Carrying While Dancing; G26 Belt Holster = Fail?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    So I'm going to a wedding tomorrow. The reception is going to have swing dancing (which the bride and groom are into). I'm good friends with the groom and he's asked me to dance the the reception to try to help other guests feel free to dance, too. I'm going to be carrying at the wedding (Glock 26 in a Glock Sport/Combat holster -- will be concealed by my suit jacket. This is the only OWB holster that I own and my suit is way to tight to go IWB). I'm trying to figure out what to do for reception. I do not think there is any way I can swing dance and stay concealed. Plus, it would be nicer to dance without my coat on. My options as I see them:

1) Leave gun locked up in car during reception (or at least until dancing is well and done with). Pros: Not getting spotted. Cons: No gun with me at reception.

2) Put gun in coat pocket/wife's purse before entering reception, leave coat/wife's purse at table while dancing. I believe they have rented a large ballroom that will have dinner tables + a dance floor. Pros: Not getting spotted + Having gun near me at reception. Cons: Gun not 100% under my control.

3) Not dance. Break word to friend. Be sad. Pros: Armed during receptions. Cons: everything else.

Ok, what does INGO think? I really don't want to do 3, and I know there will be at least two other armed guests at the wedding and reception. But, I am not sure I am comfortable with option 2. Never done off-body carry and don't like the idea of leaving it out of my control for a while during dancing.

Thoughts?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Show up to weeding on crutches, stay armed and concealed and don't upset the groom, he doesn't need to know you are faking.

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    Couple of options to think about:

1) When you take your coat off, untuck your shirt as well... not real pretty but "you need to be comfortable while dancing"

2) (as mentioned before) Belly Band. You can put it over your T-shirt but under your dress shirt and wear it around your chest so the G26 is cross-draw under your weak-side arm. I guess I'm trying to say it doesn't have to be around the waist if the pants are too tight. Wouldn't take any longer to access than running across the room to your wife's purse...

3) Thunderwear - if the pants aren't too tight in that area

Good Luck!

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I swing dance, and i own a belly band. Let me tell you, if you are swing dancing right, there is not a holster in the world that will help you, unless its a very very small gun, maybe on your ankle if you have extra long suit pants. Now if you are doing that lazy low energy swing, you might be able to get away belly band around your chest, make sure to install retention straps on the belly band.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    If it were me with my white boy dance skills I would use the gun on myself as soon as I were pulled onto the dance floor. Problem solved and embarrasment eluded.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I swing dance, and i own a belly band. Let me tell you, if you are swing dancing right, there is not a holster in the world that will help you, unless its a very very small gun, maybe on your ankle if you have extra long suit pants. Now if you are doing that lazy low energy swing, you might be able to get away belly band around your chest, make sure to install retention straps on the belly band.

Duct tape the gun to your body under your shirt? :dunno:

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    If this were a Middle Eastern wedding, you could just hit the dance floor, gun in the air, firing random rounds upward in full on celebration (never caring where they fall of course).

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Show up to weeding on crutches, stay armed and concealed and don't upset the groom, he doesn't need to know you are faking.

Umm...no.

belly band.

or buy a LCP and put it in your pocket

Edit: why cant you just carry the 26 in your pocket? they are very compact

LCP is a good suggestion. Not gonna buy a new gun for this, but this is the kind of situation it would be useful. I don't have a pocket holster, so pocket carry is an issue, plus vigorous swing dancing is going to make a 2 lb. brick in my pocket kinda obvious.

Or, go buy an Uncle Mikes pancake with a retention strap for $15.

I'm not sure how that holster would help. Retention's not my issue -- avoiding exposure is my issue.

Couple of options to think about:

1) When you take your coat off, untuck your shirt as well... not real pretty but "you need to be comfortable while dancing"

2) (as mentioned before) Belly Band. You can put it over your T-shirt but under your dress shirt and wear it around your chest so the G26 is cross-draw under your weak-side arm. I guess I'm trying to say it doesn't have to be around the waist if the pants are too tight. Wouldn't take any longer to access than running across the room to your wife's purse...

3) Thunderwear - if the pants aren't too tight in that area

Good Luck!

Really good suggestions. The pants are pleated, so smartcarry/thunderwear may be an option in the future. I doubt I can find one by tomorrow -- though the wonders of INGO could no doubt produce one to be borrowed. Belly band inside dress shirt is a good idea (though I don't have one), and untucked shirt could work, too. That means getting darn informal darn fast...but you do what you have to do...

You are correct. I'm not a pro dancer or anything, but I plan on going at it with at least a bit of energy. If I was gonna do a lazy man's dance I'd just leave the coat on. Like you say, basically any carry is an issue here, unless we're talking an LCP or smaller gun. I think anywhere the G26 is it will be awkward.

If it were me with my white boy dance skills I would use the gun on myself as soon as I were pulled onto the dance floor. Problem solved and embarrasment eluded.

And, the thread is degrading. Funny though.

Duct tape the gun to your body under your shirt? :dunno:

2 points for use of duct tape.

Buy new pants?

This or having them altered -- would have been smart 2 weeks ago. I guess there is time tomorrow morning. Even with that, I wonder if my flying jacket would still expose an IWB holster.

If this were a Middle Eastern wedding, you could just hit the dance floor, gun in the air, firing random rounds upward in full on celebration (never caring where they fall of course).

Future suggestions beginning with "if this were a Middle Eastern wedding" will be ignored. :) :) :ar15::ar15::ar15:

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Talk to the groom and see if he thinks anyone there would have a issue seeing a gun exposed. Chances are he knows the guests pretty well. If him and the wife are ok with it and think their family would not freak out, whats the harm if its exposed.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Just dont have your gun during the reception. Im sure you will be fine being unarmed for a few hours in a reception hall.
    Famous last words... Ever seen an EX show up at a reception pissed off? It happens more than you'd think.

People who want to carry for self defense realize that to be effective you must have it 24/7. You never know when/where you'll need it... and if you did you'd either not be there or you'd have brought a rifle.

Just like a golfer owns a set of golf clubs, a person serious about self defense needs a set of guns.... and a set of appropriate holsters. Period.

FWIW I used a Inviscarry/smartcarry when I was in Florida and night clubbing. HK USP 45 and a spare mag and never had an issue... save for some bumping and grindin with the ladies, but I always brought my own anyway, lol. Swing dancing with your G26 and a smartcarry would be easy.

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I've done quite a bit of swing dancing, and a lot of it while carrying. A .38 derringer in the pocket is the easiest, but I have done pocket carry with a 2" Rossi M88 (think J frame) while dancing as well. Where is the wedding? If you are in Bloomington, leave it in the car. If it's somewhere else, I say leave your coat on.

Top Bottom