• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Pretty much my plan. I'm not doing any gun gymnastics when I get in the car or get out. I'm not interested in a bunch of holstering/unholstering, etc. I carry in the same position (similar to where these other posters indicate they do) when I'm driving, walking, running, sitting at my home computer.
    I understand that completely, and agree.

Not to say it cannot happen, but I try my best to control how close I am to anyone, and hopefully in a position I can move the vehicle. In the event your Civic is in pinning me in, I think the FJ will likely still be able to get me out of the situation. I'm not interested in the gun floating around in the car unholstered, etc. I want that gun on me, and my best bet is using the vehicle as the weapon or preferably the escape tool.

Again, you're probably right. I was just trying to make this a discussion about a means to access your firearm in the vehicle, other than drawing from your on body holster. Floating around in the car is different than in a holster in the car, however, and that was kinda what I was looking for

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Don't plan to draw whilst in the vehicle, but if had to, standard carry system works fine. Can draw from 3-4 w/o issue as others have noted. BUG on ankle is also readily accessible when seated - and a good reason for that BUG location, btw. Guns stay on body. Guns stay holstered. I don't have any reason to go off-body carry due to using a vehicle or be moving guns around.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Keep it simple.
    Where ever you have it, practice - practice - practice.

My guns stay in the same places on my body all day long. House, car, store, shop. I won't add more to my routine like changing locations or guns. I like to keep everything as simple as I can.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Understood, as that has been pointed out previously.

Say you're in the drive thru, cars directly in front and behind you, and someone comes and breaks the glass on either side (which negates your door being locked)

What do you do then? Are you going to get out, pick up your 3k Civic and throw it sideways? Because I had a Civic, and my turn radius was still pretty wide, too wide to do anything in this scenario

Drive thru?! They always screw you in the drive thru.

Myself, my guns are always in the back seat.

[video=youtube;SE4m2s-6FcE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE4m2s-6FcE[/video]

While this is a parody, someone actually thought this was good idea.

You're in control of a far deadlier weapon - your car. Use that, and keep your situational awareness.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Lean foward.

There ya go.

I carry at 3:00 and don't have a problem drawing while seated. Hope to never have to, though. It's better to get the heck out of Dodge. Even more so if you are not driving a Dodge. But that's another thread.......

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I have used shoulder rigs a lot in a vehicle. Also have a Cross draw rig for my 442 S&W, while strong side carrying a G19 at 4:30 OWB. Figure either will work. Sometimes I have a "3 Pistol Pete" wish.... so there you go.

For those with Semi-Autos, a Roto type Kydex may be an option. Fobus is a base model, try their Roto and cljp on your left side crossdraw. Have carried AIWB, don't anymore. Intact anatomy counts. Vehicle... no thanks.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I can draw just fine from a 4 o'clock carry seated in my vehicle...which happens to be a full sized pickup with a split bench seat.

...And i'm not exactly pixie sized.

My hope, however, is to never find myself in a position where this is necessary.

:+1:
    4 o'clock works for me in the car too
    When I'm working from the car and I'm out visiting customers (not carrying), I keep my gun in a Maxpedition shoulder bag (Fat Boy model) that's slung across the back of the passenger's front seat.
    All I have to do is reach behind the passenger seat and pull it out of the bag.
    Not exactly a quick draw, but I can get to it pretty fast and with out fumbling. I've practiced retrieving it that way many times, so I feel confident doing it.
    Having the Maxpedition bag is also nice because I can carry extra mags, flashlight, ect... and it's pretty handy to throw on and go into a store/mall/where ever and people don't look twice at it.
    Most people think it's a camera bag. I got the dark blue one so it doesn't look military or something that people would associate with guns.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I do not.

Go to school and learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBTvWID5uAA

No.

Appendix lasers your legs and junk. Ask Steve Malloy how being shot there works out.

Cross draw or shoulder rigs can work, just ensure you know the drill and get that off hand/elbow UP.

I'm in a vehicle right now, and appendix carrying a Glock 17. With no worries about shooting my junk off. My nuts are fine, and intact, large and in charge.

flintlock9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2013
    Indy
    I was just thinking about this the other day at work but didn't get a chance to hop on and ask the question. But leaning forward is a good point. I carry at about the 4 o'clock and my wallet is in my right rear pocket. If the "bad guy" wants my wallet I'm going to have to lean forward to reach for it. And the draw for either my wallet or the gun looks pretty similar.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I wasn't implying that you were incapable of taking the gun from the holster without shooting yourself, I just wanted clarification. I had thought of having a separate holster in the vehicle, but didn't consider having it just sitting under my leg.

I wasn't implying that you were implying anything. I was being snarky. Not towards you, but to the people that would probably swallow their own head at the thought of it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If carrying on the belt either IWB or OWB the holster sits at 3:30 or 4 o'clock. I generally will tuck my shirt tail or jacket behind the grip for easier access if I have to learn forward while seated.

When pocket carrying I sometimes take the holster and pistol out of the strong side front pants pocket and place inside the weak side jacket pocket. This basically makes it similar to a shoulder holster draw.

As others have mentioned. My first option isn't drawing while in the car. It's getting the heck out of Dodge using the gas pedal and good S/A.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I'm in a vehicle right now, and appendix carrying a Glock 17. With no worries about shooting my junk off. My nuts are fine, and intact, large and in charge.

....I assume that's how you got your screen name? :puke::flasher:

How is it carrying a full size firearm appendix?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom