• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What do you guys do, and why? How many bullets are enough?

No one knows how many rounds it will take to stop any given threat, even if your shot placement if good. No one knows how many threats you will face at one time.

Try to carry "enough." No one can quantify that number, but if you don't have a reload, I would not consider that to be "enough."

Second, many malfunctions of self-loading pistols are going to be caused by the magazine. You need a spare in case that happens.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Of course you carry a spare. At least one.

The old adage, "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I think that applies here.

Rule of thumb is, carry at least one reload for your primary weapon. If you carry a BUG, you should still carry a spare for the main firearm.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I generally don't carry extra ammunition. Under normal circumstances I just carry what the gun holds. The only exception is when I am packing that ridiculous .38 special derringer.

There is no real good reason for this except that I don't really have an extra pocket for them.

Buy "extra pockets" Mine are made by JBP. They are resonably priced and the quality is great. Ive carried mine for 3yrs now with a few different brands of mags and they still look new. I even have JBP speed loader holders for my LCR.

I do own several magazines for each semi-auto and even two speedloaders for each revolver, but I rarely carry them. What do you guys do, and why? How many bullets are enough?

This is what I do:

001-2.jpg

Gun on the right (strong hand) at about 4 o'clock mags on the left (weak hand) about 8 o'clock. Conceals well and the mag carriers look just like a multitool or cell phone pouch

What would the fall-out be if someone had to shoot a guy and then was found to be carrying an unusual quantity of ammunition? Would that be like carrying Zombie bullets? What I mean is would it make the shooter look like a guy looking for trouble? I am just curious what everybody else is doing and haven't really found anyone discussing this.

As other have said mostly its incase of malfuntion. Remember "anything that can go wrong will go wrong" so it pays to be prepared.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    I normally don't carry extra mags with me, but will probably start. I would hate to have my magazine cause an issue. My Beretta has never had issues with the magazine so far, but I would hate to be in a situation where I need a spare mag and don't have one. I agree that carrying extra mags would be a great idea.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I take an "ammo boy" with me everywhere I go. If I run short on ammo I just call him up for re-supply. He responds to the call, "ammo boy"

Crazy times=crazy solutions.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Considering that the cop that had to shoot the naked guy eating another guys face off shot at least 6 times before the perp assumed ambient temperature. I think having a little extra ammo would be a comforting thing.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    "I carry a two shot .38 derringer", Theres your problem right there, while its better than nothing, upgrade to at least a Glock-26 or glock-27.

jwhites4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    When i carried my Sig 226 in 9mm I carried 2- 20 round mags just to balance my belt a little. Now that my carry gun is a XD 45 I just carry 1 extra 13 round mag and have my gun either loaded with a 10 or 13 considering what I am wearing or if I'm OC or CC. There are times I pocket carry (work and school) a TCP .380 and carry one extra mag just in case the mag fails. I would think there is no way you can get in trouble for carring extra mags or ammo... unless you walk into a 5/3 bank.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I take an "ammo boy" with me everywhere I go. If I run short on ammo I just call him up for re-supply. He responds to the call, "ammo boy"

Crazy times=crazy solutions.

:yesway: This is a great idea! I often run out of room in my own pockets for extra ammo. So, I think I will just have my 8 year son carry an extra mag or three. That way when I get into a running gun battle I can just yell for him to bring supplies. He is short so the attacker probably won't even see him. :D :laugh:

Normally I just carry one spare mag on my weak side. The reason for the spare mag is for the reasons previously stated and that is a weapon malfunction. Though nobody can fault a man for carrying more ammo! Usually I just carry my J-Frame IWB for casual excursions and usually this includes a speed loader in my right front pocket. If I decide to pocket carry the revolver I almost never carry a reload. So have much ammo I have on my person can vary from 5 to 27 rounds depending on attire.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I will take all of your advice and carry more bullets. As far as the sage wisdom of using an "ammo boy" (GENIUS!). I intend to change it enough to defeat your patents. I will recruit a 5 year old "ammo girl"! That way she will sneak around taking all your bullets and save me enough to pay her salary.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    A good ammo boy or girl should also be proficient enough to help you choose the right pistol and how to properly line up your shot. Then afterward wipe your piece down and put it back in the bag. Wait, are we talking shooting or golf?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    How many rounds I have on me will depend on where I am. If I'm stopping over at my mother's house for coffee on a Sunday morning, I'm good to go with just a 1911 and no spares. At the other end of the scale, if I'm in the city, at the 1500 or on the canal, I tend to carry a CZ 75 (16+1) and a spare mag for 33 rounds.

Top Bottom