• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmfinney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    New Castle
    Okay I realize that this maybe a dumb question, but how many of you carry in your own home? The reason I ask this is I had a situation earlier today that a man came to my back door, the only reason that I knew about it was I heard my dogs barking outside, all he wanted to know was if he could get some scrap that I had laying out by my shed. It did occur to me after he left that if he had different intentions, I could've been a victim because my .45 was locked up.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I ALWAYS have my G19 on in the house (save for being in bed or the shower, and it's always within arm's reach. I have an OC holster that I use while I'm at home, and it works wonderfully.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Mr. Finny,
    I have my .45 on at all times until I get ready for bed, and then it is right next to my bed. In the situation you mentioned I would have been open carrying. I have an IWB galco leather holster, most of the time I have a cover shirt over it. When I get home I usually take that cover shirt off. I will then do my usual things like carry trash out, mow the grass, rap with the neighbors all with my 1911 sticking out of my belt on my right side.
    The answer... for me at least is emphatically YES I do carry at home.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I carry at home for a lot of reasons.
    Not the least of which is: Why not?
    If I take them off, I have to put them away somewhere...then I have to decide if I want them empty or not...then where do I put the ammo...then do I want to put them in the safe...or in a locking box...or use some other method of securing them?
    It's a lot of trouble, even if I don't ever need to get to one.
    More trouble than just carrying them.

Instead, they are either on me or locked up- either way- they are safe from the kids.

So, yes, I just carry any time I'm awake.
    By doing that, I always know where they are and what condition they are in.
    I'm also used to carrying them. If I only carried sometimes, it might bug me when I did. Now, I don't notice.
    When people complain about how uncomfortable a gun is to carry, I have to wonder if they carry it very long at a time or if they put it on and take it off constantly. If the latter is the case, I would expect it would be uncomfortable.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I agree whole heartedly Barry!!!
    I thought my IWB holster was uncomfortable at first. I decided that as Clint Smith says... your carry weapon is not supposed to be comfortable; it is supposed to be comforting. So I stuck it out, after about three weeks I could not remember if I put it on or not somedays and I have to just feel if it is there.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I carry at home all the time. The pistol(s) I carry are to buy me enough time to get to my house gun (an AR) if I need it.

No one is fast enough to react to a sudden entry into their home, move to where they have their gun stashed, and have time to deal with the problem. I know I certainly couldn't cross a room and retrieve a weapon if someone smashed the door open suddenly.

And as Barry mentioned, if it's on your person, it is secured.

Let's see . . . carrying on your person at hom offers:

1. Immediate access when needed.
    2. Weapon secured from unauthorized access.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I might not have it on me at all times but it is always within reach. I never answer the door at night without it either.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I might not have it on me at all times but it is always within reach. I never answer the door at night without it either.
    Same here. I just bought a Fobus gl2b. It's perfect for carrying around the house and yard, granted I am wearing pants.

Top Bottom