• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Headed to the Buckeye state sometime in the future and have been doing my homework on the laws. I understand that the no gun signs hold the weight of the law. What about hotels? If I pack my EDC in my suitcase unloaded, can I have it loaded in my room? I seem to recall hearing something about homestead or something similar.

Anyone shed some light on this for me?

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Why not just stay in a hotel that doesn't prohibit guns and carry your sidearm on you where it belongs?

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Are there any stipulations on how signs must be posted? Last time I saw one in Ohio it was 8ft off the ground to the side of a sliding door and almost missed it, and was almost obstructed. I don't want to play a guessing game of find the sign in the future.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    IANAL but as I recall hotels cannot post those.

according to ohio law, you are cool... per code 2923.121 subsection C , hotel rooms are exempt from the no carry signs. At least that what my CCW iphone app says regarding the state law.

ETA Im not sure you can carry in the resort area, but as for preventing you from taking it to your room they cannot.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    IANAL but as I recall hotels cannot post those.

according to ohio law, you are cool... per code 2923.121 subsection C , hotel rooms are exempt from the no carry signs. At least that what my CCW iphone app says regarding the state law.

ETA Im not sure you can carry in the resort area, but as for preventing you from taking it to your room they cannot.

Yeah, I'd have a tough time concealing it in my speedo.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    From what I can find, the hotel room is considered your residence so just having the gun in it is legal, just not carrying it to the room on your person. So it will be unloaded per Ohio code before I leave the vehicle and put in my luggage.

The other option is leaving it in my car and I hate doing that.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    From what I can find, the hotel room is considered your residence so just having the gun in it is legal, just not carrying it to the room on your person. So it will be unloaded per Ohio code before I leave the vehicle and put in my luggage.

I believe you are correct. The only other issue is what to do with your firearm if you should happen to want to go to the waterpark. Might have to take it to the vehicle. Most certainly would'nt wanna leave it in the room.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    2923.126(3)(c)(b) A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee and who on or after September 9, 2008, enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant’s guest while the tenant is present, from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on
    those residential premises.

Would a hotel room fall under a rental/lease agreement? This section deals with landlords being unable to restrict access. I would guess this may fall under that umbrella.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

If the hotel room falls under the definition of a residence, why wouldn't you be able to carry the gun on your person to the room?

That's like living in an apartment building and having to disarm to ride the elevator to get to your front door.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Another thing to keep in mind about OH: if you get pinched for speeding, or have any interaction with a LEO, your first words need to be "Excuse me officer, I am legally obligated to tell you that I have a concealed carry licence and a concealed firearm"

If the hotel room falls under the definition of a residence, why wouldn't you be able to carry the gun on your person to the room?
    That's like living in an apartment building and having to disarm to ride the elevator to get to your front door.

I think the "while on the rental premises" would allow you to carry in the hotel at large. IANAL...
    Depends on what caliber you are packing.
    You talking about the firearm?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Jesus, just deep conceal and keep your mouth closed.

I think that's the route most people end up going. Having just moved to OH I'm thinking about changing the way I carry because the no gun signs have the force of law. They should be conspicuously posted but I really don't want to test a lawyer on that issue. I've had to do a bit of searching to find some of the ones I've come across.

Top Bottom