent to a search) why did he run the numbers on that rifle?

Not trying to be a jerk here, but I believe in standing up for my rights. Makes a dash cam seem like a better idea all the time.

Oh, and it sure as hell shouldn't matter to the cop if it was loaded or not. But who the hell carries around an unloaded rifle anyway?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

It's very much worth arguing, politely. I've done it and left the stop with none of the three officers touching my guns!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What would the officer do if the AR had a owner finished 80% lower with no numbers?

I asked this a while back. Never got any good answers other than hoping it's an informed officer (maybe an INGO LEO?).
    At that time, I decided no 80% lowers for me. It wasn't worth the possible confiscation/detain/arrest hassles while they were getting it all sorted out.

hdrenollet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    South Indy/Greenwood
    I guess he didn't know what else to do, honestly I don't know either which is why I asked do they have to ask permission or can you deny their request to run the numbers?

I'd be in the same boat... I would likely comply without question - I tend not to rock the boat and I'm overly compliant to officers' requests. My goal in any police interaction is to not be shot or tazed. I was almost tazed once even when I was being perfectly compliant with all of the officer's requests, so I try to completely avoid those situations if at all possible. If I have a problem with how I was treated, I'll take it up with someone else (or my attorney) after the fact.

However, I don't think I would have answered the "why I have it" question... or it would be a response like "because I can", or "in case of zombies", or "same reason you do"... something along those lines would have probably come out of my mouth.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Not defending the LEO here BUT, Legally an LEO can run the numbers and not under Officer Safety, They can do it under "Reasonable Suspician". Now as a former Municipal LEO myself I never did run gun numbers on a routine speeding ticket etc unless the spidy senses went off. However there are some LEO's that do it everytime and they are well within the law. It is easily avoided though, stay under the speed limt!

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Not defending the LEO here BUT, Legally an LEO can run the numbers and not under Officer Safety, They can do it under "Reasonable Suspician". Now as a former Municipal LEO myself I never did run gun numbers on a routine speeding ticket etc unless the spidy senses went off. However there are some LEO's that do it everytime and they are well within the law. It is easily avoided though, stay under the speed limt!

Gotta agree with this. I've been pulled over exactly once in my life and that was back when I was about 17 (5 years ago). Since then I've always waved when I passed a squad car and don't do more than about 5 over the limit.

I also wouldn't have a gun in plain sight if I could help it. That's why God invented trunks and truck seats that fold forward.

Top Bottom