• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodstock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2015
    Sullivan
    Does anyone else have any thoughts, opinions or better yet any funny stories about carrying your ccw around anti gun family members.

I am a college student, I had just finished my last final and my aunt and uncle called me to ask if I wanted to go with them to see the new Star Wars movie and I said sure. The next day We went to the theater in greenwood while we were waiting in line, an armed security guard was standing next to the line, he was openly carrying a smith and wesson sigma. My anti gun aunt saw his firearm and was shocked, she then proceed to ask me if his gun was a real gun or if it was a taser. She was completely oblivious to me carrying my Glock 19 in my inside the waistband holster right next to her, I responded with a smirk on my face by saying that yeah it is. She in a shocked tone asked me Again if it was a real gun I said yes this time she shook her head and said that it is ridiculous that he had a gun.

Do you guys have any idea how hard it was for me not to say yeah so is this while patting my Glock.:popcorn:

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Welcome to the forum. I carry around family members that are oblivious mostly. I've started on the 'I don't care if they know' path.

If I am in their house and carrying, I do my best to keep it completely concealed just to stop the drama.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I had an inlaw start in with the "nobody wants to take your guns away" tripe once at a get together. I changed the subject because I knew it wasn't the time or place. No discussions about carrying though.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Had my Aunt explain to me that she didn't know me & couldn't trust me, since she didn't raise me... Then proceeded to state that I'm "just a murderer waiting to kill someone."

Needless to say, my wife & I will do our damned best to never set foot on her property again.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I have a thread on here about my "pro" 2A uncle. He's a deputy with Marion County and owns a TON of firearms. Literally. He has an entire 48+ safe overflowing plus some in his ammo safe. He proceeded to attempt to get me to cover my firearm while at the same time pulling my new white shirt over it and in the process getting barbecue sauce on it.

Secondly, welcome to the forum. Stick around and make some friends. Some of us might even be close enough to you for a get together. I am not one, but I would come visit your town to see some of my friends and meet an INGOer or three.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Most people I associate with know I carry so it seldom comes up.
    One of my friends wife did comment once that she didn't think anyone needed to have a handgun. After a few minutes of trying and failing to educate her I gave up. He didn't comment during the whole conversation because he is not allowed to have an opinion...:rolleyes:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Remember, you can never change someones mind if you don't confront their ignorance.

I wouldn't go out of my way to agitate as that isn't cool. At the same time I wouldn't avoid just because they might get agitated.

Keep in mind that converting them might take monthes or even years. But the conversion chances are zero if there is no conversation and dialog.

Always be polite. Always be kind. Never back down. Educate yourself about facts, studies, and anecdotal stories. You may find that a very determined anti may well approach you someday as the "only reasonable person" they disagree with to ask for help with a firearm or learning to shoot.

Family always adds a level of complication, but that doesn't make things impossible.

Again, it could take years to convert someone, but that conversion is FAR more beneficial than preaching to the choir.

Regards,

Doug

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I personally don't have any true or die hard "anti" family members or if so they are quiet due to the majority. But I do have a couple of aunts who get uncomfortable with guns out around them, or if mine is visible etc. I am not saying it should be this way but I have much less patience with family than I do with others. Kind of in a you know where I stand already, so if you are uncomfortable why come around my house? At others house it's concealed anyhow, but at many I can walk in with a rifle for show and tell. Luckily I don't have any true anti 2A people. I do have distant family that isn't so pro gun but I only see them a couple times a year and for the most part they don't know. Those that do have not made a comment more than once due to the resistance of anti comments from the entire family. For the most part no one will say much of anything just due to the fact they know I could care less what they say and will continue to carry no matter what is done.

I think the best thing is to try and stay quiet. 2A stuff is the one thing I'll get super fired up on, and so it's best to bite my tongue in most cases.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Long ago, I decided that for myself the Second Amendment was a non-negotiable issue. I have converted a few wishy-washy friends. Those I could not convert, were discarded. I have ended up surrounded by a pro 2A group and I like it that way. The interview process for girlfriends included asking about their opinions on guns. Anti-gun women never got to the second date. Pro-gun women? We went to the range on date two or three. I have found that people that are anti-gun are generally afraid of a lot of things and I hate having to listen to people complain about the litany of things that scare them.

If that makes me a bad or shallow person so be it. I'll plead guilty to that with a big "So what"? At least I don't have to listen to a bunch of floppy headed liberal twits lecture me about their own hoplophobia. Other people's fears are not my problem.

Family? I don't have much of that left, but the remaining ones are fine with it. Many own guns themselves. In that respect, I'm lucky.

Coworkers? I really don't discuss firearms at work. Perhaps it's because I really could care less what any of them think, and doubt there would be any enlightening things to learn from them. I'm just there because pizza, bacon, beer and pistols cost money and they happen to be there too.

I suppose my advice boils down to: learn to not care what other people think. It's quite liberating.
    Chris

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My Grandma said to me one time that they should ban those assault rifles. I said well I just built one for (GFs name) for her Christmas present, so no I don't think they should. She got mad and left our house before I could explain that an AWB is worthless and wouldn't stop crime. That was about the last time we ever conversed.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Concealed means concealed. Can be a bit more challenging around a group of huggers. Get your gun side arm in low when you know the hug is coming so they don't feel your hidden weapon. If necessary for family harmony keeping it secret may be necessary.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    My exes mom never allowed firearms to be carried into her home due to an incident years ago.....I wasn't aware of this until 6 months later after carrying there the entire time. They were fine when they found out, they're not anti gun. They just never really met anyone responsible who carried until then.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I carried my full size S&W third generation auto at a family reunion with at least fifty people there: aunts/uncles, cousins, second cousins, second cousins once removed, etc.
    All of my cousins are conservative, some more pro-gun than others, but the aunts and uncles (all four of them) are all very liberal and anti-gun, as you might suspect.
    In fact, my mom's sister is so fervently anti-gun that she has actually gotten at least two of her letters to the editor expressing that printed in the Indy Star.
    But then, I have gotten two of my own supporting guns printed in the same paper, too, and we corresponded via e-mail about those. ;)
    We have an understanding between us: I'm not changing her mind, and she damn sure isn't changing mine.
    Other than being a total peacenik lefty and anti-gun, she and the other aunts and uncles are totally top shelf people who have been excellent parents anyone would be proud to call their own, and all their kids are likewise quality folks, nearly all of them with college degrees and good jobs.
    Only my wife and I ever knew that I was carrying a gun that would have made Colonel Jeff Cooper himself proud.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I was thinking it would make more sense to carry a Cop...

The problem with liberals is they just can't keep their opinions to themselves. They see the world as the place that needs to do what they want and be what they want without any deeper thought. We have a few liberal relatives and after putting up with their bull (for too long) we now confront them on their lunacy if they feel obliged to dump it on us. Some of them now stay away, others are not welcome in our home because they can't be polite.

It's funny, I've had some of their grown children come to me for advice on how to deal with them. To do so though, they have to be willing to watch them walk away and not come back...they will then spend the rest of their misguided lives blaming others instead of looking into the mirror and seeing the problem is them.

Some of those we haven't welcomed back think that because they are family no transgression should be too great to immediately forgive. I tell them that being family gets you in the door...the first time. After that it's up to them to be civil. Once the trust is gone I don't care who you are you're not welcome in my house. Meet on neutral ground somewhere maybe, but probably not on purpose.

Top Bottom