• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You fireform to double your bullet diameter?
    No, but some wildcats do, that was my point. I don't think making AI cases is an accurate comparison because the changes to the shoulder are the equivalent to only a few reloading cycles.

How many loadings do you get out of your AI cases on average?

What brass are you using? The only brass I've heard of having much in the way of primer pocket issues is federal, and that is because their brass is softer. That would explain why you have primer pocket issues before neck issues.

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    It wouldn't explain why I have primer pocket 'issues' because I don't use Federal brass.

Describe the process of fireforming a case to double the bullet diameter. Say Chambering A to Chambering B, your picks, in what chamber. Curious...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It wouldn't explain why I have primer pocket 'issues' because I don't use Federal brass.

Describe the process of fireforming a case to double the bullet diameter. Say Chambering A to Chambering B, your picks, in what chamber. Curious...
    You either don't understand how cases are formed, and how many handloaders make wildcat cases, or you're being a smarta$$. Either way your posts don't belong in this thread. You posted that you don't have problems with AI cases cracking at the necks, that was the end of your informative posts. Now, either tell the whole story or don't, I don't care, but I'm tired of arguing with you. There are definitely merits in annealing, especially when forming cases, otherwise the commercial manufacturers wouldn't anneal their brass during and after case forming. Do you not understand that?

ETA, can you answer the question about how many reloads you're getting and what kind of brass you're using? Or you're trying to be obscure about that for some unknown reason?

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I understand how cases are formed and I've seen many handloaders do it, both the right way and wrong.

As far as reloads I'm getting: it depends. I have 9 AI chamberings represented as of last count and a few of those in multiple copies. If I pick the Hornet I have to say I don't know because I've never culled a case. I haven't shot it much, but that is still probably a lot.

The KHornet though, I don't I've had culls but since it isn't an AI I didn't look it up.

I have a Ken Light annealer drawing dust regardless.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Little tidbit of information I picked up yesterday...maybe useful, maybe not.

I talked to a guy who sold me some stainless tumbling media. We shot the **** for awhile and he apparently has been shooting at Camp Perry since 1954. A real old crusty bastard that has a wealth of shooting information. He claimed to have a batch 30-06 brass that has been reloaded 157 times, and one case that has been loaded 187 times with no cracking or splitting. His claim was annealing the brass is completely useless and counter-productive. He felt like stress relief of the brass is the real key. He also said the key is to use the same reamer on all of your chambers. This way the brass will eventually stabilize and not grow any longer. None of his brass changes after he fires it in length, neck location, or shape.

I don't reload rifle brass yet so maybe this means more to some of you than to me.

I'll also say that I'm a materials engineer and the amount of junior metallurgy going on in the brass-working areas of forums makes me cringe. Be careful whose advice you listen to, test thoroughly, and be safe.

Top Bottom