• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    In my completely NOT A PROFESSIONAL opinion, this would mean that you would be able to stop for the night in a state that doesn't let you carry the weapon but wherein also you may possess it. The justification is that if you are allowed to possess the firearm within the hotel room, or in the home of the person you're visiting en route that night, then the statute applies to get you into that room and out of that room.

Tell that to the guy who was arrested at the New Jersey Airport because he had to stay overnight when his flight was cancelled.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As the Freedom Fighters of France learned to move among the Nazis, so will we learn to move among the Nazis. American ingenuity is real and it works. Use it to our advantage.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Tell that to the guy who was arrested at the New Jersey Airport because he had to stay overnight when his flight was cancelled.

Doesn't seem like the law would cover this. If he stayed in the airport, that wouldn't be considered a temporary dwelling since it is a public building. If he stayed in a motel then how did he get the firearm there? Most likely not in his vehicle since he was flying.

Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana
    Florida tried to change that last session, but failed. There were bills introduced that would have legalized open carry. The NRA, however, endorsed different bills that merely sought to make it okay for people whose weapon accidentally was revealed. The pro-gun votes were split, and none of the bills passed into law.

An example of one of the bills that failed to pass
    ‘Open Carry’ Gun Bill Clears Senate Committee « CBS Miami

An explanation by a Florida resident and original member (co-founder?) of a group called Florida Carry
    Sharp as a Marble - As of now, no Open Carry for Floridians

The bill passed, but was whittled down to merely protecting inadvertant exposure.

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense. (2) A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense: (a) A self-defense chemical spray. (b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes. (3) Any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. History.—s. 1, ch. 87-537; s. 173, ch. 91-224; s. 3, ch. 97-72; s. 1205, ch. 97-102; s. 3, ch. 2006-298; s. 1, ch. 2011-145.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/790.053

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Handgun was in checked bags. They arrested him the next day when he claimed his gun when checking in.

Traveling Man's Gun Arrest Appealed to Supreme Court | Fox News
    That's why. While the man did nothing wrong ethically, he did break the law by having it in his possession. He should have refused to take it and made the airline hang on to it until he got to his final destination. I thought this was common sense when flying through places firearms are banned.

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    The Federal Firearms Transportation Statute covers you en route during interstate travel.

18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

Before you enter a state that does not honor your Indiana LTCH, unload the weapon and place the ammo and firearm in separate compartments of your range bag or suitcase in the trunk. Then, continue to avoid any interaction with LEO.

This is how I did it on my two trips to Flawda. Don't forget North Carolina, if you run the interstate you go thru North Carolina for a short time,I unloaded at the state line and put my gun in the trunk. When I crossed into Georgia I loaded up and went along my way.

Much better roads this way unlike I-65 and the big plus you avoid Alanta!

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    This is how I did it on my two trips to Flawda. Don't forget North Carolina, if you run the interstate you go thru North Carolina for a short time,I unloaded at the state line and put my gun in the trunk. When I crossed into Georgia I loaded up and went along my way.

Much better roads this way unlike I-65 and the big plus you avoid Alanta!

I thought N. Carolina recognized our LTCH?

Top Bottom