• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    OK, We have had many discussions about carrying in a church with a daycare or preschool. I understand that there is the potential for the school/daycare prohibition to be applied judicially to the church as a whole, 24/7. As I sat disarmed in church today (my church has a daycare/preschool during the week), I was thinking about the 2 knives in my pocket. It occurred to me that there is also a prohibition about knives in a school.

That being said, if you can't carry a handgun in a church with a daycare/preschool, what are your thoughts on a knife? Do you think that there would be less chance of prosecution for a knife than a gun? What makes them different? In my estimation, they wouldn't bother with prosecuting a knife (think grandpa with his pen knife), so why would they prosecute a gun?

Just curious on your thoughts on the issue.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I believe you would be legal. Note the bold section below.
    IC 35-47-5-2.5
    Possession of a knife on school property
    Sec. 2.5. (a) As used in this section, "knife" means an instrument that:
    (1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and
    (2) is intended to be used as a weapon.
    (b) The term includes a dagger, dirk, poniard, stiletto, switchblade knife, or gravity knife.
    (c) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally possesses a knife on:
    (1) school property (as defined in IC 35-41-1-24.7);
    (2) a school bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-8); or
    (3) a special purpose bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-10);
    commits a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the person has a previous unrelated conviction under this section and a Class D felony if the offense results in bodily injury or serious bodily injury to another person.
    (d) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a knife:
    (1) if:
    (A) the knife is provided to the person by the school corporation or possession of the knife is authorized by the school corporation; and
    (B) the person uses the knife for a purpose authorized by the school corporation; or
    (2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.
    As added by P.L.72-2006, SEC.9.
    If you were seen carrying or using you knife for any purpose other than as a weapon, it will be very difficult to argue that it being carried as such. If you need it as a weapon, legal trouble will probably be the least of your worries. IANAL, TINLA.

groundhog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    Munster
    Thanks for the discussion. I do not carry in Church/School because it is not legal, but I do carry two knives.

One as a utility tool, and one as a defensive tool. My defensive tool is in place of where I would normally carry. Front right pocket.

I will soon replace my defensive knife with an AK-47! :):

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    This is why I do not attend a church that meets in a school or has a pre-school in Indiana.

Too bad that Indiana law includes pre-schools (I disagree with the school prohibition too) as lots of churches have them as a community outreach/service.

Buckaroo

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Our lawmakers didn't have the foresight to understand that churches are hot targets for thiefs. Every Sunday around offering time, churches are prime targets for a quick grab of cash. Sit in the back of the church or wait inconspicously in the hall when the ushers come out with "thousands" in cash and checks and Walla - grab and run. Most thiefs rely on the fact that "law abiding citizens" will respect the law and not carry a their handgun in church and therefore know that they are easy targets. Just another way to limit citizens' ability to protect themselves...

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    :hijack: Since we're on the subject of guns and church.

What if you are employeed by the church in a "Security" role. would the law still apply or is there an exemption for that?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    :hijack: Since we're on the subject of guns and church.

What if you are employeed by the church in a "Security" role. would the law still apply or is there an exemption for that?
    You're good. Here's the code:
    Information Maintained by the Office of Code Revision Indiana Legislative Services Agency
    IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses
    IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.

(3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    My church also has a daycare/preschool Monday-Friday. I have talked with a LEO who attends the church and he told me that since the church is used as a multi-functional facility it would only be "school property" during the hours the daycare is operating not 24/7. Now everyone can interpret the definition differently but at least I know I won't have any trouble with him on Sunday mornings or any other time.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My church also has a daycare/preschool Monday-Friday. I have talked with a LEO who attends the church and he told me that since the church is used as a multi-functional facility it would only be "school property" during the hours the daycare is operating not 24/7. Now everyone can interpret the definition differently but at least I know I won't have any trouble with him on Sunday mornings or any other time.

He's wrong. You may not have trouble from him, but it's still a felony. A school is a school 24x7x365, according to the statutes.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So I carry 2 pocket knives. If I was caught at a school with them, as long as I said they were tools, then I'm legal.

What if they don't believe you? What should you do then?

IC 35-47-5-2.5
    (1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and
    (b) The term includes a dagger, dirk, poniard, stiletto, switchblade knife, or gravity knife.
    (c) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally possesses a knife on:
    (1) school property (as defined in IC 35-41-1-24.7);
    (2) a school bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-8); or
    (3) a special purpose bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-10);
    commits a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the person has a previous unrelated conviction under this section and a Class D felony if the offense results in bodily injury or serious bodily injury to another person.
    (d) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a knife:
    (1) if:
    (A) the knife is provided to the person by the school corporation or possession of the knife is authorized by the school corporation; and
    (B) the person uses the knife for a purpose authorized by the school corporation; or
    (2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.
    As added by P.L.72-2006, SEC.9.
    If you were seen carrying or using you knife for any purpose other than as a weapon, it will be very difficult to argue that it being carried as such. If you need it as a weapon, legal trouble will probably be the least of your worries. IANAL, TINLA.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    So I carry 2 pocket knives. If I was caught at a school with them, as long as I said they were tools, then I'm legal.

What if they don't believe you? What should you do then?

They would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you intended to use it as a weapon to harm someone. I would think it near impossible for them to get you unless you signed a hand-written letter declaring that you are going to cut so-and-so with your knife. As far as I understand, you could carry a machete with you as long as you don't want to hurt anyone.

Even if I carry a knife for protection, I don't ever "intend" to use it as a weapon. If it happens then fine, but it's just a tool until then.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The reason i carry two is one is a tool, the other is backup in case the first one gets dull.

FTFY.

Thanks for the discussion. I do not carry in Church/School because it is not legal, but I do carry two knives.

See above.

No, they are both tools, remember?;)

Exactly.

They would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you intended to use it as a weapon to harm someone. I would think it near impossible for them to get you unless you signed a hand-written letter declaring that you are going to cut so-and-so with your knife. As far as I understand, you could carry a machete with you as long as you don't want to hurt anyone.

Even if I carry a knife for protection, I don't ever "intend" to use it as a weapon. If it happens then fine, but it's just a tool until then.

Depending, for myself if I was on the jury and you were just carrying it and not threatening anyone, you would walk. But if you were carrying a knife that is designed and marketed as a defensive knife, I could see a prosecutor getting a jury to convict. For example something like this. :):
    YouTube - A covert review of the Death Dealer 2000

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IC 35-47-5-2.5
    ETA, nevermind... missed a single word in there, it's not the same as my other example...

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Ferris Wheel of Death!? OMG I cannot believe I wasted 90 seconds on that (I skipped forward to the good part)

Top Bottom