• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SolubleSpork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Granger and Purdue
    Hey guys, I had a question relating to alcohol and carrying. I want to start off by saying that I do not necessarily think that mixing alcohol and guns is the best idea, but I figured for protection purposes of carrying, a mugger would probably like to chose a stumbling drunk to rob over a sober person who could hold their own.

My question comes from something I seem to remember my friend saying, that it is illegal to shoot or carry (even with LTCH) in Indiana while intoxicated. I dug through all the relevant to firearms sections of Indiana Code some time ago and I don't specifically remember anything relating to the two but I wanted to check if anyone here knew about the topic. I just want to know because my living situation for next year will have me in a long walking distance between the bars and my house but through some not as nice parts of town. When my room mates and I go out, I don't plan to be smashed drunk and carrying, but I would like to know if it is ok to carry or not after I have had a few drinks. Obviously, and I can't stress this enough, if it is legal, I understand I might be asked to leave a location because I am carrying or I might cause problems just by carrying and there are several threads here that discuss these scenarios. I also understand that whatever the case, it is MY job to be responsibile with a firearm, whatever state of mind I am in, and if I were to get too drunk, I would need to be responsible enough to decide if I am fit to carry a loaded firearm at that time. For reference, I would be carrying concealed if that helps anyones discussion.

SolubleSpork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Granger and Purdue
    I feel as though it would kind of similar to deciding if one is OK to be the driver for the night. If someone with alcohol tolerance has one beer with his buddies but they keep drinking, I would not feel unsafe in the vehicle with that person driving. Similar, like I said, but there is a fine line, I just want to know if it is strictly illegal or not.

SolubleSpork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Granger and Purdue
    My question is what if YOU miss, and KILL or injure an INNOCENT ????? WHAT THEN ?????

That is one of the scenarios that my judgement ahead of time would hopefully keep me from getting into. I am a very responsible person and feel as though I would be able to take on the responsibility of not crossing the line where I would go from feeling safe to putting those around me in danger. Or I would decide to drink more and leave my gun at home.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It's not illegal, but that doesn't make it a good idea. Impaired judgment won't bode well for you in court if something were to happen.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    He didn't seem to think the two to make a bad combination:

al-capone-al-capone-smile-gun-far-demotivational-posters-1323679696.jpg

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    If you feel the need to ask, it's generally not a good idea.

Would a beer or two effect your ability to save your life? Maybe, maybe not.

Since you asked for advice, mine would be not to mix the two. If you carry to defend yourself, impairing your senses in any manner is self defeating.

None of us want to, but if you ever have to and the responding officer smells it on your breath, and a legal case results, you have one more possible obstacle to over come to convince a jury that your actions were justifiable.

Last edited:

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    there is nothing wrong with drinking and carrying. ultimately you are responsible for your actions, but clear cut self defense is clear cut self defense.

cardio1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    South of Paradise
    A pilot cannot fly with any alcohol in his system. I wouldn't want him to either.
    Ethanol affects judgement and control.
    You need both if you are carrying a deadly weapon.
    Alcohol=no weapon IMHO

If you did have an event, how would a jury treat your testimony once the prosecutor presented your blood alchohol level?

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    A pilot cannot fly with any alcohol in his system. I wouldn't want him to either.
    Ethanol affects judgement and control.
    You need both if you are carrying a deadly weapon.
    Alcohol=no weapon IMHO

If you did have an event, how would a jury treat your testimony once the prosecutor presented your blood alchohol level?

what would it matter. so because my BAC was .08 i was wrong in shootiing after he pulled a knife/gun/punched me?

shadohman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    When my room mates and I go out, I don't plan to be smashed drunk and carrying, but I would like to know if it is ok to carry or not after I have had a few drinks.

The safest answer is no. While it may be legal to have one drink, the question is how much can you imbibe before it affects your judgement, for some that can be one beer.

I also understand that whatever the case, it is MY job to be responsibile with a firearm, whatever state of mind I am in, and if I were to get too drunk, I would need to be responsible enough to decide if I am fit to carry a loaded firearm at that time.

If you decide to drink while carrying, never drink enough to become impaired let alone legally intoxicated.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom