• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have used the Nu Finish process when I was dry tumbling. I messed up the first time I used it because I didn’t allow mixing time before I added my brass. I had clumps of Polish and media inside the cases that had to be manually removed. That sucked like a straw factory.

How long do you allow the polish and MS to blend before adding the brass?

I add the Nu Finish and mineral spirits turn the tumbler on for 10 minutes then add the brass.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Im with you Jim. I used dry tumblers for many years with corn cob or walnut shells. Both did a good job but the walnut shells worked better for me.

Then I got introduced to wet tumbling. My dry tumblers never get used anymore. In a two hour process I can load 1,000 rounds, wet tumble 1,000 and dry a 1,000 in a dehydrator.

The only difference going from wet to dry in the loading process is I add some of the Hornady or Dillon spray lube to make the handle pull easier.

I have the same FA tumbler you have pictured and two Thumbler Tumblers. I like the FA the best. Plus no more media getting stuck in the primer pockets.

Wait....What...Woops.... You have posted you are the super loader that can load a 1,000 rounds per hour on your 650's with bullet feeders....

Talk about drinking the Koolaid....
    Three wet tumblers...lol... All that when one big Dillon will do it all... Three wet tumblers.... lol....You guys are funny.... dam, I peed a little laughing so hard...

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Wait....What...Woops.... You have posted you are the super loader that can load a 1,000 rounds per hour on your 650's with bullet feeders....

Talk about drinking the Koolaid....
    Three wet tumblers...lol... All that when one big Dillon will do it all... Three wet tumblers.... lol....You guys are funny.... dam, I peed a little laughing so hard...

I feel really special that a cool guy like you would take time to search my post and remember so much about me. I didn’t even know I had a fan club.....

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I feel really special that a cool guy like you would take time to search my post and remember so much about me. I didn’t even know I had a fan club.....

Funny thing about having great retention skills, That circle didn't take long to complete....
    Maybe you recall admonishing me a few days back when I jumped on a deal I found and even though I offered it to the entire membership here before I took full advantage of it and I was in fact a bad person for cheating someone else who truly needs what I bought.
    I had to laugh yet again at the true irony of your statement when a few minutes ago you were posting I"LL TAKE IT....I"LL TAKE IT... but even though you have a few Dillon machines you snatched it out from under someone who most likely does not have a semi progressive press and certainly would be a much better candidate that you.
    You made the statement, don't talk the talk unless you walk the walk... Give it to the second member in line...

Funny thing about that press... That you will never know.. Sorry OP for the intrusion.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Funny thing about having great retention skills, That circle didn't take long to complete....
    Maybe you recall admonishing me a few days back when I jumped on a deal I found and even though I offered it to the entire membership here before I took full advantage of it and I was in fact a bad person for cheating someone else who truly needs what I bought.
    I had to laugh yet again at the true irony of your statement when a few minutes ago you were posting I"LL TAKE IT....I"LL TAKE IT... but even though you have a few Dillon machines you snatched it out from under someone who most likely does not have a semi progressive press and certainly would be a much better candidate that you.
    You made the statement, don't talk the talk unless you walk the walk... Give it to the second member in line...

Funny thing about that press... That you will never know.. Sorry OP for the intrusion.

Dude I’m a happily married man to a beautiful woman. I can tell your infatuated with me but I don’t swing like that.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I switched to the FA wet tumbler a few years back and have hardly looked back. Cleaning without the stainless media mostly suits my needs for no hassle brass cleaning.

NuFinish does work well for dry vibratory cleaning with corn cob or walnut. A cap full run by itself for 15 minutes, before the brass goes in, circulates the mix to run a few loads of brass before more is needed.

A used dryer sheet (cut in pieces to cover more ground,) was an always with me. I'm not sure that used dried out hand sanitizer wipes don't do just as well? Or even used Bounty paper towels out of the trash can?

No idea when I'll venture back up to Indy, but I have an extra bottle of NuFinish for my friend snuffy33, if he wants to try it. :ingo:

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, I know. I'll mix a little of my Flitz Media Polish, toss in some dryer sheets and call it good. Later guys.

OP, I'm guessing you got your answers by now.

For a minute I thought this was a IWB vs OWB thread.:):

Yeah, the usual suspects and their "my way is the ONLY way and your way sucks." opinions. Not surprised in the least.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Yeah, the usual suspects and their "my way is the ONLY way and your way sucks." opinions. Not surprised in the least.

I didn't even mention the plastic media with abrasive, common in commerical metal cleaning & polishing,
    But since the self appointed 'Old Guard Regulators' on this forum have never heard of it, it will be immedately dismissed, and me insulted for mentioning it.

I've been trying to get one manufacturer to make 0.16" balls or bologna cut tubes that wouldn't wedge in any center fire case anywhere.
    The 0.250" balls work stupid well on everything with a neck but won't clean flash holes or primer pockets.
    They are STUPID fast at cleaning, wet or dry... Which is why industry uses them, time is money,
    But a new idea is as hard to get introduced as the old wives tales are to get rid of...

A 'Table Top' version of a 'Cement Mixer', something that swivels mouth down so you can power screen out media, discharge water, ect would be a REAL good idea for the larger home reloaders.
    Works with all media types, and like I said, power screening out media while retaining brass in the drum is a great deal.
    But again, since it's not an old school vibratory tumbler made from consumer grade motors and plastic, completely idiot proof, it's going timber crapped on by the 'Regulators' of the 'Old Guard'...

