• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slamer283

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    New Castle
    so i wondering if i can carry out of state. there was a thread posted just a few min ago about a guy going on a trip to florida. is this legal? or if i would happen to get pulled over could i go to jail? this is a big concern of mine.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I just got back from Florida, all the states I drove through honor IN carry permit. Just make sure you have you drivers linsence and permit(make sure the info on both is the same). Look up the states laws and follow them. Be smart.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    I just got back from Florida, all the states I drove through honor IN carry permit. Just make sure you have you drivers linsence and permit(make sure the info on both is the same). Look up the states laws and follow them. Be smart.
    How did you get there?

TN does not recognize IN LTCH any longer.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Handgunlaw.us : CCW Map

Every state has their own laws regarding no carry zones & requirements to notify LEO's during official interactions (like traffic stops).

I have read no information stating that TN stopped recognizing IN LTC's. WY is the only state that this was potentially going to happen, and that is on hold, for the moment.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    How did you get there?

TN does not recognize IN LTCH any longer.

According to TN law you can.

From TN code

Tennessee Code Annotated Section 39-17-1351(r).

"(r)(1) A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state; provided, however, the provisions of this subsection shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any such out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun."
    "(2) For a person to lawfully carry a handgun in this state based upon a permit or license issued in another state, the person must be in possession of the permit or license at all times such person carries a handgun in this state. "
    "(3)(A) The commissioner of safety shall enter into written reciprocity agreements with other states that require the execution of such agreements. The commissioner of safety shall prepare and publicly publish a current list of states honoring permits issued by the state of Tennessee and shall make the list available to anyone upon request. The commissioner of safety shall also prepare and publicly publish a current list of states who, after inquiry by the commissioner, refuse to enter into a reciprocity agreement with this state or honor handgun carry permits issued by this state. To the extent that any state may impose conditions in such reciprocity agreements, the commissioner of safety shall publish those conditions as part of the list. If another state imposes conditions on Tennessee permit holders in a reciprocity agreement, such conditions shall also become a part of the agreement and apply to the other states permit holders when they carry a handgun in this state. "

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I don't trust any of the "compilation" sites. They're good to get a general idea, but laws change so much and the stakes are high enough that I check directly with every state I'm going through on a particular trip.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    This is in the Sticky...States that honor Indiana's permit, on the 5th page

The Federal Peaceable Journey laws allow you to legally transport a firearm through a state where you are not licensed provided you are legal at both the start and the end of your journey. There are some other things you must do to be compliant.

As far as I have read the other things you have to do is have it locked, and unloaded. Unloaded meaning you don't even have a mag with ammo in it.

Hope this helps!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Tennessee DOES honor Indiana's permit. There's just not an "official reciprocity agreement" with Indiana because neither Indiana nor Tennessee require that there be one.

One thing that you MUST DO is to look up, study, print out, memorize, etc the rules for carry in the state you're in.

You need to know if that particular state requires notifying LEO, you must know if it's legal to carry in establishments that serve alcohol, you must know if the state has a duty to retreat law, etc etc etc.

Of course, you also must be sure that the state/s you're in honor Indiana's permit. Ohio, for one, does not.

But if you're going to Flori-duh...you're good to go (as long as you follow their laws!)

-J-

Top Bottom