• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22collector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Warsaw
    I need some recipie help for cast .308 (really .309) bullets. I have had success with jacketed bullets as follows:

180 gr SP
    44 gr Varget

However, when I use the same powder charge for a 164 gr cast bullet with a gas check, it's all over the place. How can I improve the accuracy?

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Castpics.net has a searchable database which I pulled up but didn't find any loads using Varget. The info is HERE

Personally, I would start with a lower charge and work my way up, you may be pushing it a little too much. I cast 170 grainers from a Lee C309-170-F mould and have found that above 2200 FPS any accuracy pretty much goes out the window.

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Castpics.net has a searchable database which I pulled up but didn't find any loads using Varget. The info is HERE

Personally, I would start with a lower charge and work my way up, you may be pushing it a little too much. I cast 170 grainers from a Lee C309-170-F mould and have found that above 2200 FPS any accuracy pretty much goes out the window.
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ Cast bullets, gas check or not, the powder is ALWAYS a LIGHTER charge ..... :twocents:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    What kind of velocities are you getting on the jacketed load (book should give an idea)
    If you push the lead too fast you'll lose proper rifling engagement. I'm surprised you're not seeing
    Keyholing at this loading. And terrible lead fouling. Check out Layman's cast bullet handbook.
    I think they reccomend keeping gas check bullets under 2000fps.....but it's been a while since I've looked at the numbers.

22collector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Warsaw
    What kind of velocities are you getting on the jacketed load (book should give an idea.

The books says 175 gr jacketed with 45 gr of Varget is moving at 2690. Since I'm using a 180 gr bullet with 44 gr of powder, I'd estimate in the 2500-2600 range. That does seem hot for a cast bullet. I don't have a book for cast bullets. Any idea on where to start - how low can I go and not get a bullet stuck in the barrel?

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Not really sure as I'm goofing off at work and don't have my Lyman book handy. 2600 does not
    sound like a lead load to me..probably half that to start...DON'T. TAKE HEARSAY LOADS OFF THE
    FORUM...you can look loads up at specific sites in the web. Or go buy the book, the best
    money you'll spend. Where did you get the idea you could load a gas check load at jacketed
    bullet velocities? Have you checked your barrel? I can't believe you haven't noticed bad fouling.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Not really sure as I'm goofing off at work and don't have my Lyman book handy. 2600 does not
    sound like a lead load to me..probably half that to start...DON'T. TAKE HEARSAY LOADS OFF THE
    FORUM...you can look loads up at specific sites in the web. Or go buy the book, the best
    money you'll spend. Where did you get the idea you could load a gas check load at jacketed
    bullet velocities? Have you checked your barrel? I can't believe you haven't noticed bad fouling.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fumble fingers and a tiny phone..... Good call 22collector. There is no common sense without knowledge
    Knowledge is priceless....ignorance is expensive.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Thanks to all...off to the online bookstore to pick up some common sense!

That's the spirit! Cast bullets (boolits) are a completely different critter compared to jacketed. You'll find that heavy and slow cast bullets can be extremely accurate and effective not to mention just plain fun to shoot. Get your loading manual, study it and go check out the CASTBOOLITS website.

Load safe, shoot safe.

Top Bottom