I've been messing with a food mixer version (high torque, variable speed motor) but it's not a direct/easy switch over anyone can do...
    It's like case prep tools, two driven ports in a hand mixer, I use champfer/bevel or primer pocket tools in mine, which has an upright stand made for it, but since it's not made in plastic and marketed by a 'Reloading Company' the fan boys here approve of, the idea got crapped on here.
    Dirt cheap, high torque, variable speed, easy to operate, does the job just as well, and for longer duration as the 'Commercial' case prep 'Centers' (with faster tool changes) but it's not something *They* thought of...

For me, it's about APPLICATION...
    The VOLUME someone does, the 300 a year guy won't need the equipment a 3,000/hour guy will need.

The BUDGET someone has to work with, not everyone can dump thousands of dollars on a specialized piece of equipment (that is NEVER commercial/industral grade. Always 'Consumer/Disposable'...
    The 'Cheapest' functioning cleaner is a water tight container, soap & water, oven or fan dry. About anyone can swing a half gallon-gallon jar and a way to dry brass.
    The 'Consumable' costs are a few drops of dish soap, water & drying method.

AND YET...

There are still plenty saying that simple washing WON'T WORK (like it does for everything else on the planet...).

It still baffles me how anyone still listens to some of these guys...

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I didn't even mention the plastic media with abrasive, common in commerical metal cleaning & polishing,
    But since the self appointed 'Old Guard Regulators' on this forum have never heard of it, it will be immedately dismissed, and me insulted for mentioning it.

I've been trying to get one manufacturer to make 0.16" balls or bologna cut tubes that wouldn't wedge in any center fire case anywhere.
    The 0.250" balls work stupid well on everything with a neck but won't clean flash holes or primer pockets.
    They are STUPID fast at cleaning, wet or dry... Which is why industry uses them, time is money,
    But a new idea is as hard to get introduced as the old wives tales are to get rid of...

A 'Table Top' version of a 'Cement Mixer', something that swivels mouth down so you can power screen out media, discharge water, ect would be a REAL good idea for the larger home reloaders.
    Works with all media types, and like I said, power screening out media while retaining brass in the drum is a great deal.
    But again, since it's not an old school vibratory tumbler made from consumer grade motors and plastic, completely idiot proof, it's going timber crapped on by the 'Regulators' of the 'Old Guard'...

I've been messing with a food mixer version (high torque, variable speed motor) but it's not a direct/easy switch over anyone can do...
    It's like case prep tools, two driven ports in a hand mixer, I use champfer/bevel or primer pocket tools in mine, which has an upright stand made for it, but since it's not made in plastic and marketed by a 'Reloading Company' the fan boys here approve of, the idea got crapped on here.
    Dirt cheap, high torque, variable speed, easy to operate, does the job just as well, and for longer duration as the 'Commercial' case prep 'Centers' (with faster tool changes) but it's not something *They* thought of...

For me, it's about APPLICATION...
    The VOLUME someone does, the 300 a year guy won't need the equipment a 3,000/hour guy will need.

The BUDGET someone has to work with, not everyone can dump thousands of dollars on a specialized piece of equipment (that is NEVER commercial/industral grade. Always 'Consumer/Disposable'...
    The 'Cheapest' functioning cleaner is a water tight container, soap & water, oven or fan dry. About anyone can swing a half gallon-gallon jar and a way to dry brass.
    The 'Consumable' costs are a few drops of dish soap, water & drying method.

AND YET...

There are still plenty saying that simple washing WON'T WORK (like it does for everything else on the planet...).

It still baffles me how anyone still listens to some of these guys...

This sounds like something to look into. Do the balls sift clean away from the bowl or cases or does static keep some around?

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    This sounds like something to look into. Do the balls sift clean away from the bowl or cases or does static keep some around?

They drop clean when dry, may need a little flushing when wet (like pins/chips do), wet surface tension can keep anything a little stuck...

I tried ceramic balls & bologna cut tubes but they are stupid hard on sharp edges, which makes sense because they are intended for deburring...
    Go figure! ;)
    Not the best things to keep crisp edges on things like extraction rims,
    Just for future reference if you see full ceramic and not plastic/polish grit tumbler abrasives... I made that mistake for you :)

I've seen (but won't use) things like (.177 Cal) BBs, old primers, stuff like that.
    In have two issues with using common steel (BBs) and that's either rust, or the kerosene needed to keep them from rusting,
    And the unreliability of spent primers to clean things.
    Primers are soft and round over really quickly, so no sharp/abrasive edges, so about worthless quickly, and often difficult to separate from brass, particularly when liquids are used.

1/4" (0.250") plastic/abrasive balls work pretty well, but that leaves out with a neck size under 0.250" since the ball can't get in when new.
    A 0.250" ball doesn't get into corners, primer pockets or flash holes either, mostly a workhorse cleaner for serious tarnish issues (brown brass).
    A 0.17" bologna cut 'Stick' could do primer pockets, extraction grooves, and internal cases, but not flash holes.
    That doesn't worry me too much, the decapping rod on most dies cleans the flash holes pretty well...

I *Try* to stay away from chemicals when I can...
    What's legal today might not be tomorrow, so mostly citrus based acids and organic waxes when I need chemicals.
    As long as manual abrasion works time/cost efficiently, I'm going that way, no EPA to jump up and bite me in the butt later.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    IBTL.

Lots of good info in here for a newb just getting started, and it looks like there is more than one way to skin a cat, might depend on how much hair you want to live with.
    Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom