• ...and so much more!
  • LoganK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2013
    Brazil
    Hello,

I am currently doing a paper on concealed carry on college campuses in Indiana, and I am yet to find any laws that say you are not allowed to carry on college campuses. I currently attend ISU and it is absolutely against the rules to carry on campus? Can anyone link me to the statue that states we are legally not allowed to carry?

Thank you

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Unless you consider the fact that most college campi are no more than day care centers, you won't find it because I don't believe there is anything restricting it in the Indiana Code.

LoganK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2013
    Brazil
    Alright thank you for the advice. I was almost positive there wasn't anything in Indiana code prohibiting it, but wanted to get the most current information possible and this seemed like a good site.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    You won't find any such laws. It is not illegal. If you are a student or perhaps an employee at that university, you may be subject to discipline/expulsion/termination for violating a policy of that particular university, but if you are a citizen unaffiliated with the entity (like me, for example) then they have no recourse against me carrying on campus other than asking me to leave; and a public institution doesn't even have that. However, be aware that all prohibitions that ARE in the Code (daycare centers, et. al.) would still apply.

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    Yup, no law prohibiting it. When I attended university I always carried my firearm. To me, the possibility of needing it to save my own life or the life of others was worth the risk of possible disciplinary action. I graduated after 4 years and no one was the wiser :cool:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Carry Away. :draw:

It's against THEIR rules.
    It's against THEIR politics.
    It's against THEIR agenda.

I've seen rulebooks that claim it's flatout against the law and I've also seen it worded to seem like it was.
    There are campus cops that will insinuate the same but they can't legally do a thing to you other than ask you to leave. Of course being a student there, you'd be kicked out but not arrested unless you refuse to vacate the premises.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Not illegal in IN, but against the rules of virtually every college in IN.
    Some states it is illegal (FL, ?), some states have laws that make the prohibition of legal carry illegal (UT & CO I believe).

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    THe above are correct as far as I understand. It is the same as a private store restricting CCW --> it boils down to a trespassing issue.
    There could certainly be consequences like expulsion, etc., not to mention the immediate freak-out and overblown response if/when this happens.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I did a similar paper for concealed carry at VU last semester. My professor enjoyed it but it didn't do any good. From what I understand if you get caught at VU with a weapon you will be expelled with no credits awarded and possible criminal charges (they didn't elaborate on what the charges would be). But I assume the rules will be different on each campus

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I did a similar paper for concealed carry at VU last semester. My professor enjoyed it but it didn't do any good. From what I understand if you get caught at VU with a weapon you will be expelled with no credits awarded and possible criminal charges (they didn't elaborate on what the charges would be). But I assume the rules will be different on each campus

Vincennes University is a public university. I would guess they add that line for the intimidation effect it has on those that don't know any better.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I never noticed this before, but it seems like this might make carrying at IU Bloomington and IUPUI illegal? Am I right? ECES Center or Young Children : Finance and Administration : IUPUI

Would that make the whole campus a no-go?
    It would be my guess that this would be limited to the building which houses such care and whatever distance surrounding it which may be defined in the law.

I'm no legal expert, but I see a significant "loophole" (for lack of better word) where the law may or may not apply to the entire campus vs just the building. I don't intend on becoming the example of case law however.

Perhaps a resident attorney can comment?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Rose-Hulman in Terre Haute has a campus rule against carry. They do not post the rule, therefore for visitors - not students or faculty - may be asked to leave. Same as any private property, if you refuse to leave then you could face tresspass charges. Rose doesn't post their rule, but the students and faculty are required to know. If you work there it could cost you your job. If you're a student there you may be expelled.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Personal experience, you won't be expelled unless you're being an idiot.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    What's more, not only is there nothing in the code that says you can't carry on a college campus, licensed individuals COULD carry at some institutions before the most recent set of policies were instituted.

For example, licensed staff could carry at IU as recently as the mid '90s (before President Myles, "not from around here," Brand instituted the no guns on campus policy, kicked the gun club off campus, and stopped shooting classes in the rec sports program, which were ALWAYS full BTW.) Nothing, that is no negative event, precipitated this. It was imply his/the institutions desire to impose their liberal philosophy. Would be great if the IN legislature did what has been done in a few other states, and reasserted their control over this area by including state college campuses in the preemption provision.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Rose-Hulman in Terre Haute has a campus rule against carry. They do not post the rule, therefore for visitors - not students or faculty - may be asked to leave. Same as any private property, if you refuse to leave then you could face tresspass charges. Rose doesn't post their rule, but the students and faculty are required to know. If you work there it could cost you your job. If you're a student there you may be expelled.

Good Lord! What has happened to my alma mater? Rose used to have a championship level rifle team, and respected individual liberties. Lot changes in 20 years, I guess...

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport

Since when? I know when I attended Rose, they were very lenient in regards to firearms. I have no clue what the carry rule was then, but I do know that I kept long guns in my dorm room as did others, and the RA was made aware of this and stated that per the rules, as long as they were locked up they were fine.

Top Bottom