• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • locki433

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    I have this friend who travels in Ohio regularly for his job. He has his LTCH, but of course that is no good in Ohio. He is to lazy to get his Utah permit. If he's caught in Ohio, it's a misdemeanor. Question is, could he lose his Indiana LTCH if convicted of that. I'm trying to use this as an arguement to get his Utah permit. Thanks

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I have this friend who travels in Ohio regularly for his job. He has his LTCH, but of course that is no good in Ohio. He is to lazy to get his Utah permit. If he's caught in Ohio, it's a misdemeanor. Question is, could he lose his Indiana LTCH if convicted of that. I'm trying to use this as an arguement to get his Utah permit. Thanks

I'd say losing his IN LTCH would be the least of his worries.

Florida works in OH, too. That's what I did. If he is a vet, they waive the training requirement.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I say if he's too lazy to get a Utah or Florida license let the chips fall where they will. Ohio requires you to inform the officer if you are stopped and carrying. That could be another charge against him. Court appearances, fines, possible jail time, confiscation of firearm. No thanks!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Yep, open carry is lawful in most states without a permit, but some of them (like Ohio) have wacky definitions of what is considered concealed.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Arizona is also accepted by Ohio and AZ accepts any course offered by an NRA instructor for the training requirement. So if your friend has taken another course it could count toward AZ and AZ is a lot cheaper than Florida.

Open carry in a vehicle in OH is considered concealed and requires a permit.

Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country
    Definition of loaded from Ohio Revised Code
    (5)(a) "Unloaded" means, with respect to a firearm other than a firearm described in division (K)(6) of this section, that no ammunition is in the firearm in question, no magazine or speed loader containing ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question , and one of the following applies:(i) There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader that is in the vehicle in question and that may be used with the firearm in question.(ii) Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure.(b) For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a)(ii) of this section, a "container that provides complete and separate enclosure" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:(i) A package, box, or case with multiple compartments, as long as the loaded magazine or speed loader and the firearm in question either are in separate compartments within the package, box, or case, or, if they are in the same compartment, the magazine or speed loader is contained within a separate enclosure in that compartment that does not contain the firearm and that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents or the firearm is contained within a separate enclosure of that nature in that compartment that does not contain the magazine or speed loader;(ii) A pocket or other enclosure on the person of the person in question that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents.(c) For the purposes of divisions (K)(5)(a) and (b) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.(6) "Unloaded" means, with respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.(7) "Commercial motor vehicle" has the same meaning as in division (A) of section 4506.25 of the Revised Code.

Keep the loaded mag in a separate pocket from the firearm.

How to keep it in a car:
    B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:(1) In a closed package, box, or case;(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

My personal favorite, notification.
    (E) No person who has been issued a concealed handgun license, who is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as a result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose or is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.34 of the Revised Code, and who is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle in any manner, shall do any of the following:(1) Fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle;(2) Fail to promptly inform the employee of the unit who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the commercial motor vehicle;(3) Knowingly fail to remain in the motor vehicle while stopped or knowingly fail to keep the person's hands in plain sight at any time after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the person while stopped and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the failure is pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by a law enforcement officer;(4) Knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the person's hands or fingers in the motor vehicle at any time after the law enforcement officer begins approaching and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the person has contact with the loaded handgun pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by the law enforcement officer;(5) Knowingly disregard or fail to comply with any lawful order of any law enforcement officer given while the motor vehicle is stopped, including, but not limited to, a specific order to the person to keep the person's hands in plain sight.

These are from Lawriter - ORC - 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle. .

We have come a long way. I work in Canton, and travel through it almost every day. Lots of people I know from Ohioans for Concealed Carry also live or work in Canton. Overall, reports of handgun carriers being hassled are becoming fewer over the years. Even in larger cities like Columbus and Cincinnati, open carriers aren't having trouble either. The city of Cleveland put out a policy regarding open carry recently, which was surprising, since Cleveland has been one of the most unfriendly cities.

No license needed to open carry. Just unload it before getting into the car. I do recommend being discreet when you reload. There have been some MWAG calls recently when passersby got scared seeing a person loading a handgun.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Ohio. We aren't really that bad, honest!

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So the mag needs to be somewhere that requires you to exit the car to retrieve it? Trunk, then? Or maybe throw it in the backseat, or under the passenger seat?

Do you have to notify if you have it in this unloaded situation?

Asking this from our office in Ohio... which I drive to twice a month

Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country
    A pocket on the outside of a gun case that has a buckle , snap or zipper would satisfy the law.
    Note this part:
    Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure.
    Notification is for loaded guns, not unloaded.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    "HB 234 would allow anyone with a concealed carry permit from any state—even states that have no training requirements and award permits to criminals—to carry a concealed, loaded gun in public in Ohio," said Michele Mueller, the Ohio Chapter Leader of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America.

She has to be talking about the politicians in DC when she references awarding permits to criminals...

Top Bottom