"Cartel Land"...New film with a raw look at vigilantism and the drug war......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I decided to put this in the political forum rather than break room....Seems to be a true documentary film where the director is just telling the story and doesn't let an agenda or a message get in the way of documenting the story....It seems to cross political lines because of this....It profiles two men from both sides of the border that decided to take the fight to the Cartels when neither (USA or the Mexican) Government seems to want to do anything.....

I just saw the trailer and thought the INGO political forum would enjoy it....One question it raises is whether Vigilantism is ever okay???? Is there a "rule of law" when no one is obeying the law? Do free men have the right to do what Governments seem incapable (or reluctant) to do anything about???? Does "supply and demand" mean we should all (including these guys) just back off if we believe in a true free market????

I don't know but I do know this....This film looks awesome...Even if only for the guns used....

[video=youtube;6JD7hPM_yxg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JD7hPM_yxg[/video]

Looks like the reviews are cutting across political lines as well.....

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cartel_land/

These reviews seems to sum it up pretty well....

Some documentaries are about answers. Others are about questions. "Cartel Land" is about the hazy territory in between ...
    Full Review… | July 9, 2015

user.none.tmb.jpg

Suzanne Condie Lambert
    Arizona Republic
    Top Critic

Without passing moral judgments on either group, "Cartel Land" provides a vivid illustration of the dangers inherent whenever a government fails to meet its citizens' needs to the extent that they take matters into their own hands.
    Full Review… | July 10, 2015

user.none.tmb.jpg

Marc Mohan
    Oregonian

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Interesting.

If you were living in that area of the country and it was all you ever knew, would you step up to protect it.....????????????

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Interesting.

If you were living in that area of the country and it was all you ever knew, would you step up to protect it.....????????????

I thought about that quite a bit last night...Mother in Law is visiting from Argentina and she, the wife and I watched the trailer and discussed it afterwards....Ma in Law said a similar thing happened in a rural district of Argentina where vigilantes hung a couple of murderers and thieves in public and left the bodies hanging...The police down there are pretty corrupt and the people got tired of it and did something about it...From what I understand after that incident the Government stepped back up to the plate...

At this stage and age in my life I would have to say I would protect what was mine.....I would protect my property and my family but I wouldn't go hunting them down...Maybe twenty years ago....Maybe not....I may just be one of those sheepdogs that only worries about his or her herd and the stretch of Earth that we occupy....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I thought about that quite a bit last night...Mother in Law is visiting from Argentina and she, the wife and I watched the trailer and discussed it afterwards....Ma in Law said a similar thing happened in a rural district of Argentina where vigilantes hung a couple of murderers and thieves in public and left the bodies hanging...The police down there are pretty corrupt and the people got tired of it and did something about it...From what I understand after that incident the Government stepped back up to the plate...

At this stage and age in my life I would have to say I would protect what was mine.....I would protect my property and my family but I wouldn't go hunting them down...Maybe twenty years ago....Maybe not....I may just be one of those sheepdogs that only worries about his or her herd and the stretch of Earth that we occupy....

Pretty well covers my opinion. We protect what is ours.....vehemently. There has been a change in the mindset of many who move around a lot in the city. They come into an area.....rent or flop with a friend and soon after the stoooopid follows them. LEO has done a stellar job around here of late and we salute them in their efforts. A year ago it was wild wild west and we stood our ground. Those who were causing the issues knew we were stead fast in our beliefs and gave us a wide birth.

20 years ago we would have sought them out. Age and wisdom has changed that mindset to one like yours. My son/SIL have the same views. Unless you cross the fence with your stoooopid we tend to stand back. If you begin to terrorize the weak that attitude is likely to change.

Pretty peaceful around here these days.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Pretty well covers my opinion. We protect what is ours.....vehemently. There has been a change in the mindset of many who move around a lot in the city. They come into an area.....rent or flop with a friend and soon after the stoooopid follows them. LEO has done a stellar job around here of late and we salute them in their efforts. A year ago it was wild wild west and we stood our ground. Those who were causing the issues knew we were stead fast in our beliefs and gave us a wide birth.

20 years ago we would have sought them out. Age and wisdom has changed that mindset to one like yours. My son/SIL have the same views. Unless you cross the fence with your stoooopid we tend to stand back. If you begin to terrorize the weak that attitude is likely to change.

You and I are awesome in our wisdom and the thread is too uncontroversial to get many views. The rest of INGO will remain blind to our mystical sage like qualities....:)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Spent a lot of time just across the border during the 90s-20s, people I worked with just kept their head down. Those guys are mean, make city thug wannabes around here look like babies, they buy you or kill you at the drop of a hat. Makes me glad I live far away.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Interesting.

You guys summed it up pretty good, I wouldn't go looking for it, but if you want it I'll meet you at the gate.
    Now like CM said, if I see you praying on my elderly neighbors (weak),I just might step through the gate and meet you in the road.

Droogie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2015
    Zionsville
    so it was not all it was cracked up to be? Can you give us some insight.

The movie descriptions sums it up pretty well.
    With unprecedented access, CARTEL LAND is a riveting, on-the-ground look at the journeys of two modern-day vigilante groups and their shared enemy - the murderous Mexican drug cartels. In the Mexican state of Michoacán, Dr. Jose Mireles, a small-town physician known as "El Doctor," leads the Autodefensas, a citizen uprising against the violent Knights Templar drug cartel that has wreaked havoc on the region for years. Meanwhile, in Arizona's Altar Valley - a narrow, 52-mile-long desert corridor known as Cocaine Alley - Tim "Nailer" Foley, an American veteran, heads a small paramilitary group called Arizona Border Recon, whose goal is to stop Mexico's drug wars from seeping across our border. Filmmaker Matthew Heineman embeds himself in the heart of darkness as Nailer, El Doctor, and the cartel each vie to bring their own brand of justice to a society where institutions have failed.

Keep in mind that 95% of critics liked it, and 84% of audiences liked it. My problem is that I didn't like anyone in the movie. It's not that they were "flawed heroes", they just weren't likable people. On top of that, there was an awful lot of unsafe gun handling. :) It was interesting, just not something that's going to keep me thinking about it long after the movie is over.

Droogie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2015
    Zionsville
    I thought it was a documentary so then it would be real people right.
    Yes. Real people on both sides of the border.

The vigilantes on the American side of the border weren't treated very sympathetically.
    The vigilantes on the Mexican side promptly turned into new bad guys as soon as they took control.

Top Bottom