• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So recently i had a discussion with my wife....about two weeks ago i had my edc piece on my hip while i was sitting at home, and she asked me that question. I never really dug into the answer, all i said was, "to be prepared."
    she just kinda gave me a look like "for what, your at home." Now i give her a lot of slack because she is very pro gun but not really up on things when it comes to self protection. so it wasnt like a smarta** question or anything she really ddnt know y i carried at home.......Fast forward to sometime last week/earlier this week. Apparently there was a home invasion in kokomo where the homeowner, a woman was killed. Sad. Needless to say that was the next door neighbor to her uncle, an ex marine and a gentleman that i know for a fact would have definatley put a couple in those intruders f it was his house. The point is we got to talking about it and that that specific scenerio is why i have my edc piece on me even at home. I proceeded to tell her in most if not all home invasions are done by more than one perp. so now she really understands why i carry basically everywhere im at even at home.... Just wanted to share that. Thanks

Tell that according to a university study, 100% of home invasions occur in the home. ;)

hfdcowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Might want to re-think that one. Kids will find things. ;)

That is exactly why it was always on top of the safe, refrigerator, mantle, etc. I agree kids will find stuff that being said, she has been shooting and has been taught thus far to respect guns and not to touch them without my supervision. On the other hand i am not naive kids will sometimes push boundries.

I guess if im gonna carry at home i gotta keep it on the hip.

tj_v89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    I thought I was crazy because if I take a shower, I have my gun within arms reach...but I refuse to be a victim. It wouldn't be the most tactical thing ever if I had to engage a target from my bathroom due to the layout of the rest of my house, but I don't EVER want to be caught without a gun in my own home!

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    im glad so many people are putting there opinion and/or experience on this thread. It just solidifies you have to be prepared for anything and everything all the time. Good thread if i do, toot my own horn....LOL

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    We've had a number of threads on this.

Last time I looked at the statistics, the probability of having a home invasion was on par with the probability of having a house fire (depending on the source for HI stats), maybe a bit higher. Significant. Since just about everyone these days has smoke detectors and many have fire extinguishers, it just makes sense to have a means of home defense for an event that is just as (if not more) likely.

Also, these situations can/often develop far faster than most people realize. So fast that if your gun isn't on you or within arms reach, there may be no time to access it.

Check out post #16 (5' was not close enough) & 35 of this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/261926-guns_at_home-2.html

And another thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/262997-home_invasion.html

Carrying while at home ensures that your gun is in your control, accessible to you, and not accessible by others (i.e. like sitting on a shelf where the kid's could get to it).

hochwald

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    South Bend
    Don't want to start a flame war (esp against me!) but who has been saved/protected by having the gun carried on their person while at home? Versus who has had a near-accident with it because it was left accessible (to kids), or who has had a gun stolen because it was on a nightstand and not in a safe, or used against them in a robbery? Would be good to hear both sides of this discussion.

I mean this as a serious question, not to provoke, I always wondered about how balanced the pros and cons were.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If I'm awake and dressed, it's in my holster. If I'm asleep, it's on the nightstand next to the bed. The only time I'm away from it is when I'm in the shower, and even then it's within a couple of feet. There is nothing magic about my house that wards off criminals. The magic comes in 135g increments neatly double stacked 16 deep.

The thing I am wondering is; How long until it becomes common to keep a long arm within an arms reach? Right now, my shotgun is still in the bedroom and does not follow me around. How bad does it have to get before I lean it in the corner of whatever room I'm spending most of my day? I'm not there yet, but I'm not too far off of that point yet either.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Don't want to start a flame war (esp against me!) but who has been saved/protected by having the gun carried on their person while at home? Versus who has had a near-accident with it because it was left accessible (to kids), or who has had a gun stolen because it was on a nightstand and not in a safe, or used against them in a robbery? Would be good to hear both sides of this discussion.

I mean this as a serious question, not to provoke, I always wondered about how balanced the pros and cons were.

It really depends on the home situation. All of the situations above can be mitigated by keeping it in your holster and with you while awake, or on the nightstand only while in bed. If you have little ones running around, then I don't think the nightstand is a safe idea and maybe a quick access safe might be in order.

Being safe with guns is a different conversation than having guns accessible. If you live the 4 rules and are conscientious about keeping control of your weapon 24/7, then there should be no difference in the accident rate if you carry or do not. Both should be zero. But, if you are unsafe, your chances of making the news in a bad way are way up regardless of whether or not you carry it with you.

chadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    If I get a new gun or holster I like to wear it around awhile to get used to it. Inside the house is perfect for that. It's my house....

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The only time I don't have a firearm on me is when I don't have jeans on (i.e. in pajamas, sweatpants or shorts, etc). In those situations, it's always within reach.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    If I have worn my EDC out then it will be on me until bed or shower or if I have to take one of my kids to or from a school function where I have to go inside. Then it has to stay home. If it isn't on me then it is in the drawer of my bedside table. And I am getting a quick access drawer safe tonight. I am lucky in that my kids are all familiar with each of my weapons and that they are not to handle any of them without me or my wife present and working with them. And they show no undue curiosity whatsoever.

I probably should have a gun nearby more and I will be looking at the process more closely in the next month or so after looking at home invasion data lately.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    I've been thinking of keeping my AK out all night leaned in a convenient place, but as of now it always rides with me in the trunk of my car. When I get my LTCH with tax returns, the glock I keep nearby in the house will trade places with the AK. Even though I like the idea of having a rifle for confronting a situation out and about, if I have my glock for EDC on me while out and about, I need a gun for at the house.

I also read somewhere that 1 out of 5 homes will experience a home invasion at least once.

I might have to buy an SKS or something similar to keep in my trunk instead of the AK, so it can stay at home.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I also carry 100% of the time at home. I actually carry more at home than anywhere else (working on that). A wise man once posted long ago about all home invasions happening at home, and it clicked right then. Needless to say, I feel much more secure now.. My wife agrees 100% and also carries at home. She came from a gun free home so I feel very lucky to have a wise woman next me...

You are, theyre hard to find these days.

civilshoot582

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Morgan County
    I don't carry on my person all the time at home. Only mostly when I am up and moving around. Any other time, such as laying on the couch, it is within arms reach. Never hurts to be prepared.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I rarely have a gun on my person when I'm at home. However, I have one that is accessible at all times. For example, I'm sitting in my easy chair at this moment. Iv'e got my Bond Arms Snake Slayer within an arm's reach. Since I live in a small house, I can access by shotgun (or a number of other guns) within 10 seconds of any location.
    Bond Arms, hell of a hand cannon I used to own one. :(

Top Bottom